Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi Y'all,

About 3 years back, I built my first customac which eventually got upgraded from OS9 to OSX up until last week. I have since given off the same build to my son but I had to remove the SSD (OSX) and replace it with a new SSD (windows 10). So now I am left with my OSX installed SSD but no machine for which to use it. I was planning on a new build and use the SSD (OSX) on it. Since the Mobo will be different, the questions is will the old SSD (OSX) work straightaway on the new build? The old build had a gigabyte mobo in it and I plan on building a new one with another gigabyte mobo but different model. Has anyone ever experienced something similar where you had to move the existing SSD to a new machine?

In theory, you could boot that used SSD via UniBeast or Clover and remove any Kexts that you installed initially from S/L/E and from your SSD's EFI partition as well as deleting your /Extra folder if you have one?

You could then repair permissions, reformat your EFI partition and then run MultiBeast or Clover with settings and Kexts compatible with your new motherboard however i think that your system might suffer instability if you chose this route so i would go the following route below instead;

• Clone the used SSD to a External drive or spare HDD partition for use in later steps
  • Perform a clean OSX install (re-formatting your used SSD) via UniBeast or Clover
  • Setup your Hackintosh post install with either MultiBeast or Clover
  • When done/working, connect your spare HDD containing your backup SSD clone
  • Launch Utilities > Migration Assistant
  • Choose which files and settings you want to migrate from your clone backup and then let Migration Assistant import your OSX files, settings, data, etc to your SSD ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back