Contribute
Register

miramar's Zomac - Zotac Z77ITX - i5 3570K - HD4000 - Mini-ITX - Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I replaced the i5 i3570K with an i7 3770K and replaced the existing 8GB of RAM with 2 x Kingston 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 for a total of 16GB.

The process was fairly uneventful but tedious. As with most mini-ITX builds, I had to unplugged all the cables and remove the entire motherboard out of the case, swap the CPU and RAM and put everything back together again. Turning the system on, it booted straight into Mountain Lion. The only glitch that I encountered was that the CPU was running at 3.4GHz, the speed of the 3570K, when it should be 3.5GHz. I noticed in the BIOS that the multiplier was stuck at 34. I did a "Load Optimised Defaults" and it went back to 35.

The differences of the 3570K and the 3770K is well documented so I won't go into that but here're some interesting tidbits.
  • The 3770K heatsink has a copper core.
  • Its fan is made by Nidec, the one on my 3570K is made by Foxconn.
  • The fan has a higher amperage rating i.e.: it can spin faster and noisier.
  • My 3770K was made in Costa Rica.
  • Its fan when spinning at around 900rpm has a soft helicopter-like "whoop whoop whoop" sound. Dunno it it's a defect or if they're all like that.
  • As reported by MSRDumper, pStates are the same as the 3570K except the last one.
  • PStatesReached: 16 22 25 33 34 37

Mirarmar ... gone for the i5 3570k

found it used for €150 :thumbup: (just 14 days used, same as new).

now, the motherboard... Zotac Z77 ITX new for €135 or ASrock H77 new for €88

:crazy:

I saw ebuyer selling H77ITX-B-E for €84.49, probably a good choice.

I cannot find it in USA though.

That's a good deal for the 3570K. I'm still trying to find a H77 board here. Planning to pair it with the 3225 for a budget build.

Just a quick note to say that the AR3001 bluetooth part of the Azurewave combo card that ships with the Zotac Z77ITX works in OS X natively but - and it's a big but - you need to boot into Windows first and then restart into OS X and, voila, Bluetooth is active. It's not very useful but it works. Presumably booting into Windows allows the Windows drivers to upload the bluetooth firmware into the AR3001 which remains in the event of a restart. I believe the HP Probook installer for OSX86 does something similar for OS X.

Just a quick note to say that the AR3001 bluetooth part of the Azurewave combo card that ships with the Zotac Z77ITX works in OS X natively but - and it's a big but - you need to boot into Windows first and then restart into OS X and, voila, Bluetooth is active. It's not very useful but it works. Presumably booting into Windows allows the Windows drivers to upload the bluetooth firmware into the AR3001 which remains in the event of a restart. I believe the HP Probook installer for OSX86 does something similar for OS X.

It sounds like someone who knows what they're doing might be able to patch the firmware then. It's just a case of knowing exactly what's happening in the circumstances the card works at the moment...

This could end up with the Zotac board edging its way on to the official CustoMac list if it can be easily sorted out. Of course, the fact that not everyone gets the same combo card with this board could cause trouble.

That's a good deal for the 3570K. I'm still trying to find a H77 board here. Planning to pair it with the 3225 for a budget build.

i will go with the ASrock H77M-ITX , same MB as CBorg's build.

Hi there bro,

Did you get the Dlink bluetooth dongle from shop at Lowyat? I'm interesting to get one but too bad it is really hard to find because shops normally doesn't include bluetooth dongle in their pricelist.

thank you.

It sounds like someone who knows what they're doing might be able to patch the firmware then. It's just a case of knowing exactly what's happening in the circumstances the card works at the moment...

This could end up with the Zotac board edging its way on to the official CustoMac list if it can be easily sorted out. Of course, the fact that not everyone gets the same combo card with this board could cause trouble.

There's a "ath3k-firmware-uploader" which is used in the HP ProBook Installer. Basically it takes care of uploading the firmware when OS X boots up. I haven't had time to try it out yet. I plan to extract the bluetooth firmware from my Windows install. This firmware should work as OS X seems to recognise it, after restarting from Windows 7, with no further effort from me.

There's a "ath3k-firmware-uploader" which is used in the HP ProBook Installer. Basically it takes care of uploading the firmware when OS X boots up. I haven't had time to try it out yet. I plan to extract the bluetooth firmware from my Windows install. This firmware should work as OS X seems to recognise it, after restarting from Windows 7, with no further effort from me.

Exciting stuff! I'll be starting my build later this month :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back