I am encountering this error in my log now when I try to boot:

39:210 00:051 AAPL: #[EB.RH.LRH|P!] Err(0xE) <- EB.LD.LF
39:261 00:050 AAPL: #[EB.BST.FBS|!] Err(0xE) <- EB.RH.LRH
39:312 00:051 OCSMC: SmcReadValue Key 4D535463 Size 1
39:363 00:050 OCSMC: SmcReadValue Key 4D534163 Size 2
39:415 00:051 AAPL: #[EB|LOG:DT] 2022-10-02T07:39:53
39:466 00:051 AAPL: #[EB|LOG:EXITBS:START] 2022-10-02T07:39:53

+ newest .plist file attached

+ image of the verbose error where I am getting stuck.

Thank you!!

Okay @agroverr,

I've created a handful of builds with Z490 before so I guess I could try to help and give you some pointers.

I have had a look at your build in a fair a bit of detail the past hour, and I will say that unfortunately, aside from the corrections made by OCValidate, there are still many errors, namely:

1) You're using iMac20,2. As you have an AMD RX580 as dGPU, the ideal SMBIOS to use is iMacPro1,1 (because it has an AMD dGPU in the profile).

2) You've enabled SSDT-RHUB - this SSDT is not required for Gigabyte boards, only certain Asus Z490 ones.

3) The IGPU device properties is incorrect. You set it to C89B when it should be 9BC5000 because you are using an i9-10850K. C89B or 9BC8 is for Intel Comet Lake Core i5 10500K chips only.

4) You've not set the device properties for the AMD RX580 nor added an agdpmod argument for the RX card.

5) You have unneeded kexts such as VoodooPS2Controller.kext (which is for laptop use) and Legacy_USB3 which is actually USB3 kexts for older non-Skylake systems.

So while I was at it, I'd taken the liberty of using the above corrections and creating a new EFI for your board based upon my working Monterey Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Xtreme build with settings that I believe should work. In addition to updating it to the latest OC 0.8.4 I've also added a LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext which should work for your Realtek 2.5GBe based LAN. So give it a try.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    33.6 MB · Views: 59
Okay @agroverr,

I've created a handful of builds with Z490 before so I guess I could try to help and give you some pointers.

I have had a look at your build in a fair a bit of detail the past hour, and I will say that unfortunately, aside from the corrections made by OCValidate, there are still many errors, namely:

1) You're using iMac20,2. As you have an AMD RX580 as dGPU, the ideal SMBIOS to use is iMacPro1,1 (because it has an AMD dGPU in the profile).

2) You've enabled SSDT-RHUB - this SSDT is not required for Gigabyte boards, only certain Asus Z490 ones.

3) The IGPU device properties is incorrect. You set it to C89B when it should be 9BC5000 because you are using an i9-10850K. C89B or 9BC8 is for Intel Comet Lake Core i5 10500K chips only.

4) You've not set the device properties for the AMD RX580 nor added an agdpmod argument for the RX card.

5) You have unneeded kexts such as VoodooPS2Controller.kext (which is for laptop use) and Legacy_USB3 which is actually USB3 kexts for older non-Skylake systems.

So while I was at it, I'd taken the liberty of using the above corrections and creating a new EFI for your board based upon my working Monterey Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Xtreme build with settings that I believe should work. In addition to updating it to the latest OC 0.8.4 I've also added a LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext which should work for your Realtek 2.5GBe based LAN. So give it a try.
Omg you are a LIFESAVER thank you so much for your help!! Checking this out right now.

Okay @agroverr,

Copied the new EFI onto the drive. Upon boot I am showing a repeating loop of the same error onscreen verbose:

gui/o [100002] <warning>: failed lookup: name = com.apple.dock.fullscreen, requestor = recoveryosd[70] error = 3: No such process

there was no error log entry note created though.

I did flash BIOS with the latest version. Should I restore BIOS to default settings maybe?

Attachments

• ss2.jpeg
    ss2.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 110
Copied the new EFI onto the drive. Upon boot I am showing a repeating loop of the same error onscreen verbose:

gui/o [100002] <warning>: failed lookup: name = com.apple.dock.fullscreen, requestor = recoveryosd[70] error = 3: No such process

there was no error log entry note created though.

