Contribute
Register

Need a GPU for and old build. Looking to get hightest OS on it as possible.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K 4GHz
Graphics
EVGA GTX 750 Ti
Hi everyone,

Looking to get a new GPU to get an old build back to life after my last GPU died. I'd like to rebuild with High Sierra or even Catalina if possible.

It's a -

Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H

CPU Intel Core i7 4790K 4GHz

The GPU that died was a EVGA GTX 750 Ti, but I'm finding it hard to get a second hand one so any tips on other GPUs would really help me find an alternative.

Hi everyone,

Looking to get a new GPU to get an old build back to life after my last GPU died. I'd like to rebuild with High Sierra or even Catalina if possible.

It's a -

Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3HCPUIntel

Core i7 4790K 4GHz

The GPU that died was a EVGA GTX 750 Ti, but I'm finding it hard to get a second hand one so any tips on other GPUs would really help me find an alternative.

I'd like to rebuild with High Sierra or even Catalina if possible.
You'll need to avoid any of the 6000 series Navi 21/23 GPUs from AMD. Support is not there for HS or Catalina.
If you do want to try Monterey instead, then any of the RX 6000 series on the supported list will work.

Try an AMD Polaris card like the RX570 or RX580. A Vega 56/64 card will also work with HS or Catalina.

Last edited:
Looking to get a new GPU to get an old build back to life after my last GPU died.
You may not know it, but the built in HD4600 iGPU will work up through Monterey. Just use the Mac mini 7,1 SMBIOS which supports HD4600 graphics.

You'll need to avoid any of the 6000 series Navi 21/23 GPUs from AMD. Support is not there for HS or Catalina.
If you do want to try Monterey instead, then any of the RX 6000 series on the supported list will work.

Try an AMD Polaris card like the RX570 or RX580. A Vega 56/64 card will also work with HS or Catalina.
Great thanks for the recommendations.

One other thing I didn’t think about was my motherboard, would it be compatible for a Catalina build with the GUPs you were talking about?

would it be compatible for a Catalina build with the GUPs you were talking about?
Yes, of course. You could even install Ventura if you want to get that up to date.

Have a look at this guide for running macOS Monterey on a similar Haswell build.

Do you have any special need for High Sierra or Catalina? They are both unsupported.

Do you have any special need for High Sierra or Catalina? They are both unsupported.
I'm building a back up work computer, and my current Mac Pro is running Catalina so it would be good to have an identical build. But i guess if it a matter of ease I can install a new OS, as it seems easier to get hold of a new AMD GPU.

Back