Contribute
Register

Music Noobs First GA-Z77X-UP5-TH - Help buying parts for quiet (cheaper?) beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is true you are looking for a pure PCI slot over express I have seen adaptors that convert a x1 pcie to a PCI slot. Just FYI. Also if you plan on using Thunderbolt just be sure you know you will start to loose sata ports and PCI slots as you daisy chain more and more thunderbolt products. The reason for that is that Thunderbolt is essentially PCIe that runs over a cable.

Thanks for this info. I did not know this. I did some digging and found this (see below). Is this true? If so, I think I'm ok. I just want to run one thunderbolt audio interface and MAYBE one other thunderbolt device (but not a display).

From Storks build...(same mobo).
"The two Thunderbolt connector ports on the real panel have constraints as noted in the Gigabyte User Manual:
  • 2 Thunderbolt ports (MDP1/MDP2) support for Mini-DisplayPort and Thunderbolt monitor(s), and supporting a maximum resolution of 2560x1600;
  • When a monitor connected to the DVI-D port, the MDP2 (left port on rear panel) Thunderbolt port can support Thunderbolt storage device(s) only;
  • Each Thunderbolt port can be daisy chain around 3 Thunderbolt devices; <-- Default design limitation (see below)
  • 2 DisplayPort monitors daisy chain in the same port must separate by one Thunderbolt device.
  • Due to PC architecture I/O resources limitation, the amount of the Thunderbolt devices can be used is dependent on the quantity of PCI Express and PCI devices be installed. If a PCI Express graphics card is installed, it is recommended that the BIOS Reserved IO for Thunderbolt parameter set to 40K or less.
Note. By default, the 2 Thunderbolt ports enable only connecting up to 3 devices on each Thunderbolt port. If you really want to daisy-chain 6 devices off each port, you have to enable extra bandwidth in the BIOS. A consequence of enabling more bandwidth to the Thunderbolt ports is disabling the SATA-8 port and the eSATA at the back panel. However, this shouldn't be a problem for most of us. (See the Manual page 59 for the technical gobbly gook.) "

See this post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...570k-ga-z77x-up5-th-hd4000-mountain-lion.html

Thanks for this info. I did not know this. I did some digging and found this (see below). Is this true? If so, I think I'm ok. I just want to run one thunderbolt audio interface and MAYBE one other thunderbolt device (but not a display).

From Storks build...(same mobo).
"The two Thunderbolt connector ports on the real panel have constraints as noted in the Gigabyte User Manual:
  • 2 Thunderbolt ports (MDP1/MDP2) support for Mini-DisplayPort and Thunderbolt monitor(s), and supporting a maximum resolution of 2560x1600;
  • When a monitor connected to the DVI-D port, the MDP2 (left port on rear panel) Thunderbolt port can support Thunderbolt storage device(s) only;
  • Each Thunderbolt port can be daisy chain around 3 Thunderbolt devices; <-- Default design limitation (see below)
  • 2 DisplayPort monitors daisy chain in the same port must separate by one Thunderbolt device.
  • Due to PC architecture I/O resources limitation, the amount of the Thunderbolt devices can be used is dependent on the quantity of PCI Express and PCI devices be installed. If a PCI Express graphics card is installed, it is recommended that the BIOS Reserved IO for Thunderbolt parameter set to 40K or less.
Note. By default, the 2 Thunderbolt ports enable only connecting up to 3 devices on each Thunderbolt port. If you really want to daisy-chain 6 devices off each port, you have to enable extra bandwidth in the BIOS. A consequence of enabling more bandwidth to the Thunderbolt ports is disabling the SATA-8 port and the eSATA at the back panel. However, this shouldn't be a problem for most of us. (See the Manual page 59 for the technical gobbly gook.) "

See this post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...570k-ga-z77x-up5-th-hd4000-mountain-lion.html

Here's a link to the motherboard manual. It helped me quite a when I was planning my system. The information about Thunderbolt ports is on page 22, but it's essentially the same info as above. As a side note, I was able to get one monitor connected via a Thunderbolt port and one via the DVI-D port. In fact, that's the only way I got two monitors to work. I don't have any Thunderbolt devices to give you feedback about using the ports for data.

From your description above though, it's sounds like you'll be fine. Your hardware list looks like it's mostly from the Customac guide, so I think you've made smart choices.

I just want to run one thunderbolt audio interface and MAYBE one other thunderbolt device (but not a display).

I'm interested as to what Thunderbolt audio interface you plan on using as they are pretty thin on the ground right now. As far as I'm aware all that's available at the moment is the Universal Audio Apollo (With Thunderbolt Option Card), Avid HD Native Thunderbolt and The Apogee Symphony 64 Thunderbridge.

