Contribute
Register

My iMac - Dell Optiplex All-in-One 9010, Need your expert help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Well good news. I was able to get video working but honestly having performed as many steps as I did I'm not entirely sure how I made it work :(

Just as a further background, the Dell Optiplex All-in-one is a UEFI based system and while I tried diligently to get the Clover bootloader to work with the UEFI bios, I ended up reverting back to the legacy bios.

Once reverting back to the legacy bios, I was able to boot into the build using my Unibeast Mac Mountain Lion usb stick with the -x flag. From there I installed multibeast and chose the standard settings (EasyBeast Installation). After this I rebooted and encountered the Boot0 error whereby I reloaded the Mac Installer and performed the steps listed here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html

After successfully fixing that I simply rebooted and voila, the system booted and I now have full HD 1920x1080 video. Honestly I have to say it looks BEAUTIFUL!

So probably Chimera's GraphicsEnabler=Yes is working for you (it does injection of ig-platform-id that is compatible with many, not all, desktop systems, and not very many laptops).

Remaining issues I have now are as follows:

1. After the install of Multibeast, I now have no working ethernet. The device shows up in the Network section of settings but for some reason it cannot get an IP Address. Interestingly as well I also have another adapter in there which says: PCI Serial Adapter(22), any thoughts?

You need to figure out what Ethernet chip is in your computer then install drivers for it if available. I see "Intel WiFi" mentioned in your post #1, but no mention of ethernet. Your WiFi will not work, as I mentioned earlier... you will need to replace it if you plan to use it.

2. Audio is still not working, I do believe I have a realtek alc269, I'm assuming I need some file to patch so this works?

Usually patched AppleHDA.kext + DSDT patches to go along with it.

Just checked, the Network Adapter is a Integrated Intel® 82579LM Ethernet LAN 10/100/1000

I'm reinstalling now, will specify that driver with the Multibeast install and see how it goes.

Thanks! Ed.

Just checked, the Network Adapter is a Integrated Intel® 82579LM Ethernet LAN 10/100/1000

I'm reinstalling now, will specify that driver with the Multibeast install and see how it goes.

Thanks! Ed.

You could have just run Multibeast to install hnak's Intel e1000e driver, but if you want to re-install...

Well big huge fail. Here's what's weird though. When I finish my install, before running multibeast, the network adapter is identified correctly and works! After the multibeast it can no longer get an IP address but is still correctly identified by the system. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Ed.

More oddness. If I then boot in with a -x, the network card is now working... Perhaps I messed something up with video by re-running multibeast with only the single driver selected...?

More oddness. If I then boot in with a -x, the network card is now working... Perhaps I messed something up with video by re-running multibeast with only the single driver selected...?

Are you booting from your HDD?

Yep, I'm booting with the MultiBeast bootloader from the HDD but having to use the -x to get in as in regular mode the video is flickering...

Thanks! Ed.

Yep, I'm booting with the MultiBeast bootloader from the HDD but having to use the -x to get in as in regular mode the video is flickering...

Thanks! Ed.

Installing a single driver cannot "mess up" anything unless that drive is wrong for the system. But, if your system was "messed up" before installing that driver, but you didn't know it at the time, installing a new driver can cause the previously hidden problem to show up.

This is why:
- system is "messed up" but kernel cache has not been updated to reflect... that is, you have drivers installed which are not right or otherwise broken in /S/L/E but haven't rebuilt the kernel cache, so each boot is loading something different than would be if you did build kernel cache (the cache is not up-to-date with what is in /S/L/E). You don't notice the problem until...
- you install a new driver with a program like Multibeast, and as a side effect, kernel cache is rebuilt against the 'broken' /S/L/E.
- you reboot now using the now up-to-date kernel cache and you discover a problem...

Hi RehabMan,

I'm assuming then I need to fresh install, do the MultiBeast then debug from there to see if I can't figure out the root cause. Any pointers you can give on that? Should I dump any specific information and put that up here? Any pointers are helpful!

Thanks! Ed.

Well I'm at the frustration stage. I've reinstalled yet again. This time I run MultiBeast and choose to install the Network Driver at the same time. Reboot the machine and then everything is pretty much working. I have Full HD video, My networking is fine, My CD/DVD drive is working - which incidentally I discovered last time it wasn't working. Also video is playing smoothly and it shows that I have 768MB of video RAM with my HD4000 integrated graphics. Then I reboot, not for any other reason that to reboot and see if there's anything weird going to happen after. Result....same as before, I get the flickering graphics...

No idea WHY after the MultiBeast install I reboot and everything works, then on the 2nd reboot I get the flickering graphics.....

Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back