Contribute
Register

Memory corrupted after longer sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok ladies and gents. Here is my solution.

• When you use i7 4790k processors or similar on z97 chipset, you need to first locate the real macs using this same setting.
  • Turns out only 1 mac do use this processor and chipset: iMac 15,1
  • So change smbios to iMac 15,1. If using nvidia card you'll get black screen so before do this. Don't forget to touch /System/Library/Extensions to clear cache.
  • Install latest FakeSMC, because smbios and smc work together, so better have the latest version https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fakesmc-kozlek/downloads
  • Then when running proper iMac 15,1 smbios with latest FakeSMC.kext, delete custom SSDT for power management, because it needs to be regenerated to work with the new smbios. And rm -rf ~/Library/ssdtprGen to delete previously cached data.
  • Gen new SSDT with https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh
  • Finally place back the new SSDT.aml to its usual place in clover or other bootloader. You need to rename ssdt.aml to SSDT.aml (just in case).

Reboot and enjoy a fully working power management and with no more sleep issues.

Why this works ? Because now, the system is being treated with the right parameters.

As iMac 15,1 uses the exact same processor and chipset and with the correct tweaked SSDT from latest ssdtPRGen.sh v15.1, system runs smoothly, as it should.

After running this config for three days so far, I haven't had a single kernel panic. Thanks rimkashox!

The only downside I've had is that I don't have many P-states. CPU tends to step from 3.2GHz to 4GHz and very occasionally 800MHz, but nothing in between.

I don't think rimkaosx is necessarily doing anything 'new' here, it's just that iMac15,1 suits H97/Z97 motherboards better with our particular processors (i7-4790/4790k).

Updating fakesmc is a good idea (I hadn't updated it for ages) and so is making sure AGPM is loading properly for your GPU. Aside from that, BIOS/UEFI settings follow the pretty standard recommendation.

Load optimised defaults
Advanced memory settings > XMP Profile 1
VT-d disabled
XHCI mode Auto
Intel Processor Graphics Disabled
XHCI Hand-off Enabled
EHCI Hand-off Enabled
SATA configuration AHCI

I toggled a few extra things like switching C2, C3, C6, C7 (make sure your PSU supports this mode) to 'Enable' instead of 'Auto'.

I'm so happy things are better guys ! Below I shared my clover ACPI config, as you can see, it is totally empty ! With the custom SSDT, it should be empty for the system to do its thing without interference from Clover.

Skittlebrau, I wouldn't worry too much about the frequency, try to see in activity monitor, maybe you have a process using the cpu (maybe just one core), maybe it's just your web browser... What I personally look at is the number of watts used at all time... While idle, even if my cpu goes at +3GHz, my watts stays between 5 and 6 watts, so it's great ! When I try encoding video, it goes way above (certainly with multiple cores working).. That's good enough pm in my humble opinion.

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 13.23.10.png

Thank you all so much for your efforts. This (not-so-) random reboot issue has been a major headache. I've switched to iMac15,1, keeping my fingers crossed.

Quick question: Pike's SSDT generator script returns a "system type" error (something about being 1 instead of two), apparently related to the new system definition. Furthermore, Intel Power Gadget doesn't give me as good a speedstepping graph, compared to plain xcpm power management with Clover config.plist flags.

Which brings me to the next question, slightly OT: how is one supposed to configure the ACPI section of Clover's config.plist when an SSDT is placed in the "patched" directory?

Is the "system type" Pike script error something to worry about?

Sorry for the off-topic questions, but let's straighen out this annoying bug, once and for all!

TIA

Xen

Xen, about the system-type warning, I got the same one, from my little research it is nothing important. And about ACPI configs, leave everything empty in Clover, this way the system will use the newly generated SSDT (and patched DSDT) fully.

Exactly man, problem was just being masked... Some people still use MacPro3,1 that really disables everything... that's really not optimal Lol..

Don't forget to log out of imessage (and facetime) before changing the smbios. And type uuidgen in the command line to get a unique new smUUID value and also input your new Board Serial Number that will be your new serial number + 5 random chars. 12+5=17. That way, no problem with imessage !

Good luck !

Reading about Mac types has me thinking this might help me with my setup and getting it stable. Care to point me in the direction of some guides or information on this subject?
I have the 4690k with a EVGA 750TI if that helps and i'm using the mac 3.1 settings

I'm so happy things are better guys ! Below I shared my clover ACPI config, as you can see, it is totally empty ! With the custom SSDT, it should be empty for the system to do its thing without interference from Clover.

