Contribute
Register

New AMD Radeon VII on my Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well hard to say exactly what it is. Mouse is totally frozen. I suggested a USB issue because the screen was updating and I caps lock and number lock didn't illuminate their respective lights on the keyboard.

Edit: it's definitely freezing and I can't fugue out the next direction to go. Tried a fresh mojave install and still hangs eventually.
Were you able to figure this out? I am having the same issues. Even tried disabling the sound via kext as another thread indicated that would work and no luck. Just about to sell this thing and move back to windows.

Haven't been able to figure it out yet. Haven't exactly gotten a total freeze lately, but when stress testing in Resolve, the app will hang and then slowly the rest of the system starts to lag/hang.

Has anyone had any luck booting with Radeon VII and IGPU enabled? I have no problems inside the case or in egpu when igpu is disabled or auto. When I turn it on, I get the prohibited sign from clover immediately. I'm trying to use iMac 19,1 with the headless platform-id 0x3E980003.

Still getting total system freezes. Figured out the application hangs was due to the Atto 10g card in the system, but these total system freezes are a mystery and very annoying. Almost prefer the KPs I was getting in Sierra with Nvidia because at least then the system would restart itself.

Still getting total system freezes. Figured out the application hangs was due to the Atto 10g card in the system, but these total system freezes are a mystery and very annoying. Almost prefer the KPs I was getting in Sierra with Nvidia because at least then the system would restart itself.

I have system freezes for a few seconds (10s-ish) when playing Dota2 (basically the only GPU heavy app I use) all the time from 10.14.5 to 10.15.0

Not sure if this is a macOS issue or it is Dota2 to blame.

Geekbench 5 gives about 50,000 for OpenCL, the best I got was 60,000.

The performance of this card is so much BETTER with Windows, based on the FPS/stability while gaming.

Since AMD already discontinued this card, I don't think  or AMD would improve the driver anymore.

I wish that AMD would sell Radeon Pro Vega II directly to consumers after Mac Pro releases.

Since AMD already discontinued this card, I don't think  or AMD would improve the driver anymore.

Vega20 is used in MacPro7,1.

It has been suggested that the HBM2 memory may be causing the issues. Hynix, Samsung memory is different and one of those may not be very compatible in OSX.

My Radeon VII has Hynix and works fine.

Could anyone with Radeon VII and 4k display try to use scaled resolution on it? Like 2560x1440, for example. On any HiDPI resolutons besides 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 Radeon VII I see slight image stuttering when resizing windows, scrolling heavy web pages, even opening App or Downloads folder in the dock. BruceX test needs 15 seconds to complete in any scaled resolution and 10 seconds in resolutions 1920x1080 or 3840x2160.
I tested RX560 and RX590 - everything is butter smooth in all scaled/not scaled resolutions.

As a test you can try to resize browser window with opened www.hackintosh-forum.de main page. Or even scroll it.

I tested it on z370, z390, mojave, catalina 10.15.1 beta 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back