Contribute
Register

Nec-Renesas D720200 chip issue on ga-z68x-ud5-b3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed the usb3 drivers on my cloned drive. No longer any problems booting etc...
and it shows usb super speed but still at 480mbs speeds..

I bought a transcend usb3 flash drive to test but interestingly it is not recognised in the usb3 ports full stop? It makes no difference weather the usb3 kext is installed or not. the flash drive will only work in the usb2 drives on osx?

must check it in windows!!

i presume the flash drive is trying to work as a usb3 device but my motherbord with the vli hubs just wont play ball?

:thumbdown:

what do you think?

So now the i-tec USB3.0 card reader arrived.
But some side notes first:

As mentioned, both USB2.0 (Highspeed-Bus) and USB3.0 (Superspeed-Bus) show a maximum speed of 480Mbit/s in system profiler which is the theoretical maximum for USB2.0.
Second, I only have a compact flash card available with a transfer rate of 60MB/s which equals 480Mbit/s so the maximum observable speed during this test would be as fast as optimized USB2.0 anyway (SanDisk Extreme).
Third I observed that only a few USB connectors would recognize the USB3.0 card reader:
Only all the USB2.0/1.1 ports (showing the card reader connected to the Highspeed-Bus) and the two USB3.0/2.0 ports directly besides the audio connectors on the rear panel (showing the card reader connected to the Superspeed-Bus).
On all other connectors with (combined) USB3.0 connectivity the reader is not recognized.
These two ports seem to be those on the wiring diagram of the board which are not connected via the VLI hubs but directly to the Renesas D720200 chip (see attachment).
This expectation was confirmed by Gigabyte´s technical support.
<Update: System setup is with dsdt from database plus USB kext (PXHCD) from MultiBeast4.1 - with the original kext from 10.7.2 the device would not be displayed in the sidebar or disk utility, but as "storage device" in system info-USB only.>

I copied 7.76GB of data between the CF and a WD Caviar Black SATA III disk which made me expect a transfer time somewhere slightly beyond two minutes assuming the full transfer rate of the CF card.

7.76GB / Highspeed / Superspeed

CF->HD / 4:44 / 1:39
HD->CF / 4:36 / 1:58

Impressing! I can´t say whether I would achieve higher transfer rates with a faster card but at least is it obvious that the maximum performance of the card has been achieved.

Attachments

• VLI Hub.jpg
    VLI Hub.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 573
Say Heading said:
So now the i-tec USB3.0 card reader arrived.
But some side notes first:

As mentioned, both USB2.0 (Highspeed-Bus) and USB3.0 (Superspeed-Bus) show a maximum speed of 480Mbit/s in system profiler which is the theoretical maximum for USB2.0.
Second, I only have a compact flash card available with a transfer rate of 60MB/s which equals 480Mbit/s so the maximum observable speed during this test would be as fast as optimized USB2.0 anyway (SanDisk Extreme).
Third I observed that only a few USB connectors would recognize the USB3.0 card reader:
Only all the USB2.0/1.1 ports (showing the card reader connected to the Highspeed-Bus) and the two USB3.0/2.0 ports directly besides the audio connectors on the rear panel (showing the card reader connected to the Superspeed-Bus).
On all other connectors with (combined) USB3.0 connectivity the reader is not recognized.
These two ports seem to be those on the wiring diagram of the board which are not connected via the VLI hubs but directly to the Renesas D720200 chip (see attachment).
This expectation was confirmed by Gigabyte´s technical support.

I copied 7.76GB of data between the CF and a WD Caviar Black SATA III disk which made me expect a transfer time somewhere slightly beyond two minutes assuming the full transfer rate of the CF card.

7.76GB / Highspeed / Superspeed

CF->HD / 4:44 / 1:39
HD->CF / 4:36 / 1:58

Impressing! I can´t say whether I would achieve higher transfer rates with a faster card but at least is it obvious that the maximum performance of the card has been achieved.

This is with the "native" DSDT for the board - or the new SXHD next that came with 4.01 Multi?

Rick

SickRick said:
This is with the "native" DSDT for the board - or the new SXHD next that came with 4.01 Multi?

Rick

Sorry, forgot to mention (will update the post).
It is with the database dsdt plus PXHCD.kext installed via MB4.1.
<Edit> Without the kext update the CF card (reader) (connected to those two mentioned connectors) would power up (blue PWR light) but not show up in the sidebar or in disk utility.</Edit>

Say Heading said:
two USB3.0/2.0 ports directly besides the audio connectors on the rear panel (showing the card reader connected to the Superspeed-Bus).
Thanks for your research. On UD5-B3 - all USB 3.0 ports appear to be connected to the VLI hub.

My P55M-UD4 has an NEC USB3 PCIe card added and PXHCD 1.08 actually works fine on this machine with no sleep/wake issues.

both my P55-USB3 and P55A-UD3 have serious problems with both PXHCD 1.08 and 1.07.

First sleep/wake works fine but after that, both second sleep and shutdown fail and the system goes into a state which only a hard shutdown will get it out of.
This happens even if a USB3 drive hasn't been plugged in. :crazy:

I've rolled back to PXHCD 1.01 on both these machines because the only problem is after a USB3 drive has been plugged in.
Sleep will fail and it will just go into display sleep but one tap of either the keyboard or mouse will wake it.
Everything is normal again after a re-boot until a USB3 drive is again plugged in.

There ya go....

plexi said:
My P55M-UD4 has an NEC USB3 PCIe card added and PXHCD 1.08 actually works fine on this machine with no sleep/wake issues.

both my P55-USB3 and P55A-UD3 have serious problems with both PXHCD 1.08 and 1.07.

First sleep/wake works fine but after that, both second sleep and shutdown fail and the system goes into a state which only a hard shutdown will get it out of.
This happens even if a USB3 drive hasn't been plugged in. :crazy:

I've rolled back to PXHCD 1.01 on both these machines because the only problem is after a USB3 drive has been plugged in.
Sleep will fail and it will just go into display sleep but one tap of either the keyboard or mouse will wake it.
Everything is normal again after a re-boot until a USB3 drive is again plugged in.

There ya go....

+1, i've got the same troubles ... after the first sleep :(

Have you try the Lacie Drivers ?

These are the LACIE drivers.

oup's ! The newbie as talk :)
You meen that the drivers in MultiBEast are the Lacie drivers ??? I think there been modified ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back