Skittlebrau, I wouldn't worry too much about the frequency, try to see in activity monitor, maybe you have a process using the cpu (maybe just one core), maybe it's just your web browser... What I personally look at is the number of watts used at all time... While idle, even if my cpu goes at +3GHz, my watts stays between 5 and 6 watts, so it's great ! When I try encoding video, it goes way above (certainly with multiple cores working).. That's good enough pm in my humble opinion.

I actually cleaned up my ACPI section as well. I had previously followed this guide regarding native power management. I seem to have better stepping now as I'm getting steps in the 1GHz and 2GHz range now.

I also found out my CPU usage has been abnormally high because of Spotlight seemingly being caught in an indexing loop. I've had this happen before on even a legit Mac, so I've just deleted the entire Spotlight index to force it to re-index and also added frequently changed content to the 'Privacy' tab (Dropbox and any other syncing service folder) since that can cause it to go a bit crazy apparently.

EDIT: Looks like it was Spotlight that was hogging CPU. I completely disabled it just for testing purposes and SpeedStep looks fine. As soon as I re-enabled it, CPU usage shot up. Now to just see why it's eating CPU as it definitely should've finished indexing by now.

intel-power-gadget-1.png

Ok ladies and gents. Here is my solution.

• When you use i7 4790k processors or similar on z97 chipset, you need to first locate the real macs using this same setting.
  • Turns out only 1 mac do use this processor and chipset: iMac 15,1
  • So change smbios to iMac 15,1. If using nvidia card you'll get black screen so before do this. Don't forget to touch /System/Library/Extensions to clear cache.
  • Install latest FakeSMC, because smbios and smc work together, so better have the latest version https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fakesmc-kozlek/downloads
  • Then when running proper iMac 15,1 smbios with latest FakeSMC.kext, delete custom SSDT for power management, because it needs to be regenerated to work with the new smbios. And rm -rf ~/Library/ssdtprGen to delete previously cached data.
  • Gen new SSDT with https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh
  • Finally place back the new SSDT.aml to its usual place in clover or other bootloader. You need to rename ssdt.aml to SSDT.aml (just in case).

Reboot and enjoy a fully working power management and with no more sleep issues.

Why this works ? Because now, the system is being treated with the right parameters.

As iMac 15,1 uses the exact same processor and chipset and with the correct tweaked SSDT from latest ssdtPRGen.sh v15.1, system runs smoothly, as it should.

Unfortunately, this set of steps didn't work for me :(

CPU: CORE I7-4790K
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked 4GB
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5Hm BIOS: F8
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) UDIMM Memory BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00/ BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00

I performed a fresh 10.10.5 install, did the NVidia web drive update, reboots and it all seemed to work with MacPro3,1. I then altered the Graphics kext info.plist (Config2 -> none), used kextbeast to install the revised kext, then changed the sys def to imac15,1. Reboot (ignoring caches) and I get the black screen in the middle of the boot process, and the screen never comes on.

Ideas for next steps? TIA.

Unfortunately, this set of steps didn't work for me :(

CPU: CORE I7-4790K
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked 4GB
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5Hm BIOS: F8
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) UDIMM Memory BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00/ BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00

I performed a fresh 10.10.5 install, did the NVidia web drive update, reboots and it all seemed to work with MacPro3,1. I then altered the Graphics kext info.plist (Config2 -> none), used kextbeast to install the revised kext, then changed the sys def to imac15,1. Reboot (ignoring caches) and I get the black screen in the middle of the boot process, and the screen never comes on.

Ideas for next steps? TIA.

Hi AllanMarcus (and anyone else who finds this useful),

I'm not sure about the black screen during the boot process, but if you're having the kernel panic after sleep issue that the others in this thread are having, then you may want to see if you can get your hands on some other RAM and test with that.

I say that because I see you have the Crucial Ballistix Sport. I have the same RAM but in 8GB (2x4GB) and I was having the KP on wake. I tried my cousin's Patriot band RAM which is spec'd identically to the Ballistix and it has been working perfectly so far.

With my Crucial Ballistix, I had tried everything: Various Clover DSDT patches, All the ≥iMac14,1 and ≥MacPro3,1 SysDefs, various combos of having CPU Power Management and AGPM enabled, taking out hard drives and PCI cards, switching from my Radeon HD 7850 to my GeForce 9600 GSO 512, having Clover inject ATI properties, and nothing seemed to solve the problem until I switched the RAM to the Patriot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back