Contribute
Register

Need help with 10.14 / MacPro-ish configuration (total noob!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for not posting something sooner. I was also spent and only waited around for 20 minutes or so after my last post before I went to bed -- and then proceeded to have a very busy weekend away from the computer.

Since you did not post what happens when you start or shut down the newly created macOSMojave system after creating the System Disk Clone, nor did you post the details of how you created the Clonezilla USB installer in macOSMojave and created a clone of macOSmojave system disk on another disk, I guess there are no booting or shutting down issues.

I continue to have the panic on shutdown, and the installer (from the 10.14.5 update) is still the default boot option in Clover on startup, necessitating that I hit an arrow key during the 3 seconds before it continues to boot into that default. I'm attaching screen shots of both. The black screen is the panic on shutdown.

I did have another option on the clover screen as well (something about "preboot") but based on some of your comments in a different thread that you had linked here previously, I figured out how to hide that option. Should I similarly just hide the installer option too? That's an OK option but not fantastic as it does leave behind a bit of clutter. I'd rather delete it and free up that disk space if possible. (I'd even be willing to start over from scratch -- I feel like I could get back to this point pretty quickly now with what I've learned in this thread...)

Attachments

• IMG_20190528_095035.jpg
    IMG_20190528_095035.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20190528_095347.jpg
    IMG_20190528_095347.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Sorry for not posting something sooner. I was also spent and only waited around for 20 minutes or so after my last post before I went to bed -- and then proceeded to have a very busy weekend away from the computer.

I continue to have the panic on shutdown, and the installer (from the 10.14.5 update) is still the default boot option in Clover on startup, necessitating that I hit an arrow key during the 3 seconds before it continues to boot into that default. I'm attaching screen shots of both. The black screen is the panic on shutdown.

I did have another option on the clover screen as well (something about "preboot") but based on some of your comments in a different thread that you had linked here previously, I figured out how to hide that option. Should I similarly just hide the installer option too? That's an OK option but not fantastic as it does leave behind a bit of clutter. I'd rather delete it and free up that disk space if possible. (I'd even be willing to start over from scratch -- I feel like I could get back to this point pretty quickly now with what I've learned in this thread...)
  • To get rid of that pesky ”Boot macOS Install from Mojave” icon from Clover Boot Manager screen, reboot to System Desktop clicking your the Middle icon of macOSMojave
    • Once on the Desktop, launch Terminal
    • On the Terminal type or copy and paste the following command:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES [ENTER]

• Next Press the Windows key+Alt Key +Esc to get a Popup and then click on "Finder" from the list of apps in that popup and then click "Relaunch Finder" button that now shows up at bottom right of the popup.
  • This will make all hidden Folders and Files in your System Disk visible to you to find the file responsible for that annoying macOS Installer Icon on CBM screen
    • The file you are looking for is "MacOS Data"somewhere in your macOS Mojave System disk.
    • It can be a Folder by that name.
  • If you have made your System disk icon visible on the Right side of Desktop by Clicking Finder>Preferences>[√] all 4 boxes then, go to next step
  • Click open Your MacOS Mojave System disk icon
  • In the numerous folders and files locate "MacOS Data"file or Folder >Rt click "MacOS Data">Send to Trash
  • Now reboot and check CBM screen to see if Boot macOS install from Mojave has gone.
  • help.

Attachments

• 1.Boot macOS Mojave Install .png
    1.Boot macOS Mojave Install .png
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
On the Terminal type or copy and paste the following command:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES [ENTER]

• Next Press the Windows key+Alt Key +Esc to get a Popup and then click on "Finder" from the list of apps in that popup and then click "Relaunch Finder" button that now shows up at bottom right of the popup.
  • This will make all hidden Folders and Files in your System Disk visibleto you to find the file responsible for that annoying macOS Installer Icon on CBM screen

@cmn699,

Thats a very complicated way to show hidden files ....

In Mojave all you have to do is select the root folder in Finder and hold down the SHIFT + CMD keys and then press the full-stop key '.' to toggle hidden files being shown (or not) ...

Cheers
Jay

Could this be it? The folder name is a little different "macOS Install Data" but otherwise it seems likely... This is in the root of my Mojave drive.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-28 12.10.20.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-28 12.10.20.png
    272.2 KB · Views: 49
Never mind my last question: emboldened by having my backup drive I decided to just delete it and see if that worked. It did. No issues on startup, now! I guess I'll go ahead and re-clone the drive while I wait for advice on the shutdown-panic issue.

Drive clone complete, and I took pictures of every step this time so I can post a guide for drive cloning in a new thread.

I think the only remaining issue is the shutdown panic. :)

After that, my only question is what I should do to enable myself to dual-boot Windows on another drive. I did a couple minutes of searching and found this thread, which I suppose is where I will start once we're finished with the shutdown panic.

Last edited:
Drive clone complete, and I took pictures of every step this time so I can post a guide for drive cloning in a new thread.

I think the only remaining issue is the shutdown panic. :)

After that, my only question is what I should do to enable myself to dual-boot Windows on another drive. I did a couple minutes of searching and found this thread, which I suppose is where I will start once we're finished with the shutdown panic.
I think the only remaining issue is the shutdown panic.
Since many things might have changed in the course of all what was done till now, please upload the current CLOVER as zipped file from the EFI\EFI of macOSMojave System SSD, Current BIOS choices as screen shots and the screen shots of current /Library Extensions and System/Library /Extensions to find clues to what cause the KP

While gathering these materials I found that jpeg rendering still isn't working. I don't think we ended up fixing that but I got distracted by the attempted fix breaking things.

As requested...

Library/Extensions all fit into 1 screen shot. System/Library/Extensions required 4 to fit them all in.

For the BIOS photos, all of the "peripherals_{something}" photos are sub-sections of the peripherals sections.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 42
  • Sys_Library_Ext_5.png
    Sys_Library_Ext_5.png
    487.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Library_Extensions.png
    Library_Extensions.png
    437.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Sys_Library_Ext_4.png
    Sys_Library_Ext_4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • Sys_Library_Ext_3.png
    Sys_Library_Ext_3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • Sys_Library_Ext_2.png
    Sys_Library_Ext_2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • Sys_Library_Ext_1.png
    Sys_Library_Ext_1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • peripherals_SATA.jpg
    peripherals_SATA.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 36
  • peripherals_plug_in_devices.jpg
    peripherals_plug_in_devices.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 31
  • peripherals_NVMe.jpg
    peripherals_NVMe.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 34
  • peripherals_Network_stack.jpg
    peripherals_Network_stack.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 34
  • peripherals_Trusted_Computing.jpg
    peripherals_Trusted_Computing.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 29
  • peripherals_USB.jpg
    peripherals_USB.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 29
  • power.jpg
    power.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 40
  • Chipset.jpg
    Chipset.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 36
  • peripherals.jpg
    peripherals.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 32
  • bios.jpg
    bios.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 42
While gathering these materials I found that jpeg rendering still isn't working. I don't think we ended up fixing that but I got distracted by the attempted fix breaking things.

As requested...

Library/Extensions all fit into 1 screen shot. System/Library/Extensions required 4 to fit them all in.

For the BIOS photos, all of the "peripherals_{something}" photos are sub-sections of the peripherals sections.
  • Keep a copy of your current Clover as a Backup
  • Use the edited Clover.zip extracted as a replacement and boot and upload Verbose boot screen if problems are seen. I have Not edited config.plist _Boot with Verbose option.

Attachments

• CLOVER-atcodes.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 42
Thanks for the response. I'm afk for a few days for work. I'll be back on Sunday US/Eastern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back