Contribute
Register

NEED help - GA-X58A-UD7 Sierra Install Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another small update,
I was able to successfully install Sierra and boot back into the new boot drive! Horray!
After a lot of trial and error I tried formatting the new SSD boot disc as MBR and that worked! I tried running multibeast with all of the setting and drivers I needed but it kept failing. I'm guessing this is because I am formatted as MBR and not GUID.

I was able to get the legacy boot loader installed and it boots from the SSD now without and USB.

Does this shed any light on the subject?

I just found this link for the first time which is helpful, but I don't believe I can do what @ammudler suggested in point #5 because to the best of my knowledge there is no UEFI option on my bios.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...pitan-install-problems.173991/#CategoryNoBoot

I will give this a shot though and report back when I can.
"Remove everything inside EFI/CLOVER/ from the system drive, and replace it with everything inside EFI/CLOVER/ from the USB drive"

This morning I successfully got Sierra booted on a GUID partitioned drive. I did this by replacing everything that was in the EFI partition on the new boot drive with all of the EFI files from the thumb drive(originally supplied by @goingbald in a previous post). After the sierra install, The EFI folder on my new boot disc was missing folders and I'm guessing this is what kept it from loading before.

After running mulitbeast, on first blush, most things seem to be working fine
I will report back once I know for sure that everything is 100% operational.

I am fighting 1 issue for sure.
Graphics:
-My second display is all black
-I can't select the right screen resolution for my main display
-When it boots up it does a flashing type thing which reminds me of entering safe mode

This morning I successfully got Sierra booted on a GUID partitioned drive. I did this by replacing everything that was in the EFI partition on the new boot drive with all of the EFI files from the thumb drive(originally supplied by @goingbald in a previous post). After the sierra install, The EFI folder on my new boot disc was missing folders and I'm guessing this is what kept it from loading before.

After running mulitbeast, on first blush, most things seem to be working fine
I will report back once I know for sure that everything is 100% operational.

I am fighting 1 issue for sure.
Graphics:
-My second display is all black
-I can't select the right screen resolution for my main display
-When it boots up it does a flashing type thing which reminds me of entering safe mode
Download and install Xcode.
Download EFIMounter V3 - https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/efi-mounter-v3.280/
Open a terminal and run diskutil list to determine your OS X drive id
Launch EFIMounter and mount your OS X drive EFI partition
Copy config.plist to desktop
Right click on config.plist on desktop and select open with Xcode
In Xcode find the graphics section and change inject nVidia = no to yes. Save.
Replace config.plist in EFI/Clover with the one on the desktop
Reboot

Going Bald thanks for the feedback!
I tried that this morning based on your suggestion but I was still having issues. But you put me on the right track!

I continued to mess around with the config.plist file using a program called playlist edit pro, and I think my issues were being caused by nv_disable=1 under the boot section not sure where I picked that up at.

I uploaded a video of the computer booting up so anyone who might stumble upon this forum chain in the future who needs help can see exactly what I was talking about. That video is here.

RECAP: What I ended up with is this:
config.plist
I Removed: Boot/Arguments/nv_disable=1 and Boot 2/Arguments/nv_disable=1
I Added: Graphics/Inject_NVidia=yes
then I used going bald's DSDT from here
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/sierra-pb3-and-ga-x58a-ud7.199355/

Things that are confirmed to work so far:
I was able to run a system update through the App Store as well as download previous purchases
Bluetooth dongle
sound front and back
USB 3.0 PCI adapter + attached front of case 3.0 ports
WIFI PCI card
iMessages and FaceTime allow me to log In but I really use those so I can't confirm that they are 100%
Siri appears to be working fine
Sleep for a short period of time ( i will chime back in if long term sleep is NOT working)
DVD drive
Raid arrays
boot drive on sata 6.0 port

So I think things are working pretty good!
Thanks for the help!

You really should extract your own DSDT from your hardware and edit it.

Thanks Going Bald I will have to give that a shot.

Thanks Going Bald I will have to give that a shot.
d00d's excellent guide to native power management on the EX58 and X58A boards over on insanelymac site is the guide I went by to do the edits on my DSDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back