Contribute
Register

My new Haswell Build is giving me quite a bit of trouble (reboot loop). Any help please??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock z270
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
rx 5700 xt
Ok here are the basic specs of my new build. I am pretty much a noob and I have read around but I have no idea how or what they are talking about. I am trying to re-install mavericks on my rig after upgrading from my previous sandy bridge setup.

New system:
Asrock B85m Pro 4
i5 4690
Gigabyte r9 280x

I am having the issue where the white apple screen flashes for a second and imminently restarts.
Some people say patch the bios but that scares the crap out of me on my brand new board
Some people say patch the kernel and I am lost after that

Is there a step by step write up somewhere? I am lost and don't really want to invest all the time into getting Ubuntu the way I like it again.

Thanks in advance

Ok here are the basic specs of my new build. I am pretty much a noob and I have read around but I have no idea how or what they are talking about. I am trying to re-install mavericks on my rig after upgrading from my previous sandy bridge setup.

New system:
Asrock B85m Pro 4
i5 4690
Gigabyte r9 280x

I am having the issue where the white apple screen flashes for a second and imminently restarts.
Some people say patch the bios but that scares the crap out of me on my brand new board
Some people say patch the kernel and I am lost after that

Is there a step by step write up somewhere? I am lost and don't really want to invest all the time into getting Ubuntu the way I like it again.

Thanks in advance

If you don't patch the BIOS, you need to patch the kernel: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-locked-msrs-hp-envy-15-j063cl-i7-4700mq.html

I have re-read your post again for the 3rd time but i am just as lost as the first. from what I grasp patching just the kernel will break a few things.
Does patching the bios have the same results as I am used to seeing with say the asrock h67/77 boards?
It just worked, no fuss.

I have re-read your post again for the 3rd time but i am just as lost as the first. from what I grasp patching just the kernel will break a few things.

Patching the kernel will break nothing. To the contrary... it fixes the issue you're having.

Does patching the bios have the same results as I am used to seeing with say the asrock h67/77 boards?
It just worked, no fuss.

Your choice. Patch the BIOS or patch the kernel. The results are the same.

Patching the kernel will break nothing. To the contrary... it fixes the issue you're having.

Your choice. Patch the BIOS or patch the kernel. The results are the same.

OK I have committed to patching the kernel which patches should I be applying?
There are quite a few on your github link, I rereading through them now, but would like to avoid any pitfalls.
Thanks for your help!

OK I have committed to patching the kernel which patches should I be applying?
There are quite a few on your github link, I rereading through them now, but would like to avoid any pitfalls.
Thanks for your help!

No patches for the kernel on github... See link in post #2. The kernel patches are the perl commands. Read the section titled "How to patch your kernel."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back