Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI B460M Pro-VDH WiFi
CPU
I5-10400
Graphics
UHD 630
I am getting ready to build a new system to replace my old i7-2700. I have a MSI B460M-VDH mobo with a i5-10400 cpu and 16gb of memory. I would like to use what I have and am wondering if this mobo will work? Doing a search I see a few other MAI 460’s but not my specific board. I would also like to use the built in gpu.

Thanks

I am getting ready to build a new system to replace my old i7-2700. I have a MSI B460M-VDH mobo with a i5-10400 cpu and 16gb of memory. I would like to use what I have and am wondering if this mobo will work? Doing a search I see a few other MAI 460’s but not my specific board. I would also like to use the built in gpu.

Thanks
Hi there,

Congrats on the upgrade and yes your new board will most certainly work. You can check out my guide here which I have created for a Z490 with i5-10400 and then upgraded to an i9-11900K.

> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-xtreme-core-i5-10400-nvidia-gtx-1060.310287/

Hi there,

Congrats on the upgrade and yes your new board will most certainly work. You can check out my guide here which I have created for a Z490 with i5-10400 and then upgraded to an i9-11900K.

> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-xtreme-core-i5-10400-nvidia-gtx-1060.310287/
Thank you, I will take a look at your link. I am in the process of creating the opencore bootable usb right now. I am waiting on a new case but hopefully by next week I will have it ready to go.

Yes This seems Good. I have build a similar build using MSI B460 Pro vdh wifi everything is good. But I had a slow wifi connection so I changed wifi card and now everything is perfect.
Did you follow a specific guide on setting it up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Made an attempt yesterday to get Catalina installed and it goes through the install process but ends up back at the usb installer. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I am trying to install to a WD NVME drive but it reboots back to the usb. I was expecting to see the installed version pop up as a boot choice. I made a mine change to the config.plist to point it to my iGPU.

Made an attempt yesterday to get Catalina installed and it goes through the install process but ends up back at the usb installer. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I am trying to install to a WD NVME drive but it reboots back to the usb. I was expecting to see the installed version pop up as a boot choice. I made a mine change to the config.plist to point it to my iGPU.
once you have installed macOS, you boot from usb to access the desktop, then transfer the EFI from your usb stick to the EFI on your hard drive

When it reboots it only shows me the usb installer as a boot option. I don’t see an option to boot into the Catalina install.
maybe it didn't install correctly

make sure in DiskUtility you erase the entire drive, click on view and show all devices option and then click the hard drive and erase

My EFI works very well with Monterey.
If you are installing other version and using My EFI please make sure to include only necessary kext as you can add later.
Remove my usb mapping kext and add inject all isb kext, and change or remove wireless kext for Catalina.

Now wile installing use only usb 2.0 port, and erase your ssd from disk utility using APFS file system.
I was planning to upgrade once I was able to download it but I didn’t see it as option to download from gibMacOS. Is there a way to get it before having a working install of MacOS? Everything I am seeing requires signing up and downloading through the beta program.

Thanks

Please tell about efi. Are you using my uploaded EFI. If yes then reples wireless kext with this which is for catalina. And remove my usb mapping and add injectallusb
I am using yours, I went in and changed it to point towards my iGPU.

This is all pretty new to new so I hope that I am doing it right. I have removed the USB map, and added the inject all and the airport kext. After that I did a shift/ctrl + r in propertree and then saved the plist. I have it attempting another install now. I didn’t see another Wifi kext to remove when I added the one you posted.
After booting the usb installer I went in to disk utility and formatted the nvme drive to APFS and pointed the install to it. Takes about 90 minutes for it to install so I will check back in a bit. Is my assumption correct that if the install goes right then it should reboot in to the Catalina install where I can finish the post-install configuration and not the usb installer?

Thanks again for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back