Using Thunderbolt of audio I/O is only really needed if you require a massive number of I/O (i.e. upwards of 32ch simultaneous I/O). The Universal Audio Apollo makes good use of Thunderbolt as it contains DSP heavyweight processing. In most cases firewire or USB are more than up to the job as long as the interface if from a reputable manufacture (for USB I would always recommend RME).

Even when it comes to PCIe audio interfaces I can really only think of one that fully exploits the bandwidth of a 1xPCIe slot,

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdspe_madi_fx.php

Which can manage a ridiculous 390 channels!

Here's a link to the motherboard manual. It helped me quite a when I was planning my system. The information about Thunderbolt ports is on page 22, but it's essentially the same info as above. As a side note, I was able to get one monitor connected via a Thunderbolt port and one via the DVI-D port. In fact, that's the only way I got two monitors to work. I don't have any Thunderbolt devices to give you feedback about using the ports for data.

From your description above though, it's sounds like you'll be fine. Your hardware list looks like it's mostly from the Customac guide, so I think you've made smart choices.

Hello. Thanks! I read most of the manual last night. Not bad reading at all. I am a noob, as you can see in the title of this post, but I am familiar with a couple of simple things... So - not bad at all! I'll have to read up on Sata, just so I can understand the 6G, 3G differences in the ports... and what all those other ports can be used for. I'll research that later today.

I'm not a picky guy when it comes to the number of monitors. I would love to have two, but one won't kill me. :) Good to know though!

Hi!

I'm new at the forum. Actually I'm new at all this "Hackintosh world". I have a MacBook Pro, been using Mac for a while. But, with the prices of Mac Pros, etc, I've decided to build my on Apple Pie.... :p

I'm also a music producer / audio engineer. And I'm willing to build the exact model that mylifeatadiscount is talking about (exact BUT the video card... in my free hours I love playing SimCity or Civilization hahahhaha) :lol:

I just wanna say that this thread helped me a lot, and thank everyone on it.

Just adding two questions:

1- on the build discussed here, is there the possibility of adding 32 GB RAM, instead of 16?! Is it compatible with the system? I've seen that the motherboard does support, but are there any other problems?

2- I still have a doubt about the cooling part... I'm not planning on overclocking the processor (I understand a bit about hardware, but not as much to over clock anything....), so I can use a "normal" cooler?

Thanks a lot!!!

I'm interested as to what Thunderbolt audio interface you plan on using as they are pretty thin on the ground right now. As far as I'm aware all that's available at the moment is the Universal Audio Apollo (With Thunderbolt Option Card), Avid HD Native Thunderbolt and The Apogee Symphony 64 Thunderbridge.

Using Thunderbolt of audio I/O is only really needed if you require a massive number of I/O (i.e. upwards of 32ch simultaneous I/O). The Universal Audio Apollo makes good use of Thunderbolt as it contains DSP heavyweight processing. In most cases firewire or USB are more than up to the job as long as the interface if from a reputable manufacture (for USB I would always recommend RME).

Even when it comes to PCIe audio interfaces I can really only think of one that fully exploits the bandwidth of a 1xPCIe slot,

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdspe_madi_fx.php

Which can manage a ridiculous 390 channels!

Hello, Salty Dog!

Thanks for the post and I'm glad you asked. Yes, you caught me. I am considering the Apollo. I have a firewire interface currently, but Salty, I am tired of the B word and the L word! BOTTLENECKS & LATENCY. Not to mention, I'm betting on Thunderbolt being around in the future (risk).

I currently run a very humble and quite outdated protools set up. I've been sitting on a UAD Neve card I own for about 1.5 years (yet to be used), waiting for Mac Pro hardware update... Long story...but I digress. Here is what I think...

1. Apollo w/ Thunderbolt = extremely minimal latency and the option to record (live) with some DSP plugs here and there... I don't need the I/O to record many channels at once. I need a good quality interface more so to record occasionally with some (minimal) plugins and NO latency... ok - well minimal.. lol. The UAD firewire devices cannot do this and have bottlenecks.

2. Not to mention the high quality plugs and the lack of bottlenecks, as the DSP will handle those nifty UAD plugs. Like I said, UAD TB devices will have fewer bottlenecks for DSP processing.

