Contribute
Register

Mr Eddy's Photo Station - GA-Z77X-UD5H | i7-3770k | MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Initially, I updated it just because I thought it would be better. But after some tests, I realised my graphic card would not work properly with the original bios, so it completely makes sense with what have experienced :)

Thank for your answer, I updated the bios but still had trouble with Windows ended up removing the open gl driver for Intel as it was disabled in bios and that solved my problem. Now Windows is working as well and OSX :)

MrEddy,

I had a quick question about this build because I have embarked on putting together a screaming fast machine for my wife's photography business :headbang:. I have my own personal build that I put together back in 2007 (Pre SSD). I plan to mimic this build but I may go with the
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH so I can out together a solid and fast back-up strategy.
However, that is not what my question is;

I wanted to quickly discuss you set-up strategy with the SSD and HDD. Did you install the OS on the SSD? If so, what do you use the HDD drives for? Do you use those drives as a "live projects" and "Archive Projects"?

Just trying to isolate the best strategy for have speed with the SSD but be able to expand if needed as the photo library grows.

Excellent build! I was always waiting for a photographer to post there build to see what the best strategy was for a solid workflow with Lightroom and Photoshop. Thanks for the help!
Hi,

About the motherboard you may choose, I suppose you're looking at the UP5-TH for thunderbolt ? Honestly, external HDD connected via FW800 (to keep the chain advantage) may be a better option. Works very efficiently and is much cheaper. I used this configuration before having my hackintosh.

Now about my backup strategy, I have 2 HDD divided in 4 partitions :
• one for time machine, if for any reason I mess up my OSX install and need to recover some files recently created/modified
• one for my photos "live projects" and different stuff (softwares dmg to avoid redownloading/searching every soft if needed, music, etc)
• one as a copy of my last clean install created using Carbon Copy Cloner
• one for my photos and other stuff as an "archive" in case the other one crashes.

And an external backup of course, using eSATA, which gives me speed backup. But those are not plugged usually, just when I'm backing up.

I think I could use less backups in my case (especially of the system disk), but since this is my first hackintosh, I wasn't sure how much reliable it would be.

About the build itself, as I've written in the OP, this is an excellent build !! Loads of space to have multiple hard drives connected to the motherboard to store as many photos as you need. And about Lightroom/Photoshop, it's just a pleasure to work ! Everything is done in an instant ! I did try by the way to put the recent photos on my SSD to work on them, but couldn't see any real benefit in term of speed. So my SSD is here just for the apps and my personal files, all my photos, music are on HDD.

So you shouldn't worry for your wife, she will be very happy with all this ;)

Thank for your answer, I updated the bios but still had trouble with Windows ended up removing the open gl driver for Intel as it was disabled in bios and that solved my problem. Now Windows is working as well and OSX :)
I don't have Windows, so I can't compare sorry.

Great build Mr Eddy! Lots of good info.

Thanks :) And it's very usefull when I need to recheck how I've done some settings :mrgreen:

Update :
I received the IOGear bluetooth dongle, but it didn't help at all. It seems like the amount of data to transfer is sometimes to heavy for it. This was using a USB2 port. I am testing the USB3 port know and will report in a few days if it improves for sound transfer.

The only "benefit" is that I can know wake my build from sleep with the trackpad. Not a real improvement, since my Logitech keyboard can wake it anyway :)
I wish Logitech had a trackpad for Mac NOT using bluetooth. Actually, they have one, but it's given as working only for Windows PC and couldn't find any information about someone testing it on a mac or a hackintosh. The only reason I have this bluetooth dongle is for my Magic Trackpad. And since I already have a USB dongle for Logitech, adding a Logitech trackpad made for their proprietary wireless system would save me the use of bluetooth.

I built my own Apple Branded Bluetooth Adapter with antenna. It works very well and range is great. I have never had a problem with my Magic Mouse or any bluetooth peripherals. My neighbours phone shows up in my devices search. This a great thread with lots of info. It was an interesting little build, if you have time to make one.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/customiza...bluetooth-module-usb-hub-solved-sleep-22.html

I've read your post about your home made bluetooth antenna once already and other "home made" from apple's bluetooth, but didn't have time to give it a try.
Actually, I'm thinking of buying an airport express. If I'm correct, my hackintosh wired to my internet box should be able to transfer the music to an airport express (connected to the WiFi of my internet box) even if I don't have WiFi on my hackintosh. But I'm still not sure it would work in fact. But this option would give me a much better audio definition than the bluetooth way.

EDIT : In fact it should work, since I can sync my iPhone over WiFi for example.

If I'm correct, my hackintosh wired to my internet box should be able to transfer the music to an airport express (connected to the WiFi of my internet box) even if I don't have WiFi on my hackintosh. But I'm still not sure it would work in fact.
Indeed this will work. At least, by default you can stream music to it from iTunes (or from iOS devices on the network). If you get AirFoil (I use this) you get it as another audio device on your machine you can route any audio to.

The Airport Express just needs to be on the same subnet. Here we have a LAN segment and two WiFi networks (separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and have Expresses on all three segments (an older G-only unit is on a LAN port). Any machine on the subnet can talk to any Airport Express on any of the segments in the subnet.

Also the AirFoil Speakers software will let your computer advertise itself as an AirPlay device, so you could play from your iPhone out your computer's speakers.

DBP > Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, it's not working that well.
When I set it up, it works great. But as soon as I put my hack to sleep, or restart it, the airport base station became impossible to find. Even with my hack and my AX having the samp IP address.

I have written more detailed tests on another thread where 2 other members have encountered the same issue, without solving it apparently : http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/7...gabyte-ds3h-i7-3770-amd-radeon-hd-6870-a.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back