Contribute
Register

NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 won't work in Mountain Lion *FIX INSIDE*

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should be getting about 120MB/s read/write for a 7200RPM hard disk drive, and even higher for SSDs. 30MB/s is what you would expect for USB 2.0, although many USB 3.0 flash drives are also that slow.

You should be getting about 120MB/s read/write for a 7200RPM hard disk drive, and even higher for SSDs. 30MB/s is what you would expect for USB 2.0, although many USB 3.0 flash drives are also that slow.

Thanks for your feedback.

I went into Windows 7 using a different benchmark program since I could not find one the works in both systems and came up with the following results:
........................................OSX 10.8.2............Win 7
SD Card reader USB3.0..............41 / 30..........44 / 37
USB Hard Disk USB3.0...............72 / 31..........84 / 83
Hard Disk - SATA3.................115 / 115.......134 / 132

The order above is Read / Write ... if I used USB2.0 on the first two above the results were considerably less.

It appears that the USB 3.0 driver I'm using is close but not there and the Hard Disk is also not as close when compared with Windows 7.

Thanks nfsgamer!! This worked for me. I got the error at the end of the install. I rebooted and my External Seagate USB 3 showed up. I can copy from, but its a PC drive. So I'm going to do more testing. I'll add to this as I see how well it works. So far, just seeing the drive show up is great.

ASUS Sabertooth P67 B3
Last 2XXX BIOS (forgot the number I'll fix this later)
Core i7 2600k not OC'd
Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Thanks for the files hackmytosh12. Once I ditched the cache on boot this appears to give a stable driver. I only peak at about 80, but that could easily be the el-cheapo Patriot drive enclosure combined with the drive itself. I may stick my OCZ SSD in there since it's worthless under Mountain Lion with my current MoBo and such. Maybe the Patriot enclosure as an abstraction layer will at least allow me to use the drive. Just using Multibeast to roll the driver back allowed me to mount my drive but it died under heavy prolonged IO. Holding my breath this setup won't do that.

I'm new in Hackintosh business, but I can not get the right current in USB 3 ports, my Ipad 2 does not get the right current to charge !

How to fix it?

My solution for 10.8.2 incl. USB Audio fix

Just install these 4 kexts with kextutility, reboot & enjoy

Here is an interesting issue. I have used your files, they work great, but I have to hot plug the drives to get them to show. After installing, I turn on my external drive and it comes up. I restart the computer to test to make sure everything works, turn the drive on, and nothing shows. I unplug then plug it back in and voila, it shows on the desktop. I have cleared cache for kexts and rebuilt as well, and this does not resolve the issue for some reason.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but what would happen if I did this to a macbook pro?

More specifically I bought a USB 3.0 ExpressCard 34, and I was finding it hard to get USB 3 drivers to work. I found this thread, followed the steps without reading the context, rolled back with Multibeast 4.6.1. Now I'm kinda screwed. :banghead:

Would rolling the drivers back completely **** my system? I think I heard a sparking sound and may have smelt some smoke... (could have just been paranoia) Turned it off right away but now I need to somehow get the old kext files installed (I backed them up). Scared to turn it back on again with the same boot drive. :confused:

What does rolling back the drivers actually do? Does it just change IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext? Is it as simple as dragging these files back to library/Extensions? Could it have caused a voltage spike in my MBP? Or could it have changed the voltage of the logic board?

I have install a pci card usb 3 to my hackintosh too. After installing the 2 kexts usb roll back and nec I lost the qe/ci of my graphics. Only when I boot with -f they work. Also I think that since I have installed those 2 kexts my wireless usb mouse wont work well. I have change batteries but nothing. In windows 7 it works just fine.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Wow. I have a Lenovo Y480 and these kexts fixed my usb3 troubles. Thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back