Contribute
Register

New AMD Radeon VII on my Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some investigation of the BIOS files that are on techpowerup. Some of the branded ones are duplicates of what appears to be the stock AMD BIOS, which is this one: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/209475/amd-radeonvii-16384-190211-1

All but one of the others didn't pass RSA signature check, so I think they're illegitimate:

Code:
C:\Users\Human\Downloads\atiflash>amdvbflash.exe -rsa AMD.RadeonVII.16384.190211.rom
The result of RSA signature verify is FAILED.

C:\Users\Human\Downloads\atiflash>amdvbflash.exe -rsa AMD.RadeonVII.16384.190211_1.rom
The result of RSA signature verify is PASS. [This is the BIOS my ASRock card has as stock.]

C:\Users\Human\Downloads\atiflash>amdvbflash.exe -rsa ASRock.RadeonVII.16384.190119.rom
The result of RSA signature verify is PASS. [This is the only older UEFI-enabled BIOS. I tried it, but didn't help my issue.]

C:\Users\Human\Downloads\atiflash>amdvbflash.exe -rsa MSI.RadeonVII.16384.190211.rom

C:\Users\Human\Downloads\atiflash>amdvbflash.exe -rsa Sapphire.RadeonVII.16384.190211.rom

@MACAK, could you do me a favor and dump your VBIOS with GPU-Z and post it here? I'd like to rule out this issue of alternative BIOSes before I try out an upgrade to Catalina.

Do you have instructions on the process?

No MS Windows on my workstation.

You could do it with a USB stick and FreeDOS. These are instructions for making a FreeDOS USB in OS X: http://theendoftheuniver.se/ramblin...-flashing-the-bios-on-an-hp-n40l-microserver/

Download location for FreeDOS USB "lite": http://www.freedos.org/download/

You just have to use the dd command to write FD12LITE.img to your USB stick. The first link has context for doing so.

Copy amdvbflash.exe and the .sys files onto the USB from this zip file: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/

Now to boot it, you have to enable CSM in your BIOS if it's not already enabled. You can turn it back off, after.

The command once you're booted into FreeDOS, and have a shell, would then be:

Code:
amdvbflash -s 0 vbios.rom

When you reboot back into OS X, you should have that vbios.rom file on the flash drive.

If you decide to try it, thank you!

I'm switching my build to Intel. Still want to keep the Radeon "Other" (so mature) card if I can though. It's the XFX version. Someone checked the VBIOS tonight and said it was up to date. But, it still wasn't functioning properly in the other build.

I'm switching my build to Intel. Still want to keep the Radeon "Other" (so mature) card if I can though. It's the XFX version. Someone checked the VBIOS tonight and said it was up to date. But, it still wasn't functioning properly in the other build.

All the Radeon VIIs are reference and are the same.

Since there's native macOS support for it, it should be just plug-n-play. Like I said, I never did anything other than plug it in.

All the Radeon VIIs are reference and are the same.

Since there's native macOS support for it, it should be just plug-n-play. Like I said, I never did anything other than plug it in.

I've spent over 40 hours dealing with it in my previous build. If you're saying they're plug and play for Intel builds then great. Great news for me.

Also, how did you setup your signature that way? Manually? Believe it or not, I looked for the sacred rules, codes of conduct, etc. and did not find them. That may have something to do with me troubleshooting a flawed build for the last 21 straight hours. But... yeah.

I've spent over 40 hours dealing with it in my previous build. If you're saying they're plug and play for Intel builds then great. Great news for me.

Also, how did you setup your signature that way? Manually? Believe it or not, I looked for the sacred rules, codes of conduct, etc. and did not find them. That may have something to do with me troubleshooting a flawed build for the last 21 straight hours. But... yeah.

if you haven’t already torn down your system, you’re sure you had lilu and whatevergreen installed in the right place and verified that they were being loaded by the system?

Terminal:
Kextstat | grep -v com.apple

if you haven’t already torn down your system, you’re sure you had lilu and whatevergreen installed in the right place and verified that they were being loaded by the system?

Terminal:
Kextstat | grep -v com.apple

Haven't torn it down. Yes, they're in the correct place. I even had an enterprising young college student who knows more than me about all this look into it, literally. He spent 4-5 straight hours checking things. I installed Windows to check the card's BIOS, etc. Verdict: As a innocent as forgotten black men in jail. I've done nothing wrong here. The system is just being a b*tch. :'(

Haven't torn it down. Yes, they're in the correct place. I even had an enterprising young college student who knows more than me about all this look into it, literally. He spent 4-5 straight hours checking things. I installed Windows to check the card's BIOS, etc. Verdict: As a innocent as forgotten black men in jail. I've done nothing wrong here. The system is just being a b*tch. :'(

And just so we’re 1000% clear, you’ve checked that they’re LOADING, yes? There have been some changes to clover and to MacOs recently that will prevent kexts from loading even when they appear to be in the right place. I don’t mean to badger you, just trying to save you a rebuild. (There has to be a real reason why the cards aren’t working)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back