3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Up dated to Mojave using Intel graphics on MB. Trouble-free upgrade and first time sound has worked since early High Sierra (used Multibeast 10.4.0 ).
Finally ditched Nvidia. Made sure Nvidia Web Drivers were not enabled in config.plist. Installed RX580 Pulse and it just worked. Changed absolutely nothing.

Lucky you, I'm having no luck :(

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR, Q9400, RX 580. I boot to a black screen unless in safe mode. Remote desktop'ing into the machine shows it's up and appears to think there's screens connected correctly, but I get no output to the screens.

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR, Q9400, RX 580. I boot to a black screen unless in safe mode. Remote desktop'ing into the machine shows it's up and appears to think there's screens connected correctly, but I get no output to the screens.

Have you tried lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext in .../Clover/kexts/other/ folder?

Have you tried lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext in .../Clover/kexts/other/ folder?

I found that when using Displayport I required lilu.kext and what evergreen.text to avoid black screens on boot with the RX 580...
This is using 18,3 and Mojave...

Well... The problem I've been having is that I can't get into the box to install those kexts. When I try to boot from the latest Unibeast, I don't get past Clover. It either hangs on "Updating DMI Pool Data" or I get a single underscore character in the top left, but no further. I suspect this is when Clover is attempting to enumerate the device list - it's likely because I'm on a very old mobo and it's relying on support for the USB via the BIOS, I suspect the latest clover builds in Unibeast are no longer supporting this.

At least that's my hunch.

I then tried to build a USB boot disk using the latest Mojave Unibeast, then running the older Multibeast onto it and installing Evergreen and lilu.kext. That also didn't work, yet, though I think it should.

My next attempt is to take a copy of my working /EFI from the boot drive and try and inject Evergreen and Lilu into it, which is a bit risky (I'd been avoiding this) as I don't want to mess with my only working Clover installation unless I absolutely have to.

My other option is to bin off the idea of going to the RX 580 and stick with my old/working Nvidia card and build an entire new Hackintosh :(

I'm kind of not willing to let this one die just yet as it works beautifully, I only really wanted to upgrade the graphics card so I could move to Mojave and have a little speed bump when gaming under Windoze :\

Do those kexts only have to be in EFI/Clover/kexts/other/ or do they also need to be placed in S/L/E ?

I'm getting mixed messages when I look around. The handoff from Clover to the System disk seems to work, it's a black screen only when the System on disk is in control, so perhaps my missing piece of the puzzle is to also install them in System/Library/Extensions too.

That'll mean pulling the drive, but then, pulling the drive is easier/better than pulling my hair out :)

All non-Apple kexts that I need to make my Hack work go here:

EFI/Clover/kexts/other/

Nice and convenient. Works fine, also on my Mojave test SSD, which I just upgraded yesterday to 10.14.1.

I vaguely remember Rehabman said there's a benefit to having kexts in S/L/E, some extra error checking done by the OS?

Non-Apple kext such as Lilu + WhateverGreen should go into L/E not S/L/E if you are going to install them into the System drive.

Do those kexts only have to be in EFI/Clover/kexts/other/ or do they also need to be placed in S/L/E ?

I'm getting mixed messages when I look around. The handoff from Clover to the System disk seems to work, it's a black screen only when the System on disk is in control, so perhaps my missing piece of the puzzle is to also install them in System/Library/Extensions too.

That'll mean pulling the drive, but then, pulling the drive is easier/better than pulling my hair out :)

Is your system a Legacy boot only setup? Have you tried clover legacy builds? If it can’t do UEFI mode booting the RX vbios may not work as well. I think it’s a UEFI vbios?

Is your system a Legacy boot only setup? Have you tried clover legacy builds? If it can’t do UEFI mode booting the RX vbios may not work as well. I think it’s a UEFI vbios?

It's a Legacy boot only setup, yes, the EP45T-UD3LR is pretty ancient, it's a P45 + ICH10R Chipset.

I believe I'm using a Clover legacy build - in that, I'm asking Unibeast to create me a Legacy mode boot disk, which is the same thing, right?

Right now, I swapped back to my old GTX260 as I'm having no luck, despite trying all sorts of configurations. The best I can get is booted into a desktop, but with a black screen.

The thing I find really odd is still that remote desktop'ing into the box shows it recognises the card and all *three* attached screens (I've tried it with anything from 1 upwards with the same result).

Also, when I leave the machine with a black screen, it actually sleeps the attached monitors, hitting return wakes up the connected screens - but they stay black.

It's like the OS knows the screens are attached but just won't use them :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back