Contribute
Register

Need help with 10.14 / MacPro-ish configuration (total noob!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro Wifi
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Apologies in advance for my ignorance. This is my first Hackintosh, and while I do webdev for work, this is all foreign to me.

I almost feel like there's some information missing from the beginner's guide (ok, so from troubleshooting I know that I need kexts, but where exactly do I put them, and when, and how? It sounds like maybe on the installation thumb drive... or maybe also onto the machine after OSX is installed? Or both? I haven't seen a single clear guide on this yet)... Anyway, here's my hardware:
  • Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi
  • Intel i7 8700K CPU
  • Sapphire 11265-05-20G Radeon Pulse RX 580
  • Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD
  • 64GB of RAM
  • Installing using a Sandisk 16gb USB2 thumb drive
I started with The Basic Mojave Guide, and that got me on my feet, sort of. Some notes that I remember from the install:

While my mobo does have a set of onboard USB2 ports, and I also have some case-mounted USB2 ports, I ended up having to use a USB3.1 (its interior is red) port to boot the install drive -- nothing else works. (It may be worth mentioning that thanks to this case's previous life being shared with kids, one of those case-mounted USB2 ports is quite destroyed and the other wouldn't boot the install drive. Should I unplug them from the mobo?)

I didn't realize it at first, but I seem to be getting a kernel panic near the end of Phase 1 of the install. Through various searches here in the forums, I found advice to turn on verbose mode, which I did in the options found by hitting the spacebar at the clover bootloader, and (based on common sense, haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in here) I also turned on the option to not reboot after a kernel panic in the same options list. Before doing so, phase 1 of the installer would get down to about 2 minutes left and then reboot without warning. At first I thought this was just normal behavior, but after turning on verbose mode and no-reboot-on-panic, I see the following error:

Sorry, but the only monitor I have available for this install is pretty wide and my phone doesn't want to focus on one lone line of white text on a black screen, so the above shows the left side, and the "panic" line that's cut off about mid-height says:

"TLB invalidation IPI timeout, unresponsive CPU bitmap: 0x40, NMIPI acks: 0x0, now: 0x1, deadline: 5806539393909"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Soruces/xnu/xnu-4903.251.3/osfmk/x86_64/pmap.c:2940

Other things that I remember that I've tried:
  • This is basically the same motherboard, so I've been using the bios settings described in this post.
  • Initially I formatted the drive with GUID partition map, but then I saw someone in this thread suggest using APFS instead. I have been trying that instead, but haven't seen any change.
  • Initially I was using a vanilla Unibeast-built image, but that was also not working (I can go back to that and show the panic from that if needed), so many forum searches later, I cobbled together a few kexts that seemed reasonable for my hardware, but I'm not certain that they're right. (And I am only partly confident that I put them in the right place: When I create the installer with Unibeast, I'm left with two volumes mounted, one of which is called "EFI", and I browsed that and put them into Clover/kexts (I think))...
I've tried going through this post and making sure I'm not doing anything obvious wrong, but it's pretty information dense and much of it isn't specific enough for someone who doesn't know exactly what they're looking for (for example: "Check Intel to verify what Intel HD is associated with your CPU" -- what now?).... so I may have missed something. But I tried!

After many failed attempts, I have yet to get a single phase 1 install to complete, and the clover screen on boot initially looks like this:

The label for the middle volume is, "Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot", and the right volume label says, "Boot macOS Install from Mojave" (Mojave is the name I gave to my SSD, as suggested by the guide).

If I try to boot from the right volume (again using spacebar to go to options and set verbose and no-reboot-on-panic), I initially get what I'm guessing is Phase 2 of the installer with a progress bar that says "15 minutes remaining" and then it pretty quickly ends up in a kernel panic similar to the one described above. Only the numbers seem different to me. Here it is (emphasis added to what's different)...

"TLB invalidation IPI timeout, unresponsive CPU bitmap: 0x100, NMIPI acks: 0x0, now: 0x1, deadline: 103889285715"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Soruces/xnu/xnu-4903.251.3/osfmk/x86_64/pmap.c:2940

Help please? I will try to be as responsive as I can, but I have to work away from the Hackintosh all day on Friday and Saturday, so if I don't get any advice tonight I probably won't get another chance until Sunday.

I know that I need kexts, but where exactly do I put them, and when, and how? It sounds like maybe on the installation thumb drive... or maybe also onto the machine after OSX is installed? Or both?
There are some essential kexts that you will place in the EFI/Clover/Kexts/other folder post install. You can also add some pre-install when setting up Unibeast if additional ones are needed. Rehabman's USBInjectall kext would be an example.
The kexts you will install with either Multibeast or Kextbeast go into /Library/Extensions of your system drive during the Post install phase.

