Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion GUIDE - 2012 Sony VAIO S Series (SVS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the problem:

My HDD led indicator was constantly on and I could hear my HDD reading/writing. Activity Monitor showed me a process "kextcache" and the HDD was reading files nonstop. I had seen something about kextcache in p state log in DPCI manager. So I checked again and noticed that it showed the same lines over and over again. Look on screenshot 1.

This has something to do with the kexts I installed on my previous installation. "JMicronATA", " IOUSBAttachedSCSI" etc.

These kext are from the USB package from the guide I followed: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283613-sony-vaio-s-2012-ml-success-ivy-i5-hd-4000/

They were problematic back then. USB 2.0 worked but when I installed some applications, I got an "Installation failed" screen. When I checked the installation logs, I could find these kexts several times. And USB 3.0 devices plugged to the USB 3.0 ports worked as 2.0..

This time I did not install these kexts from usb package. USB 2.0 doesn't work but I can use USB 3.0 ports (but only with USB 3.0 devices).

So I just (force) ejected the other partition with my previous installation on it and my hdd indicator stopped blinking. the kextcache process dissappeared and the p states log showed only p state changes (screenshot 2).

I could shut down immediately! Booting is now twice as fast. I tried with my old dsdt and it worked again. So I guess I don't need to patch it with the patch you posted, right?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 159
This time I did not install these kexts from usb package. USB 2.0 doesn't work but I can use USB 3.0 ports (but only with USB 3.0 devices).

So I just (force) ejected the other partition with my previous installation on it and my hdd indicator stopped blinking. the kextcache process dissappeared and the p states log showed only p state changes (screenshot 2).

I could shut down immediately! Booting is now twice as fast. I tried with my old dsdt and it worked again. So I guess I don't need to patch it with the patch you posted, right?

Yeah, installing replacement USB kexts is a bad idea anyway...

Doesn't sound like you need that restart fix (Like I said, I don't even know the conditions which make it a requirement).

Yeah, installing replacement USB kexts is a bad idea anyway...

Doesn't sound like you need that restart fix (Like I said, I don't even know the conditions which make it a requirement).

Alright. But thanks for the effort.

How can I get the USB ports to work? Right now I can only use USB 3.0 ports and only for USB 3.0 devices.

My laptop has 1 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 ports.

Alright. But thanks for the effort.

How can I get the USB ports to work? Right now I can only use USB 3.0 ports and only for USB 3.0 devices.

My laptop has 1 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 ports.

When running vanilla install (eg. no USB hackery) and GenericUSBXHCI.kext what is the status of your USB?
Check BIOS settings related to USB.
Check system.log for errors related to USB.
Check ioreg and or make a copy of it.

You know what? I had already found the drivers you mentioned but didn't want to risk breaking the system by trying out different kexts. But now that you told me to I did and it worked! :D

Every combination works! USB 3.0 speeds and USB 2.0 working, too! Great!

There are only 2 things that doen't work:

1. The battery indicator. I haven't tried Voodoo Battery. Will it work now that I have no rollback kexts? Or should I rather find a patch for dsdt?
2. 'About my Mac'. It never worked for me. Always crashes Finder/logs out user. Could this be because of unrecognized CPU? RAM? Something else?

At the beginning there was a "User's Macbook Pro" line on the left side of Finder. After I made some changes to the system (I guess also creating smbios.plist), it disappeared. It's empty now.

You know what? I had already found the drivers you mentioned but didn't want to risk breaking the system by trying out different kexts. But now that you told me to I did and it worked! :D

Every combination works! USB 3.0 speeds and USB 2.0 working, too! Great!

There are only 2 things that doen't work:

1. The battery indicator. I haven't tried Voodoo Battery. Will it work now that I have no rollback kexts? Or should I rather find a patch for dsdt?

VoodooBattery works the same as my AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext, but AppleSmart* has better compatibility.

You will need DSDT patches. But first you need to see what is broken by using debug version...

2. 'About my Mac'. It never worked for me. Always crashes Finder/logs out user. Could this be because of unrecognized CPU? RAM? Something else?

At the beginning there was a "User's Macbook Pro" line on the left side of Finder. After I made some changes to the system (I guess also creating smbios.plist), it disappeared. It's empty now.

Don't know. What sysdef are you using?

I used Macbook Pro 9.2 definitiom in Chameleon Wizard.

Should I try Voodoo Battery? What do you mean by debug version?

hi. I follow your link and installed the release version from RehabMan-Battery-2013-0407.zip

It did not work so I tried to follow this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/264597-hp-dvx-acpi-3x4x-battery-driver-106107/#entry1729132

You need to run the debug version and look at system.log in Console to see what is failing. There is no sense in looking at a DSDT method for problems if there aren't any.

But I can't the find the BAT0 device. In my dsdt there is BAT1 and a BAT2 device (Vaio S series can have an extended battery). I would just try it out but I don't know what exactly to replace or where to add the code from the guide.. :/

The name of the battery device is not significant. Most of the times it is BAT0, but there is no standard for the name (they could name it FOO9 if they wanted). If you post your DSDT, I'll take a quick look at it. Most all DSDTs need patching for battery status to work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back