Contribute
Register

MSI Z490 Tomahawk + i7-10700k / Catalina 15.5.5 / OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, it looks like it stacks on airport. And I believe my setup stacks for a few seconds in a similar step. What wifi do you have?
It's a BCM94360NG, with an adapter to PCIE

Sound.

I use layout-id 1 with AppleALC.
For now, I moved voodoo hda. But there are soo many problems with it. Strange sound level, some glitches when playing youtube. But it works without going to sleep.

I would like to move back to AppleALC. But it looks like something must be fixed in OpenCore or in AppleALC itself.

Just to summarize the problem with AppleALC. All outputs appear, the system saw an audio card. But, there is no sound. I also noticed, that there is no quiet sound when system booting (I have it in the previous system). And it was like the system give power to speakers. And in this configuration (ALC1200), there is no sound on booting.
Also, at some moment I figured out, that sound appears after going out from sleep. So it looks like there are some problems with power (maybe, I'm not a big expert in audio).
:)Has your sound card problem been solved?

Update: I removed the two items in Device Properties, also removed AppleALC and ethernet kexts, and now my boot time is normal (~10 seconds).

Of course my 3.5mm sound output doesn't work anymore and the ethernet doesn't work either. But I don't use them so I don't really mind. Just want to put it here so whoever wondering about the boot time lag can have a sense of where the problem came from.

I'm considering getting this board, and I found for working audio with AppleALC kext, layout-id=7 as per this guide.

Contrary to others I'm unable to have the Realtek 2.5G Ethernet working.
I'm using a MSI Z490-A Pro motherboard.
It's all properly set in OpenCore. The network is seen in IOReg.

In automatic settings the network is not seen at all. If I set the values manually:
configure: Manual
Speed: 1000baseT
Duplex: full duplex
MTU standard 1500
as suggested in a bunch of posts I get the network become green in system preferences but it still doesn't work.

I'm forced to use manual settings anyway as the DHCP server is not negotiated properly between the gigabit router and the PC.
In the end Ethernet still doesn't work.

Can anyone help?
Thanks a lot!

Hi.

A few days ago I decided to update my hackintosh. I choose i7-10700k and MSI Z490 Tomahawk. After reading a few threads and playing few hours with clover I realize that it's not possible to run 10gen with clover (or I just not figured out how). So I use opencore 0.5.9 as a bootloader.
I cannot found a lot of examples with z490 and maybe it will help someone.

Components:
  • Motherboard: MSI Z490 Tomahawk
    • Network: Realtek RTL8125B + Intel I219V
    • Audio: Realtek ALC1200-VD1
  • CPU: Intel i7-10700k
    • iGPU: Intel graphics HD630
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 3000MHz (2x8GB)
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 250GB
  • WiFi/Bluetooth: BCM94360CS2 (+ pci adapter)

What works:
  • iGPU (display port only)
  • Network (Realtek RTL8125B and Intel I219V)
  • Handoff
  • Continuity
  • Facetime
  • iMessage
  • Beats 1
  • USB (front, USB 3.1, USB 3.2, type c)

What does not work:
  • Sound (AppleALC + layout-id 1, all outputs active but no sound)
  • Apple TV+ (black screen)

Overclock:
I use the XMP option for RAM. It changes the speed to 3000MHz which also visible in macOS.
Also, I try to run with the default MSI overclock option for CPU (game boost). macOS started without any problems and pass cinebench and geekbench.

I have a similar motherboard: MSI B460 Tomahawak with the same CPU.

• RAM: G.Skill (4x16GB)
  • SSD: Two WD NVMe 1 TBB
I have Win 10 installed on the M.2_1 NVMe and I am wanting to install Catalina on the M.2_2 NVMe.

I have tried Clover (twice) and Open Core once. It boots to the Clover and OC page but when trying to install I get several pages of text but always hangs and never gets to the installer. Not sure what the error is is the many pages of text that scrolls by.

You said "GPU (display port only)" and I have read elsewhere of there being issues with using HDMI but I am using the HDMI port as my monitor only has a VGA and HDMI port. Would it maybe help if I used a Display port to HDMI adapter or would it strictly have to use DP on both ends?

Hi.

