Intel i7 3.0ghz
Graphics
Geforce GTS 250
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Long time reader first time poster:

I am pretty much a novice at this, although I have had been running a hackintosh since 2010 (sno leo lifehacker build).

I have upgraded and built new systems a variety of times but for the most part have always been able to find the answers to my questions by searching the net (especially the forums here!) and a long process of trial and error.

Currently my system is running Yosemite with very little glitches (and has been for almost 2 years) . Now I am trying to come up to Sierra with a fresh install and am having some troubles.

Here is all the info on my system: (also in the signature to the left of post)

i7 3.0ghz ( I cant remember the model# I will find it if it is needed)
Gygabyte ga-x58a-ud7
owc 120gb ssd
EVGA geforce gts250
kinston 16gb usb2 drive in a usb 2 port

Created a USB drive
formatted GUID - OSX Ext Journaled
Used UniBeast in legacy mode- injected nvida

Bios is the same as my working Yosemite build

change boot order in bios
USB boots to Clover boot menu and looks like this:
_kwp7089-jpg.227642

• I choose the one on the right which say "boot osx" (or something similar) then It takes me to the installer
  • I used Disk Util to format the 120gb SSD I have for a new boot drive
  • then i go back to the installer and it seems to go along fine (it says it is going to take around 12 minutes)
  • After it runs through that part of the install it automatically restarts but when the computer boots up and goes to the clover boot menu (as shown above) I have no way to select the newly install Sierra SSD.

I tried to just run the installer again, but it seems like it is doing the exact same process, only this time it says its going to take 33 minutes. After running the installer a second time It just takes me back to the same clover boot menu again.

Here is what I have already tried.
  • Adding boot flags like GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1 and 0 -x and -v
  • reformatting the USB and starting over with unibeast
  • reformatting the SSD
  • plugging in the SSD via external drive dock
  • SSD in different sata ports
  • removing all extra unneeded components (ram/wifi card, harddrives, etc)

I'm really stumped by this one and appreciate any help that can be provided by other members.
Happy New Year Everyone!

Attachments

• _KWP7089.jpg
    _KWP7089.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,032
Check your config.plist of your USB drive. Make sure Scan Legacy is set to true. As an owner of a Rev.1 GA-X58A-UD7 I can assure you that it is possible to install Sierra and have it working well.

Are you using Chimera or Clover as your boot loader with Yosemite?

@wolff is the SSD with Sierra on it attached to sata0 or to sata1 ? If not sata0 switch the cable to that.

Hi Going Bald, Thank you for responding to me and assuring me that it is possible to get this computer upgraded. That is a great help!

Just like this time for Yosemite I used unibeast to make my USB, so I believe the would be a clover boot loader.

I'm going to give it another shot this afternoon and will report back with any/all new information.

thanks for the responce trs96! I believe I had it in sata0 figuring that the sata0 port would be the default priority port for the MB but I will double check that this afternoon when I attempt to install again.

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to reinstall tonight. I remade the USB stick making 100% sure to follow every instruction to the letter.
I put the new hard drive on the sata0 port (just in case). Then I checked the config.plist on the USB stick. And although I can't fully read this code, it looks like Scan Legacy is set to true to me. (see screen shot)

config screenshot.png

I ran through the installer and the same thing happened!

I tried it a bunch of times, changing various bios settings, I also tried a regular HD.

It's so weird, I have never had this much trouble installing before. Any ideas?

thank you in advanced for any guidance/advice you may have

I installed on my -UD7 with a UniBeast created USB. You might try replacing the EFI folder on yours with the attached.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3 MB · Views: 229
thanks going bald, I will give it a shot!

Hey guys / @Going Bald,

It has been a while but I wanted to put out an update regardless.

I tried to use the EFI files provided by @Going Bald but that didn't work either. I still have the same issue. For some reason after running through the installer after the computer automatically restarts, when the clover boot screen comes back up I can not select the newly created OSX hard drive.

The hard drive shows up in the bios just fine + I have tried other drives and cables external vs internal. So I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware issue.

Ideas:
Is it possible I need to update my bios?
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3251#bios
Maybe there is some conflict in my bios setting that could cause this?
(My current bios settings load my Yosemite boot drive just fine.)

Any input from anyone is appreciated. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back