Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion GUIDE - 2012 Sony VAIO S Series (SVS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much correct. To enable Ivy PM, you also must have an sysdef that is appropriate for Ivy CPU, which depends on what specific CPU you have.

I forgot to mention that I used Chameleon Wizard to create the smbios.plist with this definition: MacBook Pro 9.2. It has i7 3520M Ivy Bridge CPU, HD4000 and GT650M just like me (I'm not quite sure whether I have a 640M or 650M but it's useless anyway in OS X).

Then you should verify by looking at ioreg to see if x86platformplugin is loading under CPU nodes. And run pstate checker in DPCIManager to verify pstates are being reached.

There is no x86platformplugin loaded. When I search it nothing shows up. Do I have to enable P/C States? they're currently both off. And I found a NullCPUPowerManagement kext in Extra/Extensions. Could this (also) be a problem?

There is no x86platformplugin loaded. When I search it nothing shows up. Do I have to enable P/C States? they're currently both off. And I found a NullCPUPowerManagement kext in Extra/Extensions. Could this (also) be a problem?

Remove NullCPU. You'll get no PM (Ivy or Sandy) with NullCPU loading...

You should have seen NullCPU in ioreg...

Removing Nullcpu kext didn't do anything. Yes, it is in IOreg (look on screenshot). I then tried with "generate c and p states = yes" settings, and even rebuilt cache but it didn't change anything. still the same in ioreg.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2013-07-20 um 00.11.28.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2013-07-20 um 00.11.28.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 299
Removing Nullcpu kext didn't do anything. Yes, it is in IOreg (look on screenshot). I then tried with "generate c and p states = yes" settings, and even rebuilt cache but it didn't change anything. still the same in ioreg.

Compress and upload output of bdmesg in Terminal. You're loading it from somewhere...

Okay, I will do a fresh install using the same guide like before but instead of HD4000PlatformID=3 I will go with 4. Or should I avoid this completely since I now have a DSDT file (step 6)?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283613-sony-vaio-s-2012-ml-success-ivy-i5-hd-4000/

It *does not* seem like last time you followed the guide you linked... Just sayin'...

You definitely need ig-platform-id=4 for high resolution displays. Generally, =3 only works for 1366x768.

It *does not* seem like last time you followed the guide you linked... Just sayin'...

Not 100%.. I tried different things and after 4 days or so I kind of got it to work.. trial and error. But now I know more about this stuff and followed the guide. Asked a friend who has a Mac for the Unibeast part.

But instead of his DSDT I used the one I made and patched thanks to you.

You definitely need ig-platform-id=4 for high resolution displays. Generally, =3 only works for 1366x768.

I did. Booted okay, native resolution and brightness control working (because of existing DSDT in /Extra folder on Unibeast USB Stick?). Only my touchpad doesn't work yet, on my other installation it worked out of the box.

PS: It's the first boot and I did not touch anything yet, right now I use my sister's laptop to write to you lol

EDIT: When I explored my external drive and made a right click>open with I noticed some programs which I had installed on the other installation, on a different partition. But I booted in this new installation on the new partition. There are currently no programs installed, application folder is also empty (only standard programs are there but not ones I had on the other installation). How is that even possible? Could this be a problem? :/

Not 100%.. I tried different things and after 4 days or so I kind of got it to work.. trial and error. But now I know more about this stuff and followed the guide. Asked a friend who has a Mac for the Unibeast part.

But instead of his DSDT I used the one I made and patched thanks to you.

Sounds good so far. Just make sure you're using a legit retail Mac App Store purchase to start with. Not only is using something else against the rules of this site, it also leads directly to trouble, because you have no idea what might be in there...

I did. Booted okay, native resolution and brightness control working (because of existing DSDT in /Extra folder on Unibeast USB Stick?). Only my touchpad doesn't work yet, on my other installation it worked out of the box.

This sounds good so far. Are you booting from the HDD using boot loader on the HDD? No USB stick...??