The label for the middle volume is, "Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot", and the right volume label says, "Boot macOS Install from Mojave"
You always want to select Boot macOS Install from Mojave when you see that in the Clover Boot menu screen. It will take doing that at least 3 times to complete the install. It will appear to kernel panic but that is normal. Just keep selecting Boot macOS Install from Mojave every time.

Last edited:
You always want to select Boot macOS Install from Mojave when you see that in the Clover Boot menu screen. It will take doing that at least 3 times to complete the install. It will appear to kernel panic but that is normal. Just keep selecting Boot macOS Install from Mojave every time.
Wow! If this is in the main guide, I can't believe I missed it. After 2 reboots both "panic"-ed just seconds after displaying "13 minutes remaining" it seems to finally be making progress. I'm at "9 minutes remaining" now and things are looking up! Thank you so much!

It would be wise for you to read through CaseySJ's Golden build which uses a different Gigabyte board than what you have but much of the info will still be helpful for you to understand the complete process better.

If this is in the main guide, I can't believe I missed it.
It's not in the main Mojave guide. It just started happening with High Sierra and that part has not been included yet. It would probably be helpful to newbies to mention the 3 or more auto reboots that happen. You could post something in Site Suggestions about that.

There's still lots to do -- no network functionality yet, for example -- but I'm no longer stuck! Thanks!

Unfortunately I have to go to bed so that I'm reasonably well rested for work tomorrow... but I'm excited to come back to this on Sunday morning!

Ok, I'm back. Long(ish) story short, I've tried a few things and I'm not noticing any improvements other than now I can boot from the SSD without the help of the thumb drive.

First, I ran MultiBeast following the instructions in Step #5 here. After a reboot, it will now boot from the SSD just fine, but two things that I've checked so far that don't seem to be working are networking and sound.

From MultiBeast, (first attempt -- the same attempt that enabled booting from the SSD without the thumb drive) I selected these options:
MultiBeast Configuration - 2019-05-19 08:04:25
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Quick Start > Clover UEFI Boot Mode
Drivers > Audio > AppleALC
Drivers > Disk > Intel Generic AHCI SATA
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC HWMonitor Application
Drivers > Network > Intel > IntelMausiEthernet v2.4.0
Drivers > USB > 3rd Party USB 3.0
Drivers > USB > Remove XHCI USB Port Limit
Drivers > USB > USBInjectAll
Bootloaders > Clover UEFI Boot Mode
Customize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 6,1

No network or sound. So I ran MultiBeast again. I noticed that none of the things I had selected last time were already checked, so anything that I wasn't attempting to fix (for example FakeSMC) I set exactly as above; only selecting differently to change things:
MultiBeast Configuration - 2019-05-19 01:16:44
Quick Start > Clover UEFI Boot Mode
Drivers > Audio > 100 / 200 / 300 Series Audio Support (HDAS -> HDEF)
Drivers > Disk > Intel Generic AHCI SATA
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC HWMonitor Application
Drivers > Network > Intel > AppleIGB v5.3.5.3
Drivers > USB > 3rd Party USB 3.0
Drivers > USB > Remove XHCI USB Port Limit
Drivers > USB > USBInjectAll
Bootloaders > Clover UEFI Boot Mode
Customize > System Definitions > iMac > iMac 14,2

Again, no network or sound. So I tried again a third time, this time only selecting the one thing I wanted to try:
MultiBeast Configuration - 2019-05-19 02:06:20
Drivers > Network > Intel > AppleIntelE1000e v3.3.6

Still no network (wasn't expecting any change to sound since I didn't make any attempt to change it).

The main mojave install guide has a list of other posts to reference for troubleshooting, which brought me here, and after reading through that page I decided to try my luck with Hackintool. The kexts that I had it install were a set that I had cobbled together from reading a variety of guides here on the forums, so I can't point to one source. I'll attach a zip of them to this post.

I did get the red section of warnings as noted in the guide, but I also got a line at the end of that section that says:
Warning: /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory
...which the guide doesn't mention, so it seemed possibly important to note here.

I feel stuck again. I did see something indicating that it might be important to remove failed attempts at installing the right kexts, but it points to something that points to something that points to the section X. Uninstall AppleHDA Realtek Audio in this guide for audio stuff... But that doesn't make any sense to me. So here are my questions while reading it:
  1. Do I need to do both 1 and 2, or are they alternate approaches to accomplish the same goals?
  2. What's CloverALC? I assume it's different from Clover Bootloader and Clover Configurator. Where do I get it?
  3. Current MultiBeast is v11 and I don't see any way to do "remove" actions in it. Am I missing something?
What should I do now?

