Contribute
Register

MSI PRO Z690 A DDR4 + i7-12700K + AMD RX 580

Ok, I'm really grateful @NorthAmTransAm and @Edhawk
One more question (sorry for so many questions)
I have connected two USB3 ports to each JUSB3 and JUSB4 port

for example:

JUSB3 ---> HS09 / HS10 / SS08 / SS09
or
JUSB3 ---> SS08 / SS09
?

Below, as I understood, we need to allocate 3 ports for 2 red USBs (One infrastructure and two physical numbers)
or
can I remove HS03 without causing damage?

and 4 ports for each JUSB (or 2 if i can remove hs**)
And I also use JUSB5 as Type C header

If each header is supposed to take 4 ports from me, it is very bad, but if each of them can occupy 2 ports, it will be very good.
If so, 15 ports is too few and I need to remove all USB2s to use max USB3s.
(I have 9 USB 3 hard drives)

Last edited:
Ok, I'm really grateful @NorthAmTransAm and @Edhawk
One more question (sorry for so many questions)
I have connected two USB3 ports to each JUSB3 and JUSB4 port

for example:

JUSB3 ---> HS09 / HS10 / SS08 / SS09
or
JUSB3 ---> SS08 / SS09
?

Below, as I understood, we need to allocate 3 ports for 2 red USBs (One infrastructure and two physical numbers)
or
can I remove HS03 without causing damage?

and 4 ports for each JUSB (or 2 if i can remove hs**)
And I also use JUSB5 as Type C header

If each header is supposed to take 4 ports from me, it is very bad, but if each of them can occupy 2 ports, it will be very good.
If so, 15 ports is too few and I need to remove all USB2s to use max USB3s.
(I have 9 USB 3 hard drives)
Don't forget you can use a hub and get more ports. Yes, you can remove the 2.0 (HSxx) for any USB 3.0 port.

Yes, I have 3 hubs with separate power inputs, but I have a lot of devices to connect
I think I understood
I also ordered one of these hubs

DIGIKO5606.jpeg

I will complete the map, show it to you and ask for your guidance again
Thank you

@NorthAmTransAm @Edhawk
Can you please take a look at this file?
I edited the ports and added bluetooth
I'm still not sure if I can remove HS03 (for the two red ports) and replace it with HS14 (JUSB2).

For HS13, I think it's connected for @NorthAmTransAm internal pci bluetooth cart, I changed it from 255 to 0. It's a USB2 and I think it should be 0, right?

HS11 and HS12 (Mystic Light/Bios Port), which only the physical USB 2 ports are connected to, should they remain 3 or should I change them to 0?

Attachments

• USBPorts V3.kext.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
@NorthAmTransAm @Edhawk
Can you please take a look at this file?
I edited the ports and added bluetooth
I'm still not sure if I can remove HS03 (for the two red ports) and replace it with HS14 (JUSB2).

For HS13, I think it's connected for @NorthAmTransAm internal pci bluetooth cart, I changed it from 255 to 0. It's a USB2 and I think it should be 0, right?

HS11 and HS12 (Mystic Light/Bios Port), which only the physical USB 2 ports are connected to, should they remain 3 or should I change them to 0?

For HS03 just delete it from the plist file if you dont need it!

As for the USB 2.0 ports such as HS11 and HS12 I've settled on leaving them at 3 but but if you feel more comfortable you can select 0.

For HS13 if it's I believe it should be 255 since its internal.

@Edhawk do you set your actual physical 2.0's to "0" or leave it at "3"? Im not sure where I picked it up but i've left mine at 3.

These are the guidelines I use for setting connector types for USB ports.
  1. USB2 physical (black tang) - USB2 (0)
  2. USB2 header (on motherboard) - Internal (255)
  3. USB3 physical (Red or Blue tang) - USB3 (3)
  4. USB2 virtual from USB3 physical - USB3 (3) to match physical port.
  5. USB3 header (on motherboard) - USB3 (3)
  6. USB2 virtual from USB3 header - USB3 (3) to match physical port.
  7. Type-C physical/Header - Type-c+sw (9) or Type-c (10)
  8. Type-C USB2 virtual - Type-c+sw (9) or Type-c (10) to match physical port.

Back Plate USB ports.png Back Plate USB ports

Motherboard USB Headers.png Motherboard Headers

Hope this helps.

These are the guidelines I use for setting connector types for USB ports.
  1. USB2 physical (black tang) - USB2 (0)
  2. USB2 header (on motherboard) - Internal (255)
  3. USB3 physical (Red or Blue tang) - USB3 (3)
  4. USB2 virtual from USB3 physical - USB3 (3) to match physical port.
  5. USB3 header (on motherboard) - USB3 (3)
  6. USB2 virtual from USB3 header - USB3 (3) to match physical port.
  7. Type-C physical/Header - Type-c+sw (9) or Type-c (10)
  8. Type-C USB2 virtual - Type-c+sw (9) or Type-c (10) to match physical port.

View attachment 568128 Back Plate USB ports

View attachment 568129 Motherboard Headers

Hope this helps.

I must have been rebelling when making it.

@CREEEP If you are looking to add natively supported USB3 ports to your system, I would recommend you have a look at a PCIe x4 ASMedia USB3 card that uses the 2142 or 3142 ASMedia Chipset. They are outside the Intel USB port limit, as macOS treats them as External PCIe cards, as you would use in a real Mac Pro.

I have a couple of different cards of this nature and they work as expected with no need for any patches, fixes or third-party kexts. They work with the native kexts provided by Apple in macOS. Below is a screenshot from Hackintool showing the PCIe tab, the ASMedia USB PCIe x4 card is highlighted.

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 20.36.13.png Hackintool > PCIe tab (Z270/KBL system)

These cards are usually available from Amazon or on eBay new starting at around £20 for a 2xport card. They can come with 4 or 5 x Type-A ports or a mix of Type-A and Type-C ports. Mine are the latter with either 2 or 3 Type-A/C ports. As shown in the link below from Amazon UK.

@CREEEP If you are looking to add natively supported USB3 ports to your system, I would recommend you have a look at a PCIe x4 ASMedia USB3 card that uses the 2142 or 3142 ASMedia Chipset. They are outside the Intel USB port limit, as macOS treats them as External PCIe cards, as you would use in a real Mac Pro.

I have a couple of different cards of this nature and they work as expected with no need for any patches, fixes or third-party kexts. They work with the native kexts provided by Apple in macOS. Below is a screenshot from Hackintool showing the PCIe tab, the ASMedia USB PCIe x4 card is highlighted.

View attachment 568130 Hackintool > PCIe tab (Z270/KBL system)

These cards are usually available from Amazon or on eBay new starting at around £20 for a 2xport card. They can come with 4 or 5 x Type-A ports or a mix of Type-A and Type-C ports. Mine are the latter with either 2 or 3 Type-A/C ports. As shown in the link below from Amazon UK.

Yes, these cards are very good, but unfortunately I don't have an empty PCI slot
------------------------------------------
Very good friends
Before changing the kext, I benchmarked the USB ports using an external hard drive
Approximate results for USB3 reading speed: 72-70
Approximate results for USB3 write speed: 68-70
But after changing the kext
Approximate results for USB3 read speed: 65-60
Approximate results for USB3 writing speed: 30-35

Any idea why this amount of drop occurred?

The results are the same for USB2: R&W : 26-29

USB-C does not recognize the hard drive at all

Last edited:
Back