Contribute
Register

MSI PRO Z690 A DDR4 + i7-12700K + AMD RX 580

QUESTIONS:
  1. Which Fenvi card?
  2. Which card does the M1 air use?
  3. Which band are you using on the Fenvi and M1 Air, 2.4 or 5GHz?
  4. 30% slower than what?
  5. Are you comparing two identical WiFi devices, i.e. both capable of reaching the same top speed/throughput?
  6. Does the M1 Air have a higher speed WiFi card compared to the Fenvi?
  7. Does your WiFi network support speeds higher than the Fenvi card can use?

Hello friends
Have you updated the motherboard to 7D25v1D?
Everything is fine?

QUESTIONS:
  1. Which Fenvi card?
  2. Which card does the M1 air use?
  3. Which band are you using on the Fenvi and M1 Air, 2.4 or 5GHz?
  4. 30% slower than what?
  5. Are you comparing two identical WiFi devices, i.e. both capable of reaching the same top speed/throughput?
  6. Does the M1 Air have a higher speed WiFi card compared to the Fenvi?
  7. Does your WiFi network support speeds higher than the Fenvi card can use?
Hi, I try to answer your questions, thanks for helping.
1. Fenvi card is BCM943602CS; if my memory serves correct, I purchased in 2019.
2. The M1 Air is a laptop. I have no idea what magic Apple is doing there
3. I compared both bands on both Hackingtosh and M1 Air. I decided on 5Hz. It seemed slightly quicker. I could be wrong. It wasn't like double the speed or anything like that.
5. By identical, yes, same room, same download, same modem, same conditions - I know when something is slow
6. I cannot tell you this, but like I said I am getting slow downloads maybe other things but I don't surf the 'Net on the hack so to speak, that's what caused me check - I was like what is going on
7. Yes, because I get higher speeds on my Mac M1.

To be clear, downloads are considerable slowly, now I am downloading geek bench, at 413 kb/s apparently - 309 mb,s has taken considerable time maybe 10 minutes, I have used this card before in 2019 - and if 300mb took me 10 minutes I would have noticed back then.

last thing I did compare speed tests, that's where I got the 30% difference, give or take.

any ideas what it could be?

Does anyone know what the trick is to change the ring frequency? Mine says 2700MHz, and it won't let me change it. I have a MSI Z690 Force.

MSI_SnapShot_00.jpg

@CaseySJ have you had any trouble with the Fenvi T919 on the latest Ventura? Bluetooth is working, however, wifi can't find any networks and will eventually grey out with the slash through it. I can see it clearly in IOReg. The scenario remains the same with and without Airportbrcmfixup. I've even purchased a new card. Any ideas or ring any bells?

@CaseySJ have you had any trouble with the Fenvi T919 on the latest Ventura? Bluetooth is working, however, wifi can't find any networks and will eventually grey out with the slash through it. I can see it clearly in IOReg. The scenario remains the same with and without Airportbrcmfixup. I've even purchased a new card. Any ideas or ring any bells?
My T919 in last Ventura (stable, not beta) works fine, no issues. BT and WiFi both works without any kexts, OC 0.9.4.
There is trouble with T919 on Sonoma (beta, of course): BT works, WiFi is out of order. Apple closed support for BCM94360 chip in Sonoma.
One solution is OCLP with IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext and IOSkywalkFamily.kext but with OCLP LAN adapter is out of order.

Look's like i'll not upgrade from Ventura to Sonoma on my hack now. Maybe any good solution will appear later.

My T919 in last Ventura (stable, not beta) works fine, no issues. BT and WiFi both works without any kexts, OC 0.9.4.
There is trouble with T919 on Sonoma (beta, of course): BT works, WiFi is out of order. Apple closed support for BCM94360 chip in Sonoma.
One solution is OCLP with IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext and IOSkywalkFamily.kext but with OCLP LAN adapter is out of order.

Look's like i'll not upgrade from Ventura to Sonoma on my hack now. Maybe any good solution will appear later.

I saw that. Staying away for a long while myself besides the occasional test. I can't figure out whats going on in Ventura though. Seems like a macOS issue. I've also tried removing the device from network settings and readding.

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 10.57.50 AM.png

Last edited:
OCLP isn’t meant or recommended for use on a Hack. It has been created specifically for old/unsupported Macs, so they can run newer macOS releases. With significantly reduced security in place, which is not a good idea really.

The WiFi issues in Ventura are a kext issue not an OC issue. I think this issue requires a fix for AirportBrcmFixup.kext. So the soon to be dropped Broadcom WiFi cards will continue working in macOS Sonoma, and the recent Ventura release.

Apple appear to have introduced some of the Sonoma code/WiFi changes in the latest Ventura release, which is affecting some Broadcom WiFi cards. I have a ‘natively supported’ card that doesn’t work in the latest release of Ventura, this is a BCM94360CD card mounted on a PCIE adapter. My BCM94360CS2/2CS cards, also mounted on PCIE adapters continue to work without any issues.

I think we need to be patient and wait for the Acidanthera team to update AirportBrcmFixup.kext so these Broadcom cards, including the Fenvi cards are fully functional in Ventura and Sonoma. But I believe that won’t happen till Apple release Sonoma to the public for general usage, as there is little point updating the kext only for Apple to move the Sonoma WiFi configuration goal posts at the last minute.

OCLP isn’t meant or recommended for use on a Hack. It has been created specifically for old/unsupported Macs, so they can run newer macOS releases. With significantly reduced security in place, which is not a good idea really.

The WiFi issues in Ventura are a kext issue not an OC issue. I think this issue requires a fix for AirportBrcmFixup.kext. So the soon to be dropped Broadcom WiFi cards will continue working in macOS Sonoma, and the recent Ventura release.

Apple appear to have introduced some of the Sonoma code/WiFi changes in the latest Ventura release, which is affecting some Broadcom WiFi cards. I have a ‘natively supported’ card that doesn’t work in the latest release of Ventura, this is a BCM94360CD card mounted on a PCIE adapter. My BCM94360CS2/2CS cards, also mounted on PCIE adapters continue to work without any issues.

I think we need to be patient and wait for the Acidanthera team to update AirportBrcmFixup.kext so these Broadcom cards, including the Fenvi cards are fully functional in Ventura and Sonoma. But I believe that won’t happen till Apple release Sonoma to the public for general usage, as there is little point updating the kext only for Apple to move the Sonoma WiFi configuration goal posts at the last minute.
Super helpful, thank you. I hadn't realized that this was a global thing. I had made some changes and was panicking that I hurt the card, then that I had maybe hurt the slot.

I wonder if I could grab the old driver, unload the new one from terminal, and manually launch the old one. Probably not, but sketchier things have worked.

Back