Contribute
Register

MAXSUN AMD Radeon RX 550 4GB GDDR5 ITX - good for Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 GAMING SLI
CPU
i5-9400
Graphics
UHD 630 / 1680x1050
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, Can someone please help me with this, I read that RX 550 chipset will be good for my hackintosh, but there seems to be so many different versions.

will this one work?

MAXSUN AMD Radeon RX 550 4GB GDDR5 ITX Computer PC Gaming Video Graphics Card GPU​

Hello, Can someone please help me with this, I read that RX 550 chipset will be good for my hackintosh, but there seems to be so many different versions.

will this one work?

MAXSUN AMD Radeon RX 550 4GB GDDR5 ITX Computer PC Gaming Video Graphics Card GPU​

The RX 550 is not supported on MacOS (unless it is based on the same Polaris chip as the RX 560, but it is difficult to ascertain without actually testing the card).

I would suggest finding at least a RX 560, or if you don't mind, an older RX 460 (second hand maybe).

Thanks @Jamesbond007 !!

I had a quick look but couldn't see any RX460's s/h that are close by.

Would either of these RX560's work, I've never heard of Saplos though...

SAPLOS Radeon RX 560 Computer Graphics Cards, 4GB, GDDR5, 128 Bit, DisplayPort/HDMI/DVI-D, Video Cards for Gaming PC, Dual Fans GPU​

$352.16AUD
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B09KRQXWVZ/

SAPLOS Radeon RX 560 Graphics Card,4GB,GDDR5,128-Bit,PCI Express 3.0 x8,DP/HDMI/DVI,DirectX 12,Computer GPU, Desktop Video Card for Gaming PC,Dual Cooling Fans,Support 4K​

$381.02AUD
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B09KV6SJVC/

Thanks @Jamesbond007 !!

I had a quick look but couldn't see any RX460's s/h that are close by.

SAPLOS Radeon RX 560 Computer Graphics Cards, 4GB, GDDR5, 128 Bit, DisplayPort/HDMI/DVI-D, Video Cards for Gaming PC, Dual Fans GPU​

$352.16AUD
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B09KRQXWVZ/

SAPLOS Radeon RX 560 Graphics Card,4GB,GDDR5,128-Bit,PCI Express 3.0 x8,DP/HDMI/DVI,DirectX 12,Computer GPU, Desktop Video Card for Gaming PC,Dual Cooling Fans,Support 4K​

$381.02AUD
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B09KV6SJVC/
Yes I believe they can because I have a RX550 which I've enabled on my Gigabyte B550 Vision D running Monterey 12.3. It used to require a SSDT-GPU-SPOOF.aml file but these are required no longer with the latest versions of Opencore. You just need to add the device-id of FF670000 to the device properties and also no-gfx-spoof with value of 01000000 to get it working.

Same here (never heard of…), but either RX 560 should work.
The prices seems insane tough. The GPU craze is mostly over and prices have distinctly fallen—at least in Europe, maybe Australia has to catch.
You have a supported iGPU, so the question is what you want (or need) to achieve with what is now an old, low end dGPU.

The problem with those off brand GPUs is that the cooler/heatsink is really cheap, the fans don't hold up long term and can be noisier than average. They might work but really aren't worth the asking price. Use the UHD 630 and save nearly 400 AUD.

Screen Shot 2.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with those off brand GPUs is that the cooler/heatsink is really cheap, the fans don't hold up long term and can be noisier than average. They might work but really aren't worth the asking price. Use the UHD 630 and save nearly 400 AUD.

View attachment 549223
Well noise and a short life doesn't sound very appealing! But thats good to know.

I have been using the UHD 630 for a few years now and its been great. But now my kids are complaining that some game is lagging and blaming the GPU. I told them I'd look into it.

Yes I believe they can because I have a RX550 which I've enabled on my Gigabyte B550 Vision D running Monterey 12.3. It used to require a SSDT-GPU-SPOOF.aml file but these are required no longer with the latest versions of Opencore. You just need to add the device-id of FF670000 to the device properties and also no-gfx-spoof with value of 01000000 to get it working.
Thanks @Middleman,

I'm still running Mojave on this machine so hopefully it should be pretty straightforward

Same here (never heard of…), but either RX 560 should work.
The prices seems insane tough. The GPU craze is mostly over and prices have distinctly fallen—at least in Europe, maybe Australia has to catch.
You have a supported iGPU, so the question is what you want (or need) to achieve with what is now an old, low end dGPU.
Prices here are always insane!!

I built the machine as a little lockdown project with the kids in 2020, we always intended to get a graphics card, but then never got around to it. My kids are complaining about video lag on some game, so I'm looking into getting one to see if that will improve the situation.

Any not-too-old dGPU is likely to be better than the iGPU for games. But will it be enough for the kids?

So a first step would be to define the performance target for gaming—which may well clash with the price target.
Then is it for gaming under OS X, or other Windows with dual boot?
Under OS X, there's the compatibility requirement: Polaris, Vega, RX 5500/5700/6600/6800/6900.
If it's under Windows, there's the possibility to pick any suitable gaming card, including nVdia or unsupported AMD models but to disable it with a SSDT for OS X and keep using the iGPU there.

I'm still running Mojave on this machine so hopefully it should be pretty straightforward
Spoofing is not the issue. The issue is that AMD sold both Lexa and Polaris chips under the "RX 550" branding. Polaris RX 550 will work when spoofed to 560. Lexa RX 550 will not work—at all. And you may not know which lot you've drawn until it's plugged in your hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back