Intel HD4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Mavericks with i7-4770K and GA-Z87MX-D3H golden build freezing :(

Hi, just built this guy a few days ago and I'm struggling to get it stable. :banghead:

My specs:
GA-Z87MX-D3H
Intel Core i7-4770K Processor
16GB G-Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1.50v (4x4) "XMP Ready"
Samsung 120GB EVO SSD
Mavericks 10.9.1 (installed fine!)

Bios:
- Performance
- Extreme Memory Profile: Profile1
- BIOS Feature
- Intel Virtualization Technology = Disable
- Peripherals
- XHCI Mode = Auto
- XHCI Hand-off = Enable
- EHCI Hand-off = Enable
- Power Management
- Wake on LAN = Disabled

I am having serious problems with random freezes. My entire system freezes, I cannot type or move my mouse and I need to do a hard shut down.

I've flashed the F5 Bios Mod that t-mac posted about. It didn't seem to make a difference.
Read some other posts about changing the ram voltage around, I've tried stock 1.5v, 1.6v and 1.51v.

I tried to remove one ram-stick. It didn´t work. But it seems to last longer. It used to freeze quite often (anywhere from 3 mins to 1hr), now it seems to last 1 - 3hrs. I'm not sure what to look for in Console, but I don't seem to see any clues when it freezes.

The Intel HD4600 works great... I didn't have to use any flags to install or boot. I've bench-marked it and tested the ethernet quite a bit... I was thinking for a while it had something to do with the intel LAN, but I'm not sure anymore. It kept freezing during network transfers and 2GB+ downloads, but it probably wasn't related. I set the LAN adapter to "off" before going to bed last night, still froze. Just had to be sure.

I've also tried removing the FakeSMC Plugins and HWMonitor, didn't seem to help, but I'm not entirely sure I "removed" them properly.

Any recommendations?

Thanks guys for all the guides! Such a great comm
unity! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have similar problems with very similar hardware. GA Z87-D3HP and a 4770k with 16G of ram (2x8)
I have also tried all the things you listed. Latest Bios, upping the cpu and memory voltages, and getting rid of the FakeSMC plugins but I still can't shake the occasional complete system freeze.

Update: Hackintosh froze last night about 40 mins after I went to bed last night. Uptime was around 4hrs. This morning I figured I'd run it through the tests. I played some Counter-strike GO (offline with bots) for about a hour (very impressed with the HD 4600's performance, btw). I then spectated a few online matches to get that network usage into the mix. All worked fine. I left it alone and made breakfast. While eating I was streaming a Plex TV show from my main windows PC to another Windows PC on the same network as my hackintosh. TV Show crashed while streaming, noticed my hackintosh was froze at the same time. 3 Windows PCs (that have never had networking issues before) all had "limited connectivity".. Attempting to access my router via chrome simply stalled out.

I was curious, so I bet my roommate that if I reset the hackintosh from it's freeze, the network would start responding again. Sure enough, as soon as I pressed the reset button on the hackintosh, the network instantly came back online and was responsive. I was able to login to the router instantly.

Makes me think the freezes have to deal with my Intel Lan chip afterall...

any clues? anything anyone can recommend?

Thanks guys!

Also something to note:
Last night, I also got another freeze earlier in the evening where the cursor would still move (even using synergy) but the rest of the system had gone completely unresponsive. I left it like this for about 20 minutes before shutting it off. Synergy still handled the mouse going from my Windows PC (the synergy server) to the hackintosh client just fine. lol stranngee... Low level CPU priorities, I guess. :think:

Makes me think the freezes have to deal with my Intel Lan chip afterall...

any clues? anything anyone can recommend?

Multibeast 6.1 I assume? There were issues with the Intel network driver in 6.0 I think it was. You had to go back and pull it out of a previous release, but this should be all fixed in 6.1.

Multibeast 6.1 I assume? There were issues with the Intel network driver in 6.0 I think it was. You had to go back and pull it out of a previous release, but this should be all fixed in 6.1.

I did that already, I used Kextbeast with the AppleIntelE1000e.kext that I noticed other people had in their 6.0 screenshots... Though I'm not entirely sure I removed the old kext correctly and installed the "newer" LAN kext in it's place.

I used a kextlunload command to the old kext, ran kextbeast with the higher version AppleIntelE1000e.kext on the desktop. Restarted and under System Report it listed as version 2.5.4d. Currently I see version 2.4.14 installed. Screenshot attached.

Screenshot 2014-01-18 11.42.43.jpg

Update: Froze 3 times today, each with about 3 - 4hr uptime intervals. Each time it freezes it takes down my network (until I power off the hackintosh.)

And as far as what I've done to try installing that newer intel LAN kext, can anyone verify that I've done that right? :?:

Hi, just built this guy a few days ago and I'm struggling to get it stable. :banghead:

My specs:
GA-Z87X-D3H
Intel Core i7-4770K Processor
16GB G-Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1.50v (4x4) "XMP Ready"
Samsung 120GB EVO SSD
Mavericks 10.9.1 (installed fine!)

Take out two of your RAM sticks. There are known problems with gigabyte motherboards when having 4 RAM slots used up. Remove two of your RAM sticks leaving the two black slots empty and the two grey slots full. This may solve your problem.

Good Luck!

Trying that now, will post an update as soon as I see a problem or not :D

Note: Already had 1 stick out, thus 3 slots full.

With 2 of my 4GB Sticks only in the grey slots, it's been up for more than 11 hours 20 mins without problems. Was able to setup my development environment without any freezes.

Let me clarify a bit about the c states of Haswell. The c states are low power states of intel CPUS's. The higher the number the lower power state it is in. The problem with c6/7 states of Haswell is that is uses so little power, that no all PSU's can deliver (I believe it was less than 0.05A). So when using an imcompatible PSU with Haswell you need to disable some c states.

That quote from this post here makes me wonder if my power supply is to be the blame? it's a OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W...not sure if it's compatible with Haswell's C States. food for thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back