PS: It's the first boot and I did not touch anything yet, right now I use my sister's laptop to write to you lol

EDIT: When I explored my external drive and made a right click>open with I noticed some programs which I had installed on the other installation, on a different partition. But I booted in this new installation on the new partition. There are currently no programs installed, application folder is also empty (only standard programs are there but not ones I had on the other installation). How is that even possible? Could this be a problem? :/

Watch out for multiple partitions. It can cause trouble. In particular, depending on what order the partitions are in, it is possible to pick up options and/or /Extra/Extensions from the partition you're not working with/booting. This is required by the boot loader because that is exactly what happens just after OS X installation when you use the Unibeast USB to boot into the vanilla OS X install that the OS X installer creates (which obviously will only work on a Mac). In that scenario, some kexts are loaded from /Extra/Extensions (or /Extra/Extensions.mkext) on the USB in addition to /S/L/E on the boot target partition. This can happen in the case of multiple partitions on the HDD too, so it is best to avoid that by having only one clean partition, and having Chimera installed to that partition. This can be debugged using bdmesg so you can see where the bootloader is loading things from to make sure there's nothing unexpected.

Also, it is normal if you have multiple partitions for OS X to "notice" (via spotlight, I believe) that there are applications not installed to /Applications. It is just like having any .app in ~/Downloads, for example. Those items as well as .app bundles that are on any partition are offered up in spotlight search and in Open->With.

Sounds good so far. Just make sure you're using a legit retail Mac App Store purchase to start with. Not only is using something else against the rules of this site, it also leads directly to trouble, because you have no idea what might be in there...

This time my friend made the Unibeast USB stick for me (I don't have a mac). He has a real iMac, so I guess he has a App store Mountain Lion.

This sounds good so far. Are you booting from the HDD using boot loader on the HDD? No USB stick...??

"THE NEXT STEP REQUIRES AN EXISTING MAC, to install the custom bootloader on the USB device. Get the USB Installer, insert it into the other Mac or Hackintosh and install http://blog.stuffedc....1svn-r2012.pkg, a bootloader by stuffedcow for HD 4000 users."

We installed this on the USB Stick and booted from it into the partition with new installation. The bootloader I had before when booting from HDD looked different.

Watch out for multiple partitions. It can cause trouble. In particular, depending on what order the partitions are in, it is possible to pick up options and/or /Extra/Extensions from the partition you're not working with/booting. This is required by the boot loader because that is exactly what happens just after OS X installation when you use the Unibeast USB to boot into the vanilla OS X install that the OS X installer creates (which obviously will only work on a Mac). In that scenario, some kexts are loaded from /Extra/Extensions (or /Extra/Extensions.mkext) on the USB in addition to /S/L/E on the boot target partition. This can happen in the case of multiple partitions on the HDD too, so it is best to avoid that by having only one clean partition, and having Chimera installed to that partition. This can be debugged using bdmesg so you can see where the bootloader is loading things from to make sure there's nothing unexpected.

I experienced this before when I had a backup partition and tried to boot from it. It loaded some things from my first partition. But now I booted from USB, so nothing loaded from other partition (for example touchpad, audio kexts).. It was confusing because I didn't know OS X 'noticed' applications on different partition. Windows for example doesn't do this.

Also, it is normal if you have multiple partitions for OS X to "notice" (via spotlight, I believe) that there are applications not installed to /Applications. It is just like having any .app in ~/Downloads, for example. Those items as well as .app bundles that are on any partition are offered up in spotlight search and in Open->With.

Okay, I understand. So it's more like a feature of OS X. If I want I can install applications on different partitions and OS X will recognize them automatically. Cool!

May I proceed?

"THE NEXT STEP REQUIRES AN EXISTING MAC, to install the custom bootloader on the USB device. Get the USB Installer, insert it into the other Mac or Hackintosh and install http://blog.stuffedc....1svn-r2012.pkg, a bootloader by stuffedcow for HD 4000 users."

We installed this on the USB Stick and booted from it into the partition with new installation. The bootloader I had before when booting from HDD looked different.

I don't know anything abut that bootloader. And your DSDT should take care of your HD4K injection, so you don't need to bootloader to do anything for you there. You should be able to use Chimera or Chameleon with GraphicsEnabler=No.

I experienced this before when I had a backup partition and tried to boot from it. It loaded some things from my first partition. But now I booted from USB, so nothing loaded from other partition (for example touchpad, audio kexts).. It was confusing because I didn't know OS X 'noticed' applications on different partition. Windows for example doesn't do this.

May I proceed?

I'm still not sure what you have installed via Multibeast at this point or if you have installed a bootloader to your HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back