i9 9900K
Graphics
Vega64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have an interesting problem. I'm trying to finish a build which has 0 issues. But i have one left over issue.
Its a MSI z170a m5 board, 6700k CPU (no O/C), and a GTX 1080ti.

I have almost everything working ... except
i have 3 x 4k LG screens ... all display port 1.2 connected to the 1080TI.
if i have only 2 screens connected .... everything is fine. It boots normally 100% of the time, and wakes from sleep 100% of the time. Also - incase it matters, neither of these screens shows any HDMI Audio device.

If i boot with 3 screens attached ... i'd say 30% of the time, i dont get any login prompt. All 3 screens are black, no mouse. It looks like the machine is cycling through trying to power them on, but no matter how long i leave it - 0 progression.

if i plug in/turn on the monitor while the mac is running - i get the usual screen flashes while its configuring the layout, but then one of my (2 working) displays shuts off and the mac crashes.

In the event that i do get 3 screens working fully .. which is maybe 1 in 10 given the login and hotplug issues - this display has HDMI audio shown (even though none of the screens have any speakers).

Any ideas ? ive attached my config.plist, screeshots of KEXT/Patches and Drivers and a Copy of IOREG.
Just to reiterate none of the screens have speakers so HDMI audio shouldnt really be there.

its weird how only one of the screens shows HDMI audio anyway.. the one im having issues with as the 3/3 screen.
I should add, i can use this screen, on its own, without issues.

Thanks

Adrian

Attachments

• Cortex-2screens.ioreg
    8.7 MB · Views: 134
  • config.plist
    23 KB · Views: 273
  • Screenshot 2017-12-09 11.52.46.png
    Screenshot 2017-12-09 11.52.46.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot 2017-12-09 11.53.07.png
    Screenshot 2017-12-09 11.53.07.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot 2017-12-09 11.53.13.png
    Screenshot 2017-12-09 11.53.13.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 103
Hi there,

i have a similiar setup - i7 6700K, 32GB RAM, Gigabyte Aorus 1080TI Xtreme, 3x LG27UD88 4K Monitors connected via Displayport, macOS Sierra 10.12.6, clover 4334.

My setup works fine - all monitors boot up, sleep and deep sleep over several days etc.
But i had to jump through a lot of hoops to get there - especially with my monitors.
I had similar black screen problems, esp. after wake up.
Here are the most important settings of my machine.

Following Kexts are installed:
AppleALC (audio)
Atheros E2200 Ethernet (Lan 1)
IntelMausiEthernet (Lan2)
FakeSMC and all Sensor-Kexts
HibernationFixup (Probably not needed, but doesnt hurt)
IntelGraphicsFixup
Lilu
NvidiaGraphicsFixup
Shiki
USBInjectAll

Relevant Bios Settings:
IGPU is enabled, with 64MB Preallocated Ram and Max Ram set to, well, max :)
InitGFX is set to the GPU (PCIE).
--> I set these two options (esp. enabled igpu) in bios because i want to have quicksync enabled under macos

Relevant Clover-Settings:
- Typical DSDT Patches (change gfx0 to igpu for quicksync etc.)
- darkwake = 10
And - most importantly what got my monitor problem fixed - the method used to bypass the blackscreen issue when using a systemdefinition like imac 15,1 or 17,1 (i am using 17,1 because i have a skylake cpu and can therefore use the native powermanagement with this sysdef).
There are three different methods which can be used.
tldr: get nvidiagraphicsfixup kext and try using one of the following custom flags in clover to test wether one solves your problem:
  • Boot-arg "ngfxpatch=cfgmap" enforcing `none` into ConfigMap dictionary for system board-id
  • Boot-arg "ngfxpatch=vit9696" disables check for board-id , enabled by default
  • Boot-arg "ngfxpatch=pikera" replaces `board-id` with `board-ix`
If you are also using quicksync, combine it with the flag -ngfxnovarenderer

Background: When using nvidiagraphicsfixup, it uses the vit9696 method by default.
This method always got me black screens after wakeups. When i changed to the pikera method everything works fine.

Alternatively, if you dont use nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext, you can implement this method by using the following kext to patch in clover:
Name: AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy
Find: 626f6172 642d6964
Replace: 626f6172 642d6978
Comment: (c)Pike R. Alpha

Give it a try.

Oh, and regarding the hdmi audio: It is not unusual that not all monitors show hdmi audio out - it has something to to with the port layout of your graphics card (different for every vendor/model). for example, i only have 2 hdmi audio outs with 3 monitors. it is because only 2 dp-outputs on my graphics card deliver hdmi audio (tested it by switching monitors around on all ports. only dp2+3 on my graphics card have hdmi out in combination with the nvidia webdriver. in windows, everything is fine of course).

