Contribute
Register

Minihack’s Build: Haswell i5-4250U NUC BOXD54250WYKH1 - 8GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol

Well I got a good range going up to 2.6Ghz which is exactly where it should be. Im sure had I left it longer I would have gotten the majority of possible values.

:)

Must count one day. But isn't 2.6 only available if you use 1 core?? Thought that was how the NUC was set up and with 2.3 being available if you use them all.

:)

Must count one day. But isn't 2.6 only available if you use 1 core?? Thought that was how the NUC was set up and with 2.3 being available if you use them all.

Correct, yep. If you leave it long enough, 2.6 does eventually pop up in there though. 2.3 is the maximum for all cores, 2.6 is the maximum for one, so depending on what the system is doing, 2.6 does show, just not often.

As per my current guide, the values i got when doing a short test were 8, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 22, 23, 26.

Had I left it longer Im sure the inbetween values would have showed up too.

Correct, yep. If you leave it long enough, 2.6 does eventually pop up in there though. 2.3 is the maximum for all cores, 2.6 is the maximum for one, so depending on what the system is doing, 2.6 does show, just not often.

As per my current guide, the values i got when doing a short test were 8, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 22, 23, 26.

Had I left it longer Im sure the inbetween values would have showed up too.

Jul 18 21:54:33 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 14 15 16 18 19 23 26 ]

From a couple of minutes.....

and then a few more

Jul 18 21:53:42 localhost kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 13 23 ]
Jul 18 21:53:42 localhost kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 23 ]
Jul 18 21:53:49 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 19 23 ]
Jul 18 21:53:58 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 15 19 23 ]
Jul 18 21:54:05 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 15 18 19 23 ]
Jul 18 21:54:08 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 15 16 18 19 23 ]
Jul 18 21:54:26 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 14 15 16 18 19 23 ]
Jul 18 21:54:33 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 14 15 16 18 19 23 26 ]
Jul 18 22:02:37 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 14 15 16 18 19 21 23 26 ]
Jul 18 22:05:31 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 21 23 26 ]
Jul 18 22:09:30 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 21 22 23 26 ]
Jul 18 22:11:49 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 26 ]

From a couple of minutes.....

and then a few more

Jul 18 21:53:42 localhost kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 13 23 ]
Jul 18 21:53:42 localhost kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 23 ]
Jul 18 21:53:49 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 19 23 ]
Jul 18 21:53:58 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 15 19 23 ]
Jul 18 21:54:05 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 15 18 19 23 ]
Jul 18 21:54:08 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 15 16 18 19 23 ]
Jul 18 21:54:26 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 14 15 16 18 19 23 ]
Jul 18 22:02:37 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 14 15 16 18 19 21 23 26 ]
Jul 18 22:05:31 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 21 23 26 ]
Jul 18 22:09:30 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 21 22 23 26 ]
Jul 18 22:11:49 Daves-Mac-Mini-2 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 26 ]

They look spot on there!

:thumbup:

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I was in the market to replace my current PC that is hooked up to my TV. The Mac Mini looked great, and I like OSX - I use a Haswell Retina for work. But when I saw that the current Mac Minis were old I decided to save some money and go the hackintosh route. Luckily I had some experience as this would be my second hackintosh - but man things have changed a LOT!

Thanks to your guide I was able to get this NUC up and booting with Clover on EFI. After the install I disabled Legacy Boot in the BIOS and it works great. I changed the SMBIOS back to MBA as you guys are right - I just wasn't sure if the SMBIOS edits actually effect what drivers the machine loads, or if it was just like a system identifier under the "About This Mac".

BTW - Is there a way to remove the 'eject' icon in the status bar?

Sorry 1 more - I just connected to the internet and I have an update for 'MBA SMC Firmware Update'. Since I loaded the FakeSMC.kext file, what is the proper way of doing this update?

Just to follow up for anyone else having the same audio issues that I did, everything was done correctly, so it appears it was the mini HDMI adapter cable I was using that was the issue. I didn't have another to work with, so I used a mini displayport to HDMI connector and that is transmitting audio perfectly.

The only thing that wasn't working for me using this guide was ethernet. I solved that with an Apple USB to ethernet connector I had lying around. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

Seems I have everything up and running now. Thanks again for the guide.

Just to follow up for anyone else having the same audio issues that I did, everything was done correctly, so it appears it was the mini HDMI adapter cable I was using that was the issue. I didn't have another to work with, so I used a mini displayport to HDMI connector and that is transmitting audio perfectly.

The only thing that wasn't working for me using this guide was ethernet. I solved that with an Apple USB to ethernet connector I had lying around. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

Seems I have everything up and running now. Thanks again for the guide.

Are you loading the appleEthernet kext? Mine is working no problem. I havent tried my USB to ethernet / Thunderbolt to ethernet yet though.

Is there something special I am supposed to do to get HDMI audio to work? In the guide it says it should work out of the box but there is definitely no audio for me.