I did flash BIOS with the latest version. Should I restore BIOS to default settings maybe?
Okay, no need to worry. Try to run the ResetNVRAM tool first as it boots to the Opencore desktop because that will help clear the previous EFI file loading stack (which should clear your issues). Run that and then reboot into your new drive using the F12 key and see how that goes.

Okay. I'm not sure about that (if the newer BIOS updates would affect it) but we could try this. In addition to setting the BIOS to default settings make sure these are set to the following:

AHCI Mode
VT-d disabled
Above 4GB Decoding Enabled
CSM Disabled
TPM Disabled
Secure Boot disabled
UEFI Boot Mode

I should also mention I have disabled the Thunderbolt SSDTs in your EFI build (as I assume you don't have a TB3 card yet for your system). If and when you need TB to all you need to do is enable SSDT-DTPG.aml and SSDT-TB3HP.aml plus enable the Thunderbolt card in BIOS and it should work.

About the error, I think it is about your Recovery partition (it is missing). Maybe you have an incomplete macOS install?

It would perhaps be a good idea to put my EFI on your USB stick, and then try to run the Monterey installer again on the main drive.

Also thinking it could be GPU related. I would also check to make sure your Intel IGPU has been enabled in the BIOS (because we have the IGPU enabled in the config.plist). Make sure the Internal IGPU it is set to Auto, and that you've attached your monitor to the RX580's HDMI out.

About the error, I think it is about your Recovery partition (it is missing). Maybe you have an incomplete macOS install?

It would perhaps be a good idea to put my EFI on your USB stick, and then try to run the Monterey installer again on the main drive.

Also thinking it could be GPU related. I would also check to make sure your Intel IGPU has been enabled in the BIOS (because we have the IGPU enabled in the config.plist). Make sure the Internal IGPU it is set to Auto, and that you've attached your monitor to the RX580's HDMI out.
I restored default settings to BIOS, then updated as you suggested. I also went in and confirmed the setting for iGPU was auto.
I unplugged the video cable from the motherboard, and used the graphics card but only have a black screen - even after rebooting and trying both displayport and hdmi. So for now I switched back to using the motherboard hdmi port and I do have a signal there.

I ran the "ResetSystem" option as I was not seeing "ResetNVRAM" option in the landing screen after booting. After reloading I chose the option for "Intstall Mac monterey"

Upon loading, the same error is occurring.

Yes, I have had some attempts at installing mac monterey previously during this current period of weeks with this new machine. The drive was reformatted a while ago, but many attempts to install the OS have been made.

Just to clarify - I am working from a laptop that has no issues, managing the usb stick there, then plugging the usb stick into the desktop computer.

I am just selecting the option for "install mac monterey", and there is only one active drive as an install destination. What did you mean by main drive?

I restored default settings to BIOS, then updated as you suggested. I also went in and confirmed the setting for iGPU was auto.
I unplugged the video cable from the motherboard, and used the graphics card but only have a black screen - even after rebooting and trying both displayport and hdmi. So for now I switched back to using the motherboard hdmi port and I do have a signal there.

I ran the "ResetSystem" option as I was not seeing "ResetNVRAM" option in the landing screen after booting. After reloading I chose the option for "Intstall Mac monterey"

Upon loading, the same error is occurring.

Yes, I have had some attempts at installing mac monterey previously during this current period of weeks with this new machine. The drive was reformatted a while ago, but many attempts to install the OS have been made.

Just to clarify - I am working from a laptop that has no issues, managing the usb stick there, then plugging the usb stick into the desktop computer.

I am just selecting the option for "install mac monterey", and there is only one active drive as an install destination. What did you mean by main drive?
Okay. If you’ve done all that I’ve mentioned and it still reboots then it’s time to do something different. Try to remove the AMD GPU and reboot using just the Intel IGPU and see if it boots, not forgetting to remove the device properties for it under Devices and the agdpmod=ignore boot-arg.

As to your AMD HDMI GPU display issue - I am thinking it is possible it is a) not working or b) maybe not compatible with macOS (if it is Lexa core based). Have you tried to install Windows on this system? If so what does GPU-Z show for the GPU?

Back