GTX 760 by ASUS
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi

I'm just about to order a second SSD for the latest version of mavericks so I can create my hackintosh.
I have learned how to make a dual boot hackintosh from the tutorials in the forum.
I just want to make sure all the steps are correct as I am having a little trouble convincing myself.
If someone could just confirm that these steps of installation are correct, that would be great!

Specs:
GA-B75M-D3H
Core i5 3570k
8GB of ram
GTX 760 by ASUS

Notes: I have windows 8.1 already installed as legacy.

1. Create a Mavericks bootable USB drive using unibeast on an existing Mac.
2. Disconnect all SDD's and HDD's except the OSX-to-be drive.
3. Boot from USB and select the install icon from the boot screen
4. Install mavericks using the standard tutorials in the forums.
5. Once installed, restart and boot into mavericks again at the boot menu.
6. Download multibeast and install the correct kexts (I have made note of the correct ones from a different discussion in the forums. The person has the same motherboard and CPU as me)
7. For the GTX 760 set the graphics enabler = no (IS THIS RIGHT?!)
8. Shut down and add the Windows 8.1 drive.
9. Set the OSX SSD as the primary boot drive.
Finished

Have I missed anything?
Am I right in saying that the PC will boot to a menu where I can select either Mavericks or Win 8.1?
Will my wireless USB and mouse just work when installing and after installation?
Please help! Thanks

Hi

I'm just about to order a second SSD for the latest version of mavericks so I can create my hackintosh.
I have learned how to make a dual boot hackintosh from the tutorials in the forum.
I just want to make sure all the steps are correct as I am having a little trouble convincing myself.
If someone could just confirm that these steps of installation are correct, that would be great!

Specs:
GA-B75M-D3H
Core i5 3570k
8GB of ram
GTX 760 by ASUS

Notes: I have windows 8.1 already installed as legacy.

1. Create a Mavericks bootable USB drive using unibeast on an existing Mac.
2. Disconnect all SDD's and HDD's except the OSX-to-be drive.
3. Boot from USB and select the install icon from the boot screen
4. Install mavericks using the standard tutorials in the forums.
5. Once installed, restart and boot into mavericks again at the boot menu.
6. Download multibeast and install the correct kexts (I have made note of the correct ones from a different discussion in the forums. The person has the same motherboard and CPU as me)
7. For the GTX 760 set the graphics enabler = no (IS THIS RIGHT?!)
8. Shut down and add the Windows 8.1 drive.
9. Set the OSX SSD as the primary boot drive.
Finished

Have I missed anything?
Am I right in saying that the PC will boot to a menu where I can select either Mavericks or Win 8.1?
Will my wireless USB and mouse just work when installing and after installation?
Please help! Thanks

Haven't missed anything per se, but do you want to boot OS X by default if no key is touched or do you want the system to wait for you to select an OS and hit the enter key?
If default, remember the time delay can be extended if you need more time by editing the key in com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra folder. (or it can be shortened, but if set to 0 it is same as instant menu)
If you want to have it wait, select instant menu in the MultiBeast selections.

The only thing I doubt would work is dual booting using Chimera.

Make sure your Windows installation is done in GPT. Otherwise I don't think dual booting will work for you. OSX requires you to format the installation media (your SSD in your case as I understand it) under GPT. That said if you installed Windows with WinUSB-DVD tool from their official site it won't work, since it installs Windows under MBR.

I suggest your re-install Windows using Rufus. ​It has a GPT formatting option, Windows setup knows what to do next.

Other than that you sound ready :)

Hi, Thanks for the reply!
A lot of people have said that Chimera will work fine as long as I haven't installed windows 8.1 as UEFI?
(Which I haven't) So shouldn't it work fine?

Thanks again

Am I right in saying that Instant menu is where it stays at the boot menu until I choose OSX or windows?

Thanks again

The only thing I doubt would work is dual booting using Chimera.

Make sure your Windows installation is done in GPT. Otherwise I don't think dual booting will work for you. OSX requires you to format the installation media (your SSD in your case as I understand it) under GPT. That said if you installed Windows with WinUSB-DVD tool from their official site it won't work, since it installs Windows under MBR.

I suggest your re-install Windows using Rufus. ​It has a GPT formatting option, Windows setup knows what to do next.

The above is totally wrong on all points.

Am I right in saying that Instant menu is where it stays at the boot menu until I choose OSX or windows?

Thanks again

Yes.

So i'll be okay just using Chimera?
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

So i'll be okay just using Chimera?
Thanks

The above is totally wrong on all points.

Could you please elaborate on that? I haven't reinstalled Windows yet and for now the only way I can boot into it is by firing up my BIOS boot menu. My previous installation was done in GPT and was booting just fine with Chimera.

The guide you referred to doesn't say anything about MBR/GPT in the "Installing on separate drives" section.

P.S. UEFI installation is a totally different thing. I'm sorry I wasn't accurate on that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back