Hi,
For HDMI audio do you have the original untouched AppleHDA.kext in system/library/extensions?
Have you changed anything in the config.plist that is in the install pack?
Do you have the SSDT files in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/PATCHED?
If the answer to these three questions is yes then this should be enough for HDMI Audio to work.
Are you on 10.9.4?
If in system preferences/Sound an HDMI source is present (e.g. mine says SONY TV) then the culprit is your HDMI cable. If it is not present then one of the above things is wrong.
With the new injection for audio (i.e. for the analogue audio) I have had some instances where injection fails and where it also disables HDMI - for no apparent reason, but for me it happened to me when I am booting from a USB connected drive testing out different versions of OS X. In such a situation then a patched AppleHDA.kext seems to solve the problem.
Let me know how you get on.
For Ethernet there is a kext that should be in EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/10.9 (if you dragged in the kexts folder from my "Haswell Essentials" pack as mentioned in the install procedure). Mount your EFI partition and make sure it is there. Also check in the System Report to see if the kext is loading. I do not use ethernet, but I did check to see if the wired adapter is available in Settings/Network and last time I checked it was there. I have no reason to think it is not working, but one thing you could try (if the kext does not show as loaded) is to install it into System/Library/Extensions using Kext Wizard.
For the SMC Firmware update you have to ignore it for the moment. Unlike Chameleon/Chimera installs where you can edit the FakeSMC.kext to fool Apple into thinking you have the latest firmware loaded Clover actually injects the firmware version directly from the boot loader so at some point a new Clover revision will address that. Unless you want to re-compile Clover yourself then just ignore this issue. And by the way, installing it does not do any harm (it just sits there in EFI/Apple) but it also does not register as having been installed. As a side note, it'd be really neat if the Clover developers could extend Clover to look inside that Apple folder and then inject the firmware version into the install…..but that is really up to people more talented than me to think about.
Removing Eject icon. If you are using an Apple keyboard then hold down the "command key" on an Apple keyboard and drag it off the menu bar.

By the way Geoldr are you using the same NUC as me? It is just you mentioned Thunderbolt which of course we do not have…..if you are not then HDMI audio will not work for you if you do not have ALC283 as your audio codec and if some other ID needs injection in the kext.

Hi,
For HDMI audio do you have the original untouched AppleHDA.kext in system/library/extensions?
Have you changed anything in the config.plist that is in the install pack?
Do you have the SSDT files in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/PATCHED?
If the answer to these three questions is yes then this should be enough for HDMI Audio to work.
Are you on 10.9.4?
If in system preferences/Sound an HDMI source is present (e.g. mine says SONY TV) then the culprit is your HDMI cable. If it is not present then one of the above things is wrong.
With the new injection for audio (i.e. for the analogue audio) I have had some instances where injection fails and where it also disables HDMI - for no apparent reason, but for me it happened to me when I am booting from a USB connected drive testing out different versions of OS X. In such a situation then a patched AppleHDA.kext seems to solve the problem.
Let me know how you get on.
For Ethernet there is a kext that should be in EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/10.9 (if you dragged in the kexts folder from my "Haswell Essentials" pack as mentioned in the install procedure). Mount your EFI partition and make sure it is there. Also check in the System Report to see if the kext is loading. I do not use ethernet, but I did check to see if the wired adapter is available in Settings/Network and last time I checked it was there. I have no reason to think it is not working, but one thing you could try (if the kext does not show as loaded) is to install it into System/Library/Extensions using Kext Wizard.
For the SMC Firmware update you have to ignore it for the moment. Unlike Chameleon/Chimera installs where you can edit the FakeSMC.kext to fool Apple into thinking you have the latest firmware loaded Clover actually injects the firmware version directly from the boot loader so at some point a new Clover revision will address that. Unless you want to re-compile Clover yourself then just ignore this issue. And by the way, installing it does not do any harm (it just sits there in EFI/Apple) but it also does not register as having been installed. As a side note, it'd be really neat if the Clover developers could extend Clover to look inside that Apple folder and then inject the firmware version into the install…..but that is really up to people more talented than me to think about.
Removing Eject icon. If you are using an Apple keyboard then hold down the "command key" on an Apple keyboard and drag it off the menu bar.

By the way Geoldr are you using the same NUC as me? It is just you mentioned Thunderbolt which of course we do not have…..if you are not then HDMI audio will not work for you if you do not have ALC283 as your audio codec and if some other ID needs injection in the kext.

I am using the same NUC as you. I meant to say display port not Thunderbolt :) Right now I am using a mini HDMI -> HDMI adapter. I am using exactly your config file for Clover and have added the 3 files to the ACPI folder. Yes I am on 10.9.4. I also tried using mini display port -> HDMI cable. Audio works great in Windows, but does not register on OSX. I will confirm the default AppleHDA kext, but I have a feeling it is there as I am using a vanilla installation that I downloaded from the App Store on my retina MacBook.

Ethernet works great for me.

As for the FakeSMC, OK! It's not a problem I will just leave it alone for now.

I left my apple keyboard at work so I will try your suggestion on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back