Contribute
Register

Mr Eddy's Photo Station - GA-Z77X-UD5H | i7-3770k | MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Eddy's Photo Station - GA-Z77X-UD5H | i7-3770k | 16GB RAM

Last time I check Gigabyte website's, it was.
Have you tried to install ML without your GTX 660 ?

Is your UEFI set up correctly ? (See here : http://www.tonymacx86.com/99-quick-guide-configuring-uefi-gigabyte-s-7-series-lga-1155-boards.html )

When it's crashing, could you have a look at your mobo's debug "screen" (It's next to the start button on the mobo) and tell me what's the last number you get ?

By the way, what have you checked in Multibeast installer ?
I remember I had a crash when I installed "FakeSMC". Since then, I don't install it anymore. Just "FakeSMC Plugins".

Mr Eddy's Photo Station - GA-Z77X-UD5H | i7-3770k | 16GB RAM

On debug screen, a 2 digit led says either AD or A0
This is either fun or frustrating. No matter what it's a challenge. I did lots of searching on this forum. Funny how history keeps repeating. Someone remarked that in Multibeast checking Customization>Boot Options>GraphicsEnabler=No did the trick for him/her. It worked for me too.
I did check non-DSDT which installs fake SMC

Some inconsistencies are probably responsible for tonymac not listing a known "guaranteed to work solution" for everyone with even a specific motherboard.

My success is incomplete, b/c I still only have a a few issues. I'll be searching the forum.

Thanks for your thought and time. Have a good night!

Great build! I have an identical build to yours. Have you changed the ram speed in the BIOS? I changed it to 1600 to match the ram and over locked it to 4.4 and my Geekbench score shot up to 17,014!

I wanted to ask you about the driver for the 660 ti you installed. Is it stable? I have tried it and not having much luck. Ended up having to restore from back ups due to kernel panics. I know this is supposed to work. :banghead:

My graphic card is a gtx 660 non Ti. But in fact, the "Ti" are supposed to work better (even without nVidia drivers in fact) since they are now supported by ML 10.8.2 On my build, for example, if I need to do an install from scratch, I need to do it using the HD 4000 first.

How went your install ? If you were able to do it with your GTX 660 Ti connected from start, then you should not have any issue. Then you can install the nVidia driver if you prefer, but it should not be necessary, unless you need the CUDA ones.

So I followed Slugnets's guide as well. Bios is F14. Everything except FireWire worked from the first power on. I setup everything with video card installed So I can't complain. I am beyond pleased with the performance of this machine. Everything said and done I have about $2000 into this machine and I couldn't be happier. I do have a dual boot with ML 10.8.2 and Windows 7. Windows is only there for gaming as there are that many good titles for os x. Mac side is used primarily for my day to day stuff and photo video editing. Most importantly it is versatile in its future upgrades and the storage is awesome!! Only thing I need now is a good monitor. Using an old LCD tv which doesnt do this video card justice.

enjoy your beast in good health. Merry Christmas and Happy hackintoshing in the new year!!

Hey Mr. Eddy,

I do photo editing too and was debating hardcore on the Ti version, how do you like your graphics card? Let me know, thanks. Tien

djsmootht,

I only have the GTX 660, not the Ti version, and never had it. But as much as I can compare to what people using the Ti version, it wouldn't add anything to my workflow since Photoshop completely recognize it and use it when it can (this depends on the software and has nothing to do with the OS anyway). In Lightroom, doesn't seem to make any difference, the CPU is their much more important.
So far, I have to say I'm very pleased with my build. For ~$1700 (VAT included), I have been able to build an incredibly powerful mac.

Hope I helped :)

I knew you had the 660, I was debating on that or the Ti version. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back