Contribute
Register

miramar's Zomac - Zotac Z77ITX - i5 3570K - HD4000 - Mini-ITX - Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I'm seriously considering this board for my new build now (I had been waiting for the Gigabyte ITX boards, but there doesn't seem to be much, if any advantage to them).
Can an Ivy Bridge i7 of i5 'k' (unlocked) processor be overclocked in conjunction with this board and Mountain Lion? Would this cause compatibility issues with DSDT/SSDT files?
If you use the Mac Mini system definition do you get 'audio popping' from the stereo (green) audio jack?
I'm surprised you need a DSDT edit for HD 4000, still you live and learn! Can you use 512MB shared with the HD 4000 (or more)?
Is there anything you haven't mentioned to look out for at all?
Thanks!
Agreed, from the the prelim specs of the GA-Z77N, it doesn't look that great hardware wise unless it's priced cheaper.

Overclocking is possible. I don't overclock so I don't know how well the Zotac is in that respect but as you can see from my BIOS screenshot, it's got options for adjusting CPU vCore. Shouldn't cause any probs with DSDT.

So far no 'audio popping' issues with the green jack on the Zomac. I'm using the "Macmini" definition from Multibeast. I used to have a lot of popping problems with my GA-H61N build until I changed it to "Mac Pro".

The DSDT edit is for HD4000 HDMI audio. You won't need a DSDT edit to enable just HD4000 graphics as Chimera seems to do the injection just fine. Just ensure that you set your pre-allocated IGFX ram to 32mb. I think OSX automatically uses 512mb, seems to ignore the setting in the BIOS.

I don't think I missed anything critical but if I come across anything new, I will update my build's post.

I decided to try a build with the ASRock H77M and an i5-3570K, using the HD 4000 graphics (this post is using the H77M). But it will only allow 1024 x 768 resolution in System Preferences -> Displays (Display side, under the Scaled radio button). Does your Zotac build show higher resolutions available there?

@miramar

Thanks for your info. I think I just made my decision. Just wait for the new i3 (don't need the power of the new i5/i7)
Thanks again

Huberer
You're welcome. The new i3 3225 looks good. I just called my local shop today. It's already in their price list for MYR470 or USD175. I will be dropping by tomorrow to see if they actually have stocks. It should run a lot cooler too with a TDP of 55w.

I decided to try a build with the ASRock H77M and an i5-3570K, using the HD 4000 graphics (this post is using the H77M). But it will only allow 1024 x 768 resolution in System Preferences -> Displays (Display side, under the Scaled radio button). Does your Zotac build show higher resolutions available there?

Yes, it does. I had to set my IGFX memory pre-allocation in the BIOS to 32mb in order to get the HD4000 detected correctly.

Click for large view
- Uploaded with Skitch

Click for large view
- Uploaded with Skitch

@miramar

Thanks for your info. I think I just made my decision. Just wait for the new i3 (don't need the power of the new i5/i7)
Thanks again

Huberer

Is this what you're waiting for?

Price is MYR469 or about USD150. Other SKUs are not available yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I'm but unfortunately I'm not living in Malaysia. Here in Austria we still have to wait :( Maybe next week....

Yes I'm but unfortunately I'm not living in Malaysia. Here in Austria we still have to wait :( Maybe next week....
I'm sure it'll be available next week. Shops here tell me that they're are just waiting for Intel's release to put it onto their shelves. Apparently the stocks came in last week. I only inquired about it on Monday and saw it in person on Tuesday this week.

Hi Miramar !!!

i think i will copy your customac :angel:

btw , why you want to change the i5 3570k ?

i will use this configuration as my office desktop for all-around use , with 8 GB DDR3 CL8 Vegeance.

i will put everything in a Lian Li PC-Q11 Case Silver finished with AOC 23" IPS i2353 same look... i think gonna look SPECTACULAR.

2 x SSD 120gb , 1 for ML 1 for Win7/8

regards from italy!
Carlo

Hi Miramar !!!

i think i will copy your customac :angel:

btw , why you want to change the i5 3570k ?

i will use this configuration as my office desktop for all-around use , with 8 GB DDR3 CL8 Vegeance.

i will put everything in a Lian Li PC-Q11 Case Silver finished with AOC 23" IPS i2353 same look... i think gonna look SPECTACULAR.

2 x SSD 120gb , 1 for ML 1 for Win7/8

regards from italy!
Carlo

Keep us updated on how it goes. I just put in an i7 3770k in my build. No real reason. Just for the heck of it. The i5 3570K is plenty fast. I suppose it'll show its speed when I do some video encoding.

Ciao!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back