Contribute
Register

Minihack’s Build: Haswell i5-4250U NUC BOXD54250WYKH1 - 8GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a double check in the bios settings ? I found mine only worked when specifically enabled, 'Auto' was not enough.

I did not know that! Interesting....

Hi Minihack and others,

I've successfully used your guide to install Mavericks on a NUC D54250WYKH.

My unit has 1x8GB memory (I'll get a second soon), 64GB flash.

I'm using it currently with an LG full-HD TV with mini-displayport to HDMI adapter.

Here's what I still see as minor issues and I'd appreciate any pointers:

1) If I try to drive my TV with 1080P signal I get flashing, sparklies and audio blips. Windows can do that fine. 720P signal seems to work OK. I tried 2 different Mini DP to HDMI adapters that I have.

Not clear where the "timings" (ala X11) are set, and whether Clover plays a part.

2) My Serial Number is "GETYOUROWN". I can see that in the config.plist. Where do I go to get my own? Can I just make up something, or leave it as it is?

3) I'm not really clear if I still need to do something for analogue audio out or not. In About this Mac I have:

sound.jpg

But in System Preferences > Sound I don't see it.

(There isn't anything plugged in there right now).

4) I have something called "INTEL CENTRINO 6235 PCIe MINI CARD 2x2 BLUETOOTH" which is Wifi + BT. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-advanced-n-6235.html Is this supported? The Bluetooth is working, but the Wifi is not. I'm guessing its just not a supported card.

So any pointers on any of these items would be great!

Thanks so much for these amazing tools and guides.

Steve

1) If I try to drive my TV with 1080P signal I get flashing, sparklies and audio blips. Windows can do that fine. 720P signal seems to work OK. I tried 2 different Mini DP to HDMI adapters that I have.

Not clear where the "timings" (ala X11) are set, and whether Clover plays a part.

Sorry, this one I cannot shed any light on. My 1080p TV is fine. Possibly memory related but honestly I cannot say for sure.

2) My Serial Number is "GETYOUROWN". I can see that in the config.plist. Where do I go to get my own? Can I just make up something, or leave it as it is?

Download Clover Configurator.

It is a bit clunky, but first thing to do with it is mount your EFI partition - the left hand pane allows you to inspect which disk is the right one and then mount it. You probably only have one, so should be easy!

Then import the plist settings from EFI/Clover/config.plist and go down to SMBIOS and you will see the settings for your machine come up. Use the Magic wand symbol to generate a unique serial number for your board and when done use "Export" to save it to your plist.

(it was me who put "GETYOUROWN" there as I don't want everyone using my serial number!).

3) I'm not really clear if I still need to do something for analogue audio out or not. In About this Mac I have:

View attachment 99507

But in System Preferences > Sound I don't see it.

(There isn't anything plugged in there right now).

Easiest is just to load the AppleHDA.kext I uploaded. Install it into system/library/extensions using a tool such as Kext Wizard.

4) I have something called "INTEL CENTRINO 6235 PCIe MINI CARD 2x2 BLUETOOTH" which is Wifi + BT. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-advanced-n-6235.html Is this supported? The Bluetooth is working, but the Wifi is not. I'm guessing its just not a supported card.

So any pointers on any of these items would be great!

Thanks so much for these amazing tools and guides.

Steve

See my first post for the card I use (it has wifi and BT 3.0) I included an SSDT to drive it in the essentials pack. You can also reference the thread by Toleda to choose another half height card.

Hope this helps.

I've been testing the machine, and the only problem I can find so far is that when my computer sleeps, and wakes the ethernet is dead. It says the cable is unplugged. Only a reboot solves the problem.

Last week I've set up a nuc i5 without hassle. But after a week of usage I've discovered an issue on ethernet - it hangs up randomly.

From the event logs:
21/07/14 20:01:54,000 kernel[0]: AppleIntelE1000e(Err): Detected Hardware Unit Hang:
21/07/14 20:01:54,000 kernel[0]: TDH <4>
21/07/14 20:01:54,000 kernel[0]: TDT <cd>
21/07/14 20:01:54,000 kernel[0]: next_to_use <cd>
21/07/14 20:01:54,000 kernel[0]: next_to_clean <f7>
21/07/14 20:01:54,000 kernel[0]: buffer_info[next_to_clean]:
21/07/14 20:01:54,000 kernel[0]: time_stamp <c4d32>
21/07/14 20:01:54,000 kernel[0]: next_to_watch <4>
21/07/14 20:01:54,000 kernel[0]: next_to_watch.status <0>
21/07/14 20:01:54,000 kernel[0]: MAC Status <40080083>
21/07/14 20:01:54,000 kernel[0]: PHY Status <796d>
21/07/14 20:01:54,000 kernel[0]: PHY 1000BASE-T Status <3c00>
21/07/14 20:01:54,000 kernel[0]: PHY Extended Status <3000>
21/07/14 20:01:54,000 kernel[0]: PCI Status <10>

What I can do? I'd like to try this work around (Automatically restart network on lost connection - http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2012041321461476) but I'd like a more stable solution.
Thanks in advance for your help

I've been testing the machine, and the only problem I can find so far is that when my computer sleeps, and wakes the ethernet is dead. It says the cable is unplugged. Only a reboot solves the problem.

I found one more thing. If I use headphones (from a Samsung Galaxy S4) and plug them in all the way, the sound sounds very tinny and compressed. If I plug them in halfway there is no problem. This is not an issue on Windows.

Try using different versions of the ethernet kext (in EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.9).

I put the last version of the kext as uploaded to the WonkeyDonkey thread into the Haswell NUC Essential patch in the first post, so if you are not using that version then try it, if you are using that version already then give the one in Multibeast a go.

I don't use Ethernet, so you'll have to experiment a bit - let me know which one works best and I will then make sure it is put into the pack in Post #1.

Audio…..well that might be a hardware issue if it is a case of how far you push in the plug. Maybe try using an audio splitter and then see if you get the same problem.

Try using different versions of the ethernet kext (in EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.9).

I put the last version of the kext as uploaded to the WonkeyDonkey thread into the Haswell NUC Essential patch in the first post, so if you are not using that version then try it, if you are using that version already then give the one in Multibeast a go.

I don't use Ethernet, so you'll have to experiment a bit - let me know which one works best and I will then make sure it is put into the pack in Post #1.

Audio…..well that might be a hardware issue if it is a case of how far you push in the plug. Maybe try using an audio splitter and then see if you get the same problem.

I thought that at first, but since it works just fine in Windows I assume it's something with the way the drivers work in OSX.

I am using your ethernet kext, but I will try out some other ones to see what's up.

BTW - I ordered the WiFi card that is in your guide. The 3 ACPI patches that are in your folder should all be put in the Clover EFI partition right? SSDT, SSDT-1, SSDT-2 ?

BTW - I ordered the WiFi card that is in your guide. The 3 ACPI patches that are in your folder should all be put in the Clover EFI partition right? SSDT, SSDT-1, SSDT-2 ?

Yes - put all SSDTs in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched

Audio out works okay for me from front connection. Apart from that…..don't know what else to suggest as this issue has been going around in circles for a few months now really. All I can say is that the AppleHDA.kext you are using now is the best that we have.

There are other AppleHDA.kexts for this codec that you could try - google ALC283 and see if any of them work better for you. Sorry, this is one of the imperfect areas in this build.

It is possible though that some connectors will work better in the front Audio socket than others, so as iPhone audio splitters are available very cheap from eBay it might still be worth trying. Maybe there is still some possible interference with the Mic connection under OS X and by using a splitter you could eliminate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back