Last edited:
Ok so an update on this one.
It seems to be fixed - but i'm not sure why.
I disconnected all screens, and plugged my center screen (main one) into the left GPU port.
powered hack on, booted into macOS.
shut down, connected other two screens
Booted ... bios picked center screen to display, went into macOS selected this as main screen.
Since then 0 issues.

Hi there,

i have a similiar setup - i7 6700K, 32GB RAM, Gigabyte Aorus 1080TI Xtreme, 3x LG27UD88 4K Monitors connected via Displayport, macOS Sierra 10.12.6, clover 4334.

My setup works fine - all monitors boot up, sleep and deep sleep over several days etc.
But i had to jump through a lot of hoops to get there - especially with my monitors.
I had similar black screen problems, esp. after wake up.
Here are the most important settings of my machine.

Following Kexts are installed:
AppleALC (audio)
Atheros E2200 Ethernet (Lan 1)
IntelMausiEthernet (Lan2)
FakeSMC and all Sensor-Kexts
HibernationFixup (Probably not needed, but doesnt hurt)
IntelGraphicsFixup
Lilu
NvidiaGraphicsFixup
Shiki
USBInjectAll

Relevant Bios Settings:
IGPU is enabled, with 64MB Preallocated Ram and Max Ram set to, well, max :)
InitGFX is set to the GPU (PCIE).
--> I set these two options (esp. enabled igpu) in bios because i want to have quicksync enabled under macos

Relevant Clover-Settings:
- Typical DSDT Patches (change gfx0 to igpu for quicksync etc.)
- darkwake = 10
And - most importantly what got my monitor problem fixed - the method used to bypass the blackscreen issue when using a systemdefinition like imac 15,1 or 17,1 (i am using 17,1 because i have a skylake cpu and can therefore use the native powermanagement with this sysdef).
There are three different methods which can be used.
tldr: get nvidiagraphicsfixup kext and try using one of the following custom flags in clover to test wether one solves your problem:
  • Boot-arg "ngfxpatch=cfgmap" enforcing `none` into ConfigMap dictionary for system board-id
  • Boot-arg "ngfxpatch=vit9696" disables check for board-id , enabled by default
  • Boot-arg "ngfxpatch=pikera" replaces `board-id` with `board-ix`
If you are also using quicksync, combine it with the flag -ngfxnovarenderer

Background: When using nvidiagraphicsfixup, it uses the vit9696 method by default.
This method always got me black screens after wakeups. When i changed to the pikera method everything works fine.

Alternatively, if you dont use nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext, you can implement this method by using the following kext to patch in clover:
Name: AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy
Find: 626f6172 642d6964
Replace: 626f6172 642d6978
Comment: (c)Pike R. Alpha

Give it a try.

Oh, and regarding the hdmi audio: It is not unusual that not all monitors show hdmi audio out - it has something to to with the port layout of your graphics card (different for every vendor/model). for example, i only have 2 hdmi audio outs with 3 monitors. it is because only 2 dp-outputs on my graphics card deliver hdmi audio (tested it by switching monitors around on all ports. only dp2+3 on my graphics card have hdmi out in combination with the nvidia webdriver. in windows, everything is fine of course).
I've followed your guide and it worked beautifully at first but now the HDMI monitor won't boot with the other 2 DP monitors. I have to unplug and plug back in once booted to restore the monitor. Would you have any idea why the monitor would just stop working one day at boot? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately i don't have that setup anymore. but my guide is pretty old and some things have changed, especially regarding nvidigraphicsfixup which is now implemented into whatevergreen and needs different bootargs if you want to set one of the 3 methods i described.

so, if you didnt already update clover and all kext files (there is a handy tool from the german hackintosh-forum.de, called kext updater - i recommend it!) do this now.

Here is the tool: https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/forum/thread/32621-kext-updater/

Using Whatevergreen.kext, try one of the following bootargs in clover:

• agdpmod=vit9696 --> disables check for board-id (or add agdpmod property to external GPU).
  • agdpmod=pikera --> replaces board-id with board-ix
  • agdpmod=ignore --> disables AGDP patches (vit9696,pikera value is implicit default for external GPUs)

cheers

I can run 2 monitors on Display port but after sleep computer doesn't wake up and I need to restart computer. When one display is connected to HDMI and other do DP waking from sleep works fine. I tried all suggestions but the only configuration that works is HDMI+DP

My system is 10.13.6.
I use whatevergreen, darkwake 8 tried 10. Up-to-date Web drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back