Contribute
Register

Mavericks Probook 4530S Screaming fan, green line, slow scrolling on the external display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Probook 4530s A7K05UT#ABA
CPU
Intel Core i3-2350M @ 2.30GHz 8GB RAM
Graphics
Intel HD 3000 Graphics w/120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD and 500GB OEM HD in DVD bay
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Thanks, Rehabman and all!

My Mavericks install went fine.

I had two minor problems that I just need pointers on.

The first is that the fan keeps going into screaming turbo jet mode. I'm fairly sure that I selected the standard fan kext, but which one keeps it the quietest? Rehabman's Experimental?

I'm running Airmail which may be the culprit in peg the CPU, but I see Chrome modules using a lot of CPU in Activity Monitor, too. I didn't have the problem with Mountain Lion but I've just started using Airmail.

How do I replace the kext after install anyway? Find it on the Probook Installer USB with kext wizard? I need to reboot from the USB and run the Probook Installer?

I'm also getting an occasional scrolling green line on my 1920x1200 external display in Chrome ... Heh. I got it as I was posting this. See the attached picture - and scrolling in general is laggy with many apps.

I didn't select any of the optional display kexts because I have the factory internal LCD. Do I need the optional display drivers for the external monitor?

Attachments

• Mavericks Probook Green line .jpg
    Mavericks Probook Green line .jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 248
Thanks, Rehabman and all!

My Mavericks install went fine.

I had two minor problems that I just need pointers on.

The first is that the fan keeps going into screaming turbo jet mode. I'm fairly sure that I selected the standard fan kext, but which one keeps it the quietest? Rehabman's Experimental?

There is no selection for fan kexts. There are DSDT patches. You can try each one to find one that suits your needs. Just select only that option and the DSDT will be changed for the next reboot.

I'm running Airmail which may be the culprit in peg the CPU, but I see Chrome modules using a lot of CPU in Activity Monitor, too. I didn't have the problem with Mountain Lion but I've just started using Airmail.

If you have apps running in the background using CPU resources, eventually the CPU heatsink temp will climb enough to require more cooling.

I'm also getting an occasional scrolling green line on my 1920x1200 external display in Chrome ... Heh. I got it as I was posting this. See the attached picture - and scrolling in general is laggy with many apps.

I didn't select any of the optional display kexts because I have the factory internal LCD. Do I need the optional display drivers for the external monitor?

What do you mean by "optional display kexts?"

There is no selection for fan kexts. There are DSDT patches. You can try each one to find one that suits your needs. Just select only that option and the DSDT will be changed for the next reboot.

I guess I've confused kexts and DSDT patches.

OK, so I have to boot on MultiBeast/Probook Installer again?

If you have apps running in the background using CPU resources, eventually the CPU heatsink temp will climb enough to require more cooling.

What do you mean by "optional display kexts?"

I guess I've confused kexts and DSDT patches.

Do the optional patches for a the higher res LCD displays also affect displays on the external HDMI port?

The fan didn't scream like this with Mountain Lion, so whatever patch was the default there was more to my liking.

OK, so I have to boot on MultiBeast/Probook Installer again?

We don't use Multibeast on the ProBook. We use the ProBook Installer instead. Make sure you are following the guide as posted.

Do the optional patches for a the higher res LCD displays also affect displays on the external HDMI port?

The display patches are strictly related to the laptop display, not external displays. This is clearly stated in each option's description.

The fan didn't scream like this with Mountain Lion, so whatever patch was the default there was more to my liking.

The same fan patches have been available for a very long time, so I'm not sure which one you might be referring to.

I did follow the instructions carefully and used the Probook installer, but I upgraded over the the Probook Installer Mountain Lion install.

I meant I used Unibeast.

It's "kernel_task" that is hogging the CPU, which I guess means that something is making too much use of the low level system ??? See attached.

The fans scream even when the display is asleep and I'm not at the keyboard.

I'll make a new run of the Probook Installer.

Attachments

• CPU load.jpg
    CPU load.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 279
I did follow the instructions carefully and used the Probook installer, but I upgraded over the the Probook Installer Mountain Lion install.

I meant I used Unibeast.

It's "kernel_task" that is hogging the CPU, which I guess means that something is making too much use of the low level system ??? See attached.

The fans scream even when the display is asleep and I'm not at the keyboard.

I'll make a new run of the Probook Installer.

The mds task is spotlight indexing. Do you have a lot of files to be indexed?

The mds task is spotlight indexing. Do you have a lot of files to be indexed?
please help me with mine i have about 2 hours to do this and i don't want to have to rush

please help me with mine i have about 2 hours to do this and i don't want to have to rush

Hackintosh is not something you do in a hurry. I'm on mobile for most of the weekend, so involved answers will have to come later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back