Contribute
Register

Minimum nVidia graphics required to run MacOS Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GT 750 has native support, the GTX 750Ti is Maxwell and requires additional Nvidia drivers.
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750-ti

You keep getting the two mixed up! ;)

Yes you are correct, the GTX 750 is the last (from my knowledge) of the Kepler GPU's. The GTX 750 TI was one of the first tests that Nvidia did with the "new" Maxwell GPU chips.

So for a reference to anyone who reads this. If you would like to use the latest macOS Mojave with full GPU support. Go with the GTX 750 and bellow or simply use your intel iGPU if applicable and wait for the drivers to be released then go crazy with all your Maxwell, Pascal and Turing architecture cards.

Curious/\/\ac

Yes you are correct, the GTX 750 is the last (from my knowledge) of the Kepler GPU's. The GTX 750 TI was one of the first tests that Nvidia did with the "new" Maxwell GPU chips.

So for a reference to anyone who reads this. If you would like to use the latest macOS Mojave with full GPU support. Go with the GTX 750 and bellow or simply use your intel iGPU if applicable and wait for the drivers to be released then go crazy with all your Maxwell, Pascal and Turing architecture cards.

Curious/\/\ac

No, the GTX 750 is based on Maxwell as well, and requires Nvidia web drivers to work fully in MacOS.

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750

The GTX 760 and 770, on the other hand, are based on Kepler and has native support.

What's the minimum GPU for 4k@60Hz?

hi, I bought a gt 710 2gb card but when I installed it, its is freezing when i see the desktop. In fact using the smbios 14,1 it doesn't have full acceleration since it shows nvdia gt 710 8mb while using smbios 18,2 it solves this problem but it is freezing immediately when I see the icons.

I can confirm that Mojave installs fine with GT 710 (see updates below regarding card issues)

Last night I replaced my original ATI Radeon HD 5770 with this bargain MSI GeForce GT 710 I bought from Amazon, and I can confirm that:
- It fits perfectly in my Mac Pro
- It works
- The App Store allows installing Mojave
- The Mojave installation is successful

One caveat is that for some reason, after installing Mojave, before it got to complete the boot, the screen just went black. I waited for 30 minutes, then shut down the computer by simply pressing the power button briefly. When turning the computer back on, the Apple sound did play, but the same behaviour persisted - black screen, and a brief press on the power button powers off the computer. I tried many things, including:
  • SMC reset (both the standard way of removing the power cable, and the alternative of pressing the button on the motherboard)
  • PRAM reset (not sure if the keyboard key combination does anything when performed on an external keyboard though)
  • Connecting the screen with HDMI instead of DVI (even though the graphics card initially worked fine with DVI when I first installed it, prior to installing Mojave)
  • Closing the Mac's case's lid
Eventually I tried going to Recovery (Cmd+R during startup), and to my surprise, the screen suddenly turned on, and I was presented with the Recovery options. I clicked on "Reinstall macOS", and annoyingly got a message saying I need to have a graphics card that supports the Metal API, and to have File Vault switched off.

Desperate, I tried the other options. I went to the Disk Utility. I somehow got to a menu that allows choosing which drive to boot from. I only had one option, my main drive, so I chose that. To my absolute shock, the Mac suddenly booted fine, and I was greeted with the lovely new Mojave :)

P.S. Tip for when installing the new graphics card: if the right edge doesn't go all the way into the motherboard, it's probably because the graphics card's metal leg has not gone into the Mac's case's metal hole, so just help it in.

Update

My GT 710 seems to have issues with two of its three ports: the HDMI has colour issues, and the VGA doesn't work at all. The DVI is the only port that works well. I am going to request a replacement from Amazon, and will update if it was just a faulty card, or if there is an issue with the model itself.

Update 2

Amazon sent me another GT 710 (brand new again), and unfortunately it has the exact same issues. So I can no longer recommend this card (unless you only care about the DVI port).

Radeon HD 5770 removed.jpg MSI GeForce GT 710 - 1.jpg MSI GeForce GT 710 - 2.jpg MSI GeForce GT 710 - 3.jpg MSI GeForce GT 710 - 4.jpg MSI GeForce GT 710 - installed.jpg Mojave installation - 1.jpg Mojave installation - 2.jpg Desktop.png About This Mac.png System Report - Graphics.png

Last edited:
any help why it's freezing. I can't understand what it is happening. using the Intel graphics even though, I couldn't have full acceleration, I could use it without freezing.

Attachments

• 20181208_144106.jpg
    20181208_144106.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 95
  • 20181208_144057.jpg
    20181208_144057.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 89
any help why it's freezing. I can't understand what it is happening. using the Intel graphics even though, I couldn't have full acceleration, I could use it without freezing.

Hi Ilias, so the graphics card never worked? Maybe it's simply faulty. Did you buy a new one or a used one? Did you try installing the graphics card in a different machine?

thanks for the reply. Using the windows I don't have any problem.This implies that there's not problem with the graphic card. it's Asus and I bought through the eBay . I am thinking whether the problem is that I have also attached the PCI card for the wifi. fvt919
until now I have managed to use it only for only 40 seconds using the gt710.
I have i9990 CPU and I don't know if this provoke any conflict .

I managed to run it for some minutes with full acceleration but again it is freezing. I cant understand what this is happening.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply. Using the windows I don't have any problem.This implies that there's not problem with the graphic card. it's Asus and I bought through the eBay . I am thinking whether the problem is that I have also attached the PCI card for the wifi. fvt919
until now I have managed to use it only for only 40 seconds using the gt710.
I have i9990 CPU and I don't know if this provoke any conflict .

Then I'm not sure, sorry Ilias.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back