Contribute
Register

Mojave with Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried with both, but no change to previously - actually with the iMac9,1 definition I couldn't even boot, I got "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform!" when booting in verbose.
Of course iMac9,1 isn't supported for Mojave. I suggested using iMac9,1 SMBIOS because it was the closest matching your CPU. As I said before you shouldn't pick SMBIOS based off what version of macOS you are wanting to install.

Of course iMac9,1 isn't supported for Mojave. I suggested using iMac9,1 SMBIOS because it was the closest matching your CPU. As I said before you shouldn't pick SMBIOS based off what version of macOS you are wanting to install.

No, I was trying to boot High Sierra still.

I've got a running High Sierra install that works perfectly with the GTX 260. My issue is that I cannot get it to boot normally with the RX 580 installed, everything I try leaves me with a black screen (although, if I remote desktop in, I can see the card is recognised by the OS and appears to recognise the monitors, I just get no output on the screens, they stay black).

No, I was trying to boot High Sierra still.
I've got a running High Sierra install that works perfectly with the GTX 260. My issue is that I cannot get it to boot normally with the RX 580 installed, everything I try leaves me with a black screen (although, if I remote desktop in, I can see the card is recognised by the OS and appears to recognise the monitors, I just get no output on the screens, they stay black).
High Sierra also isn't supported for iMac9,1 because it's a Mid-2009 product. High Sierra requires Late-2009 or later product line. I understand the issue you are having, but not understanding why you are having this issue. Have you tried adding CsmVideoDxe-64.efi to your drivers64 folder? The only thing I can think of the reason why you are having issues with the RX 580 is because the GPU isn't getting initialized until macOS loads and since your system doesn't support GOP (UEFI for GPUs) its not initializing it correctly. What kind of monitors are using and what port on the GPU are you trying to use with what type of cable connection?

High Sierra also isn't supported for iMac9,1 because it's a Mid-2009 product. High Sierra requires Late-2009 or later product line. I understand the issue you are having, but not understanding why you are having this issue.

Thanks, your help is very much appreciated :)

Have you tried adding CsmVideoDxe-64.efi to your drivers64 folder? The only thing I can think of the reason why you are having issues with the RX 580 is because the GPU isn't getting initialized until macOS loads and since your system doesn't support GOP (UEFI for GPUs) its not initializing it correctly. What kind of monitors are using and what port on the GPU are you trying to use with what type of cable connection?

That seems logical, yeah. I get output from Clover but it's generally on the same screens as the BIOS output, so I *think* it's the BIOS controlling the output at that point, not the graphics card.

It does seem like the graphics card gets initialised as part of the *OS* boot sequence (as you suggest) and it's that point when the screen flashes and it goes black.

The card I have has a non-reference port layout of 2 x HDMI, 2 x DisplayPort and 1 x DVI ports. I have three monitors plugged in:
HDMI -> HDMI Monitor
DVI -> DVI Monitor
DisplayPort -> VGA Monitor via DP -> VGA Adapter.

All threee monitors seem to work at various times, the HDMI and DisplayPort monitors are working during all phases of boot, the DVI monitor will only ever work once MacOS has taken over (but of course, remains black).

All three monitors work perfectly under Windows 10, so I don't believe I have any cabling issues etc.

I've also tried with *only* the HDMI monitor and *only* the DisplayPort->VGA connected, but with the same results - black screen once the OS loads.

I think your explanation of the GOP not being initialised correctly sounds logical and is consistent with the behaviour I'm seeing, I'll try adding CsmVideoDxe-64.efi to my drivers64 folder this evening and give it a go - great suggestion, I'd not seen anything about this driver anywhere when researching, but it looks like a potential solution!

Thanks again - I owe you a $drinkOfYourChoice or two!

Thanks, your help is very much appreciated :)

That seems logical, yeah. I get output from Clover but it's generally on the same screens as the BIOS output, so I *think* it's the BIOS controlling the output at that point, not the graphics card.

It does seem like the graphics card gets initialised as part of the *OS* boot sequence (as you suggest) and it's that point when the screen flashes and it goes black.

