Contribute
Register

MSI Z490 Tomahawk + i7-10700k / Catalina 15.5.5 / OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
tha

thanks for the tip!!!! im sure i will give it a try, ive already spent on 3 cards, so why not give a shot with a Gigabyte card :) im not a content creator nor a music producer, i just wanted to use all conponents the boards are capable of use natively, i stayed with my old haswell i7 4770k since it came out, then one day it wouln not turn on anymore, so i decided to upgrade my 3 home computers, all with 10 gen cpus, my main computer ,,,Gigabyte Vision D Z490 with built-in Thunderbolt 3, so i said ! why not have thunderbolt 3 on all of them, !!! so i bought the other 2 motherboards very cheap about 100 dollars a piece ,so i said what i saved going cheap i will invest in a thunderbolt card, next motherboard ASUS Prime Z490-P , thunderbolt card ,,,,"ThunderboltEX 3-TR" Got it cheap around 50 dollars used, works great, next motherboard MSI MAG TOMAHAWK Z490 ,,,, TB CARD THUNDERBOLTM3 you alradey know the results :))))) maybe should havr buy a board with all built in just like the Vision D board, but since im getting a few replies from you all , i may just give it a try with a Gigabyte TB card, i ll see if i can find one on the cheap
and probably not the right thread but cheap ASUS motherboard Z490-P seems to work a lot better and faster than the Gigabyte And MSI , running an i7 cant see no difference with the i9 on the gigabyte

anyhows thanks for all your replies
aye aye, notice that too. asus seems to b gaining grounds on this forum.
got mself a cheap Prime h470m, been running great. not as sexy as z490 tomahawk, but it works.
there are a coupla hot threads on ROG z490-e and proart boards.

ditto to yr point abt getting one with all built-in :)
What i dream abt is every manufacturer has a lab with all the components available for trial

cheers

tha

thanks for the tip!!!! im sure i will give it a try, ive already spent on 3 cards, so why not give a shot with a Gigabyte card :) im not a content creator nor a music producer, i just wanted to use all conponents the boards are capable of use natively, i stayed with my old haswell i7 4770k since it came out, then one day it wouln not turn on anymore, so i decided to upgrade my 3 home computers, all with 10 gen cpus, my main computer ,,,Gigabyte Vision D Z490 with built-in Thunderbolt 3, so i said ! why not have thunderbolt 3 on all of them, !!! so i bought the other 2 motherboards very cheap about 100 dollars a piece ,so i said what i saved going cheap i will invest in a thunderbolt card, next motherboard ASUS Prime Z490-P , thunderbolt card ,,,,"ThunderboltEX 3-TR" Got it cheap around 50 dollars used, works great, next motherboard MSI MAG TOMAHAWK Z490 ,,,, TB CARD THUNDERBOLTM3 you alradey know the results :))))) maybe should havr buy a board with all built in just like the Vision D board, but since im getting a few replies from you all , i may just give it a try with a Gigabyte TB card, i ll see if i can find one on the cheap
and probably not the right thread but cheap ASUS motherboard Z490-P seems to work a lot better and faster than the Gigabyte And MSI , running an i7 cant see no difference with the i9 on the gigabyte

anyhows thanks for all your replies
@iaksakkah, just fyi, CaseySJ tried a combination of ASRock X570 board and ASRock's TB3 ad-in-card, and he reported that it works.
Keep in mind though, that it's an AMD mboard.

cheers

Good evening everyone,
I'm new and I'd like to create my first hackintosh, I tried to follow Dortania's guide for creating the efi, but to no avail. some of you could recommend me an efi that is compatible with my motherboard Msi a 490 gaming plus and the cpu i5-10400.
many thanks in advance
sorry for the not very correct English

welcome @FiloBerny05
did you try the EFI from first message ?
sometimes boards from same vendor, same chipset would work in a similar manner.
once OS is installed, it's best to create your own custom EFI

Thanks @centraljava,
No, I haven't tried the efi of the first message yet because I wanted to understand if someone had a version with open core a little more updated, because I would like to install big sur, if not, I will try with that efi and I will install catalina and following your advice once the operating system is installed I'll try to create one myself

Good evening guys I ask for your help. I profiled the big sur USB installer with Opercore and copied the EFI folder from the first page of this thread, i modified bios settings, but it doesn't work! It hangs at the apple. Can you help me?
my hardware includes:

MSI MAG Z490 tomahawk
i7 10700 KF
2X8 Viper steel 4000 mhz
2x512 Sabrent NVME Pcie 4.0
nVidia gt710 2gb ddr3
MQUPIN BCM94360CD

Last edited:
great news :), happy for you
looks like Gigabyte is the leading TB solution provider

i got the Titan ridge card . and yes it works just plug and play finally a compatible card, no modded firmaware, it just worked on the MSI right out of the box, forget msi's own cards, go with Gigabyte's TB3 card
The GC Titan ridge pretty much works out of the box with stuff that is plugged in at boot.. But there are different levels of working when it comes to thunderbolt. SSDT gives you hot plug but the modded firmware gives you Thunderbolt Bus, this gives you a more fully enabled TB3. If all you desire is hot plug on things like hard drives, hubs, UAD (some of them) then you're probably ok without changing the firmware. However, some more advanced TB3 devices do require a modified firmware. Thunderbolt<-->Thunderbolt networking, targeted disk mode (real Mac is target), EGPU, More UAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back