Contribute
Register

Need help - Fixing Thumbnail Preview on Mojave for others files than jpeg ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z270-GAMING K7
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, when you follow the [ROUGH GUIDE] Fix for Finder Preview not working on Mojave 10.14.1+, this is pretty well done by Averett to fix the jpeg issue. But what about all the other kinds of files to previews, such as basic ones for graphics design work : .psd, .ai, .pdf, .png, etc.. As ben2z, told me there an app to see graphic design files call Artview, which didn't solve that issue for theses preview on mojave.

What I mean when having no previews, is that quicklook from the OS is not able to populate thumbnail previews for all files except jpeg fixed by the NoVAPjpeg.kext, sometime it does a fews and it's random. I've updated 2 hack from high sierra to mojave and both have this problem. I'm able to see each file by doing spacebar but that doesn't create any thumbnail preview once I close it by click again spacebar. It's impossible to work like that to hit spacebar, since I have image folder with over 500 images (psd) that I need to do a selection, this is totally counter productive. On both I have GPU supported by mojave (GT740 and RX 580 AMD).

I've also tried to clear cache for quicklook, which didn't change a thing. I got private frameworks/core error.** see below
I've also tried to change my smbios to imac pro 1,1 which was suppose to fix this in 99% of the time but I wasn't able to boot, I'm on imac 18,3.

The CPU is i7-6700k skylake.
Board is Z170x-UD5
GPU Geforce Gt740

***ERROR= Mark:~ mark$ sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning: x86_64h skipping because of bad install name /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FaceCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/fcl-fc-1.dat
update_dyld_shared_cache: x86_64h incorporating 1387 OS dylibs, tracking 1001 others, building closures for 2132 executables

Check out the following guide and scroll to the part 'headless platform-ids'

Thanks for that reply! I'll try that as soon as possible!

I'm almost at the point of saying that is impossible to make a mojave hackintosh for pro retouching photography since we cannot have any previews at all of the files we need to work with....:banghead: I hope this solve the issue!

Check out the following guide and scroll to the part 'headless platform-ids'
I've check out the guide, thanks Big-w! and I've been able to fix the onboard iGPU!! which is pretty good

but I still a long way to go to get the preview of my files, again anything other than jpeg, so no thumb preview, so no idea for : .psd, .ai. eps, .png, .svg, etc..:banghead:

What should I need to fix now ?

I've check out the guide, thanks Big-w!
Have you enabled your iGPU and GPU in BIOS?
From what I gather, certain iMacs use both dGPU and iGPU as part of it's power saving properties and render thumbs and previews with the iGPU, saving the more power hungry GPU. Using the NoVPAJpeg kext should force the system to use the GPU for everything. You can use hackintool to check if you have VDA decoding.

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 09.41.37.png

Indeed I use IGPU in the bios and NoVPAjpeg.kext too. Now in hackintosh tool I got full support of VDA decoder. This haven't change anything still NO PREVIEWS at all from quicklook / finder thumbnails. So I'm simply unable to work. We should let know graphic designer and photographer that Hackintosh with Mojave is not a good idea... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• setting from hackintosh tool.png
    setting from hackintosh tool.png
    88.9 KB · Views: 130
I've also tried that, see errors I got below...

from https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/338215/mojave-quicklook-stuck-at-loading
To get thumbnails to work:
  1. Run the Terminal command Dishoperator suggested: sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force
    • It doesn't do any harm, it just updates the kernel caches
    • Open Terminal
    • Paste sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force
    • Type in your password (it will not appear as you're typing)
    • Press Return
    • It will take ~30s to a couple minutes depending on your machine
  2. Open up Activity Monitor (⌘+Spacebar, type in Activity Monitor)
  3. Order by Process Name
  4. Force quit quicklookd
    • Click on quicklookd
    • Press the X stop-like button in the top left
    • Press Force quit
  5. Force quit all instances of QuickLookSatellite
  6. Keep force-quitting until none of them are left
    • Make sure you order processes by name to see them all at once
  7. Restart Finder (see point 2. Restart Finder: again if you forgot how)

ERRORS:

~ ****$ sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning: x86_64h skipping because of bad install name /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FaceCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/fcl-fc-1.dat
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning: x86_64h skipping because of bad install name /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FaceCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/fcl-fc-2.dat
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning: x86_64h skipping because of bad install name /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FaceCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/fcl-fc-3.dat
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning: i386 skipping because of bad install name /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FaceCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/fcl-fc-1.dat
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning: i386 skipping because of bad install name /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FaceCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/fcl-fc-2.dat
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning: i386 skipping because of bad install name /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FaceCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/fcl-fc-3.dat
update_dyld_shared_cache: i386 incorporating 629 OS dylibs, tracking 456 others, building closures for 245 executables
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning: x86_64h rejected from cached dylibs: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CreateML.framework/Versions/A/CreateML (("Could not find dependency '/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/TuriCore.framework/Versions/A/TuriCore'"))
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning: x86_64h rejected from cached dylibs: /usr/lib/swift/libswiftCreateML.dylib (("Could not find dependency '/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/TuriCore.framework/Versions/A/TuriCore'"))
update_dyld_shared_cache: x86_64h incorporating 1387 OS dylibs, tracking 1001 others, building closures for 2132 executables

Have you tried without NoVpaJpeg with iGPU enabled?
Don't you think it would be possible to have all other files options added to the NoVPAjpeg so it will enable thumbnail for all other files I can't see ?! I've tried to reach the guy who did this kext, it's been 2 weeks now, and still now reply from him...

Let me know if you think we have a shot change this kext with other files types ?

Last edited:
I removed/restart the NoVPAjpeg.kext it didn't changed anything, same thing with iGPU enabled.:rolleyes:

Big-W, do you have an idea why this is happening ?

I think I should report this problem, so other hackintosh users won't use Mojave, if they plan to do graphic design and photography with it, that's simply impossible. I think that's important, I've wasted 3 weeks to fix this and I'm still stuck. The sad thing about that, is that I have 2 identical hack (same parts) with mojave that has that SAME issue with thumbnails previews!! :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back