3. I think Thunderbolt will be around in the future, but I'm a noob and this is a risk. Who knows?

4. Finally... How I work, but this has more to do with DSP... I produce music for others (mostly). I'm not in a band and don't do a lot of band/live recording (85% of the time). I like to use any and everything to make a song. This includes any software stuff I might have (plugins, vsti's, etc) in addition to recorded tracks (bass, spoons, anything). I do not like to bounce/print/write tracks with any plugins applied. In fact, I don't like to bounce or print anything until I know a song is 100% complete. I am ALWAYS changing my mind, automating, using different patches/instruments and adjusting things. I use a decent amount of plugs, etc., on my current system and its never enough. I feel a bit better knowing that a good deal of quality processing will be handled in the DSP. This frees up the CPU to handle any stuff I might want to throw at it...

My other (music) producer friends say this is not necessary. They say the new (MAC/PC) hardware allows one to throw a ton of (native) plug-ins, etc., on many, many tracks without any issues. I believe this, but I assume things become more (cpu/ram) hungry over time and I don't want to be quite as stuck as I am now... Also, some of those nifty UAD DSP hungry plugs are not native... (off topic, I wish someone made a non TDM SoundBlender plugin.. sigh...)

I'm in no rush to buy the Apollo. I do have a card. I plan on using that for now. My experience with the card will help me decide if the Apollo is worth it. I don't need it for the grand I/O so much... more so for the FAST DSP processing and the ability to record with some plugs sans latency... However, this is a WANT. No a need. I could just buy additional cards (prices have come down). We shall see.

Hi!

1- on the build discussed here, is there the possibility of adding 32 GB RAM, instead of 16?! Is it compatible with the system? I've seen that the motherboard does support, but are there any other problems?

2- I still have a doubt about the cooling part... I'm not planning on overclocking the processor (I understand a bit about hardware, but not as much to over clock anything....), so I can use a "normal" cooler?

Thanks a lot!!!

Hey! Thanks for chiming in. FYI --- PARTS ORDERED. I will post my build experience in the golden builds forum next week (oh -- anticipation!). I'll also leave a link here to that post.

1. RAM - GREAT question. I would also like to know. I am going assume this will not work. However, I would love to know!!!

2. Though I am a noob, I am quite confident that my set up might be cool enough without a cooler. I'm sure the stock cooler that will come with your CPU should be fine (based on all I've seen/read). However, I do not know if your need for an additional graphics card changes anything. I do not plan on buying a cooling unit (at this time) and will not be over clocking anything (at this time). I am confident someone here would have raised a red flag if my unit was going to be too hot. :)

Hi!

I'm new at the forum. Actually I'm new at all this "Hackintosh world". I have a MacBook Pro, been using Mac for a while. But, with the prices of Mac Pros, etc, I've decided to build my on Apple Pie.... :p

I'm also a music producer / audio engineer. And I'm willing to build the exact model that mylifeatadiscount is talking about (exact BUT the video card... in my free hours I love playing SimCity or Civilization hahahhaha) :lol:

I just wanna say that this thread helped me a lot, and thank everyone on it.

Thanks a lot!!!

The GA-Z77X-UP5 TH will support a maximum of 32 GB, and the Customac guide has links for 32 GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM. I installed it in my recent build and it has been running flawlessly. I posted a link to the MB manual in a previous post.

If you're not going to overclock, you can get away with the stock cooler, but here are some considerations:

• The Core I7-3770K (K model) is unlocked for overclocking. If you're not going to overclock, you can save $30 by getting the Core I7-3770. Of course, you can always buy the K model and overclock later when you want to squeeze a little more power out.
  • The Core I7-3770K runs hot, and while the stock cooler can handle it, heat negatively affects processor longevity. I think an affordable, efficient aftermarket cooler is worth the money. Tom's Hardware has a couple articles about the Core I7-3770K, and they discuss heat considerations really well.
  • Some folks think the stock cooler is loud, so if noise is an issue, you can find quieter aftermarket coolers.

Thanks a lot for both answers.... 32Gb it is! :headbang:

Also, from what I have been researching, the internal fans should be enough, if not overclocking.

But, reading along, I got one more question (a noob one, now) :oops::

I've seen this build project has the Corsair 650W Power Suply.

My question is: thru the link that helps you calculate the amout needed, I got a answer of 400W. Giving a little headroom, I thought about getting a CORSAIR Gaming Series GS500 500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified High Performance Gaming Power Supply ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139033&name=Power-Supplies). I think it will be enough. (I'm actually in Brazil, so it's discontinued in the US, but we can find it here....)

BUT, it says there that it has only 2 PCIe Connectors and 6 SATA. Is it enough? What are the PCIe Conectors used for? The Cards don't get their power directly from the connection on the Motherboard? :think:

Thanks!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back