A few days ago I decided to update my hackintosh. I choose i7-10700k and MSI Z490 Tomahawk. After reading a few threads and playing few hours with clover I realize that it's not possible to run 10gen with clover (or I just not figured out how). So I use opencore 0.5.9 as a bootloader.
I cannot found a lot of examples with z490 and maybe it will help someone.

View attachment 474899

Components:
  • Motherboard: MSI Z490 Tomahawk
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 3000MHz (2x8GB)
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 250GB
  • WiFi/Bluetooth: BCM94360CS2 (+ pci adapter)

What works:
  • iGPU (display port only)
  • Network (Realtek RTL8125B and Intel I219V)
  • Handoff
  • Continuity
  • Facetime
  • iMessage
  • Beats 1
  • USB (front, USB 3.1, USB 3.2, type c)

What does not work:
  • Sound (AppleALC + layout-id 1, all outputs active but no sound)
  • Apple TV+ (black screen)

Overclock:
I use the XMP option for RAM. It changes the speed to 3000MHz which also visible in macOS.
Also, I try to run with the default MSI overclock option for CPU (game boost). macOS started without any problems and pass cinebench and geekbench.
promising board

Last edited:
I Have the same board , everything works fine , I gave up on the Internal Audio
it just wont work no matter what, display port and hdmi audio works fine
but i have my pc connected to an old receiver so i need internal 3.5mm jack
so instead i disable the Audio from within BIOS and installed a Creative Rx5 sound card that i had laying around, i put it in a pcie x1 slot and with a few kexts works perfectly fine im sure is way better than the built-in audio , im sure you know Creative (Soundblaster) cards are not supported in OSx ,also i gave up on the Thunderbolt 3 i bought 2 cards and could not get the BIOS to detect them , i even contacted MSI and gave me a few screenshots but still no luck, and then quietly they removed all z490 motherboards from the compatibility list , shame on MSI, what is the purpose of having a thunderbolt header if MSIs own thunderbolt cards will not work, oh well

back to topic
intel i5
32gb ram
2 nvmes
bluetooth wifi card BCM94360CS2 pci-e x1
creative Rx5 pci-e x1
msi RX580

audio works
sleep works
wifi and bluetooth work no kexts , works in windows too with Apple drivers

Macos big sur
opencore 0.6.3

i can say it is almost perfect no issues as of right now

I Have the same board , everything works fine , I gave up on the Internal Audio
it just wont work no matter what, display port and hdmi audio works fine
but i have my pc connected to an old receiver so i need internal 3.5mm jack
so instead i disable the Audio from within BIOS and installed a Creative Rx5 sound card that i had laying around, i put it in a pcie x1 slot and with a few kexts works perfectly fine im sure is way better than the built-in audio , im sure you know Creative (Soundblaster) cards are not supported in OSx ,also i gave up on the Thunderbolt 3 i bought 2 cards and could not get the BIOS to detect them , i even contacted MSI and gave me a few screenshots but still no luck, and then quietly they removed all z490 motherboards from the compatibility list , shame on MSI, what is the purpose of having a thunderbolt header if MSIs own thunderbolt cards will not work, oh well

back to topic
intel i5
32gb ram
2 nvmes
bluetooth wifi card BCM94360CS2 pci-e x1
creative Rx5 pci-e x1
msi RX580

audio works
sleep works
wifi and bluetooth work no kexts , works in windows too with Apple drivers

Macos big sur
opencore 0.6.3

i can say it is almost perfect no issues as of right now
so thurderbolt cards still do not work?

nope , i refuse to believe my board is defective,
like i said i bought 2 cards one from a reseller and one from a msi partner shipped straight from msi
the card in question is the MSI ThuderboltM3 ,, the card's header fits in the motherboard , when i bought the motherboard i made sure that the Thunderbolt card was compatible so after i bought the motherboard i bought the card, if you look here. https://storage-asset.msi.com/file/test_report/TR32_14556.pdf ,,,,, they removed all support for the z490 boards, but when i bought the card there were support for at least 4 or 5 z490 boards including the Tomahawck and they did this just recently probably less than 2 weeks ago ,,,,so now i have 2 useless Thunderbolt cards, o well i may resell them on ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back