Attachments

• kexts.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
Ok, I'm back. Long(ish) story short, I've tried a few things and I'm not noticing any improvements other than now I can boot from the SSD without the help of the thumb drive.

First, I ran MultiBeast following the instructions in Step #5 here. After a reboot, it will now boot from the SSD just fine, but two things that I've checked so far that don't seem to be working are networking and sound.

From MultiBeast, (first attempt -- the same attempt that enabled booting from the SSD without the thumb drive) I selected these options:

No network or sound. So I ran MultiBeast again. I noticed that none of the things I had selected last time were already checked, so anything that I wasn't attempting to fix (for example FakeSMC) I set exactly as above; only selecting differently to change things:

Again, no network or sound. So I tried again a third time, this time only selecting the one thing I wanted to try:

Still no network (wasn't expecting any change to sound since I didn't make any attempt to change it).

The main mojave install guide has a list of other posts to reference for troubleshooting, which brought me here, and after reading through that page I decided to try my luck with Hackintool. The kexts that I had it install were a set that I had cobbled together from reading a variety of guides here on the forums, so I can't point to one source. I'll attach a zip of them to this post.

I did get the red section of warnings as noted in the guide, but I also got a line at the end of that section that says:

...which the guide doesn't mention, so it seemed possibly important to note here.

I feel stuck again. I did see something indicating that it might be important to remove failed attempts at installing the right kexts, but it points to something that points to something that points to the section X. Uninstall AppleHDA Realtek Audio in this guide for audio stuff... But that doesn't make any sense to me. So here are my questions while reading it:
  1. Do I need to do both 1 and 2, or are they alternate approaches to accomplish the same goals?
  2. What's CloverALC? I assume it's different from Clover Bootloader and Clover Configurator. Where do I get it?
  3. Current MultiBeast is v11 and I don't see any way to do "remove" actions in it. Am I missing something?
What should I do now?

• Please Upload the following for those trying to help. Let them not make any wrong guess in trying to help without any clue about your setup.
  1. System Report..._Hardware Screen Captures which is similar to Device Manager of Windows for folks coming from Windows to Hackintosh.
  2. CLOVER folder zipped from the System Disk's Hidden EFI Partition

• How to do Screen Captures in Mac/Hack?
    • Bring the screen of interest to your view by clicking it open
    • Press and Hold down : Windows key(CMD key in Mac) , Shift Key and 4 (NOT F4)
      • This will cause a Cross_Hair Mouse Cursor to popup
    • Let go off the keys and take the Mouse
    • Press the Left Button to drag the Cross-Hair Cursor from the Left Top Corner of viewing screen of Interest to its Bottom Right Corner to enclose a Rectangle
    • Let go off the mouse button to drop the captured screen on to the Desktop
    • Open the image in Preview to Edit and provide a unique Name and JPG or PNG format to upload to the Forum
  • How to get all needed screens from System Report?
    • Find Apple from Top menubar(left end)and click on Apple> AboutThisMac>System Report.. > Hardware
      • All hardware are listed alphabetically
    • Click each and when screen pops up Capture it using previous steps and Edit with easily Understandable names for each screen.
    • Upload to the Forum as JPG/PNG
How to upload CLOVER from the Hidden EFI of System Disk ( or Installer disk )?
  • Just click the link to the page and find bulleted steps: #9

Thank you so much for your thorough explanation, cmn699. I will get right on that.

In the meantime, I've just learned that networking is actually working! My Ethernet-over-power solution had lost connection and I didn't realize it and was too quick to blame drivers. I'll start gathering the information you've requested.

For what it's worth, I have 10+ years of experience on a mac so I am familiar with the system info app and taking screen shots (but anything about setting up a hackintosh is 100% new to me); but that said I really appreciated that you tried to make no assumptions about knowledge I might or might not have. That level of detail makes for bullet-proof guides. :)

I'm attaching a bunch of screen shots. Any sections missing are ~empty, for example ATA, Apple Pay, etc are just not applicable so they're empty and I didn't include them. USB is a long list so I had to split it up into two screen shots. Note that I ended the first one with the "Keyboard Hub" heading in view, and began the second one with that heading.

As for the EFI zip, unfortunately I can't get that to mount. I'm attaching one last screen shot (EFI-wont-mount.png) showing that I've got the finder settings you described configured correctly (to show volumes on the desktop), and I have the /Volumes folder visible, and this is after clicking the "Mount Partition" button on the top line in the bottom section of the "Mount EFI" tool (several times).

I can see that there's an EFI partition during boot, if that helps...

Attachments

• Hardware--Audio.png
    Hardware--Audio.png
    543.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Hardware--USB2.png
    Hardware--USB2.png
    377.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Hardware--USB1.png
    Hardware--USB1.png
    586.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Hardware--Storage.png
    Hardware--Storage.png