The card I have has a non-reference port layout of 2 x HDMI, 2 x DisplayPort and 1 x DVI ports. I have three monitors plugged in:
HDMI -> HDMI Monitor
DVI -> DVI Monitor
DisplayPort -> VGA Monitor via DP -> VGA Adapter.

All threee monitors seem to work at various times, the HDMI and DisplayPort monitors are working during all phases of boot, the DVI monitor will only ever work once MacOS has taken over (but of course, remains black).

All three monitors work perfectly under Windows 10, so I don't believe I have any cabling issues etc.

I've also tried with *only* the HDMI monitor and *only* the DisplayPort->VGA connected, but with the same results - black screen once the OS loads.

I think your explanation of the GOP not being initialised correctly sounds logical and is consistent with the behaviour I'm seeing, I'll try adding CsmVideoDxe-64.efi to my drivers64 folder this evening and give it a go - great suggestion, I'd not seen anything about this driver anywhere when researching, but it looks like a potential solution!

Thanks again - I owe you a $drinkOfYourChoice or two!
You would probably be better off going from DP->DVI and DVI->VGA because DP is strictly digital signal, where as DVI handles both digital and analog signals. DP->DVI would handle the digital side and DVI->VGA would handle the analog side.

No joy, exactly the same behaviour :(

Same thing as before in that the machine boots successfully and I was able to ssh into it and shut it down remotely, but no output on the screen. Have tried with each of the screens plugged in and have also unplugged/re-plugged to see if it'd recognise them, but no.

You would probably be better off going from DP->DVI and DVI->VGA because DP is strictly digital signal, where as DVI handles both digital and analog signals. DP->DVI would handle the digital side and DVI->VGA would handle the analog side.

Probably would, but those are the adapters I happened to have and there doesn't seem much point buying more if I can't get anything to work - even plugging a HDMI monitor into a HDMI port doesn't work at this point, so spending more money on adapters on the off chance they're going to work seems like a waste of time for now :)

Probably would, but those are the adapters I happened to have and there doesn't seem much point buying more if I can't get anything to work - even plugging a HDMI monitor into a HDMI port doesn't work at this point, so spending more money on adapters on the off chance they're going to work seems like a waste of time for now :)

To close off this thread, I think I've got to the realisation that I'm not going to be able to get the RX 580 running with my Q9400, I finally came across this thread whilst trying to research more on installing Mojave;
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/rx580-on-a-mac-pro-3-1-mojave-solved.264992/

As per the comments there and more info here;
macOS Mojave Patcher said:
Early-2008 Mac Pro (MacPro3,1) GPU support: When running Mojave, you CANNOT use a newer AMD video card EVEN IF it is a Metal-comptible card and is supported in Mojave. The newer AMD drivers used in Mojave require the SSE4.2 instruction set, which the MacPro3,1 does not support. There is no way around this at this time. Your only GPU upgrade options for MacPro3,1 systems are nVidia cards, which work perfectly fine.

So it looks like my issue is the CPU's lack of SSE4.2 support, which means it's probably time to think about building a new Hackintosh (or buy a Mac Mini). :(

Hey everyone, hoping someone can help me here. I have a Gigabyte H370 MB with Rad 8GB Sapphire Pulse 580x Graphic card, Corsair Air 32MB Ram iCore 9 9900 Chip. It's working but I think there is something wrong with my graphics card or missing kext file? Under system info it show the Graphic Card but when I run a Video Program it won't show up or identify the card? Also find with FCP it stutters a bit. Any suggestions or HELP much appreciated.
Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 5.54.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 5.26.46 PM.png

To close off this thread, I think I've got to the realisation that I'm not going to be able to get the RX 580 running with my Q9400, I finally came across this thread whilst trying to research more on installing Mojave;
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/rx580-on-a-mac-pro-3-1-mojave-solved.264992/

As per the comments there and more info here;

So it looks like my issue is the CPU's lack of SSE4.2 support, which means it's probably time to think about building a new Hackintosh (or buy a Mac Mini). :(
Did you manage to get it working? I have a Sapphire RX580 with the exact same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back