Contribute
Register

Mavericks And Windows 8.1 Dual boot CHECK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you please elaborate on that? I haven't reinstalled Windows yet and for now the only way I can boot into it is by firing up my BIOS boot menu. My previous installation was done in GPT and was booting just fine with Chimera.

The guide you referred to doesn't say anything about MBR/GPT in the "Installing on separate drives" section.

P.S. UEFI installation is a totally different thing. I'm sorry I wasn't accurate on that point.

When you install OS X and Windows on separate drives, MBR vs GPT is not relevant. Windows installer will format the drive as it needs if you leave it alone. The exception to this is on boards with UEFI BIOS, especially if installing Windows on a large HDD. Windows installer wants to install GUID on UEFI, which makes it impossible for Chimera to be used as a bootloader.
Forcing install Legacy mode can be done at 2 ways at the install boot - either boot to BIOS and make the boot mode Legacy only, or hit F12 and select the P0, P1, etc. selection for the DVD drive instead of the UEFI selection.
Another method is to pre-format the HDD before booting the install DVD. This prevents the creation of the System Reserved partition, so you have only one Windows partition. The pre-format can be either MBR (if drive size is less then 2Tb) or GUID. If GUID, creating a partition in disk utility with MSDOS FAT causes a hybrid GPT+/MBR partition to be created. Windows will install on it.

Sadly it doesn't appear to apply for me.

I installed windows under MBR in legacy boot mode, but Chimera can't boot into it.

For the record - Windows was the first OS on the system. OSX was installed with all the disks connected and Windows installed on one of the drives. Neither the Unibeast USB nor Chimera on the hard drive are able to boot into Windows, but we're getting a little off-topic here so I'll leave it at that. It really doesn't bother me to hit a button when I want to go to Windows, it's not like it's my primary OS anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back