Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti 1GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, I am building my first Hackintosh, (mostly according to the Customac Budget ATX) with the recommended Motherboard and cpu(i5) However, I am concerned about purchasing incompatible fans. So, does anyone know what fans are compatible with the Gigabyte Intel Z77 GA-Z77-DS3H Motherboard. If it helps my PSU is an "Antec ea-650 green" and my case is the Enermax Ostrog eca-35253bw with support for 7 120mm fans

Molex offer virtually no speed control, some fan controllers can vary the voltage - but avoid these.
3 pin offer RPM control from your motherboard/fan controller - these are what you should look for.
4 pin offer RPM control and give feedback readings, tachometer to tell your motherboard how fast it is spinning (normally used for CPU)

Hi, I am building my first Hackintosh, (mostly according to the Customac Budget ATX) with the recommended Motherboard and cpu(i5) However, I am concerned about purchasing incompatible fans. So, does anyone know what fans are compatible with the Gigabyte Intel Z77 GA-Z77-DS3H Motherboard. If it helps my PSU is an "Antec ea-650 green" and my case is the Enermax Ostrog eca-35253bw with support for 7 120mm fans

The rev 1.0 version of the GA-Z77-DS3H board has a 4-pin PWM CPU fan connector for CPU fan. Right next to it is a second 4-pin PWM fan connector. Beside the 24-pin board power connector is another 4-pin PWM fan connector and a third is located at the bottom of the board with the USB header connectors.

So, you can use 3 4-pin PWM BIOS controlled fans in addition to your CPU fan.
You probably also will have a couple of 4-pin Molex to 3-pin fan connectors supplied with your power supply.
Exactly how many fans you need will depend on what your heat load is. How hot is your gfx card(s), how many hard drives do you have.
General rue of thumb I go by is you need 1 more intake fan than you have discharge fans to keep a positive pressure in the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back