Contribute
Register

Mr Eddy's Photo Station - GA-Z77X-UD5H | i7-3770k | MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same graphics card and wanted to ask.

How is your performance in 3d games?

For me I noticed great fps...

but terrible stuttering of the image.

It was worse than the 4850 before it....

have you noticed antyhing similar in diablo2 or gw2... wow ?

My msi 660 is on its way back to newegg right now

trying to decided on what to get at this point...

660ti 670 or 7870 7950...

my 27" ips is a strain on video cards 2560x1440

Thanks for your Thread. I also built my machine off of Slugnet but used GTX 670 instead. Was having some issues with my sleep and now it looks like it is sort of fix, still can't get auto sleep, but now I can actually force the machine to sleep with your advised of disabling CPU PLL Overvoltage. I don't think I will overclock for a while so I'm okay with stock. I have 3 Monitors running on my GFX card with that Nvidia Driver(found the info on the forum), using a display port adapter. Running 2x21" 1080p Monitor and a Wacom Cintiq 21UX at 1600X1200. Running pretty smooth. Thanks Again!

Edit: Auto Sleep is working now. Word.

trying to decided on what to get at this point...

660ti 670 or 7870 7950...

my 27" ips is a strain on video cards 2560x1440

You are better off with a higher end nVidia as Apple has not supported AMD/ATI 7000 series graphics cards. Apple might support the 6900 and 7000 in 10.8.3 but I wouldn't bet on it.

Hey Mr. Eddy,

I do photo editing too and was debating hardcore on the Ti version, how do you like your graphics card? Let me know, thanks. Tien

I'm using the MSI Ti version and experience daily random freezes that I haven't been able to resolve. I'd avoid it, others are having the same issue.

I haven't experienced any freeze with the non Ti version.

Are you sure your installation is correct ? The Ti version are since 10.8.2 natively supported I read.

Wondering why you had to update the bios was it because the MSI card or just GTX660? I have the EVGA gtx660 oc with the f-8 bios OSX runs just fine but not quite as good with Windows. Running some video tests in photoshop and get the expected speed under OSX almost double under windows. But on a second box same came card windows and osx run the action at the same speed. The differences of the to are chip,windows version and bios, time under osx is the same on both boxes so its not the chip this leaves the bios or windows as the bottle neck. Its the os or the bios just trying to figure it out.

Box one I7 3770k windows seven/osx 10.8.2 and gt660 with bios = f8, window 7 runs the action at twice the speed as osx.
Bos two I5 2500k windows eight/osx 10.8.2 and gt660 with bios =f14, windows 8 and OSX run the action at the same speed.

I think this make sense?

01/13/2013 :
Added a word about my bluetooth dongle in combination with the Logitech Wireless Speaker.
Added a guide to get GPU acceleration (CUDA) in Premiere Pro and After Effects.

Wondering why you had to update the bios was it because the MSI card or just GTX660? I have the EVGA gtx660 oc with the f-8 bios OSX runs just fine but not quite as good with Windows. Running some video tests in photoshop and get the expected speed under OSX almost double under windows. But on a second box same came card windows and osx run the action at the same speed. The differences of the to are chip,windows version and bios, time under osx is the same on both boxes so its not the chip this leaves the bios or windows as the bottle neck. Its the os or the bios just trying to figure it out.

Box one I7 3770k windows seven/osx 10.8.2 and gt660 with bios = f8, window 7 runs the action at twice the speed as osx.
Bos two I5 2500k windows eight/osx 10.8.2 and gt660 with bios =f14, windows 8 and OSX run the action at the same speed.

I think this make sense?
Initially, I updated it just because I thought it would be better. But after some tests, I realised my graphic card would not work properly with the original bios, so it completely makes sense with what have experienced :)

MrEddy,

I had a quick question about this build because I have embarked on putting together a screaming fast machine for my wife's photography business :headbang:. I have my own personal build that I put together back in 2007 (Pre SSD). I plan to mimic this build but I may go with the
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH so I can out together a solid and fast back-up strategy.
However, that is not what my question is;

I wanted to quickly discuss you set-up strategy with the SSD and HDD. Did you install the OS on the SSD? If so, what do you use the HDD drives for? Do you use those drives as a "live projects" and "Archive Projects"?

Just trying to isolate the best strategy for have speed with the SSD but be able to expand if needed as the photo library grows.

Excellent build! I was always waiting for a photographer to post there build to see what the best strategy was for a solid workflow with Lightroom and Photoshop. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back