Contribute
Register

Making NEC USB 3.0 Card Fully Comportable with Original MAC Drivers [CalDigit, LaCie, Oyen]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bay any chance do you have the correct tool for uPD720201??

I tried the one posted here and another I've found for windows and I can't rebrand the chip.

I have it working by using a patched CalDigit kext with the device ID from my card, but in System Profiler shows as 480 Mbps, although it works as intended with speeds up to 80 MB/s like on windows.

Cheers!

Also curious to know if anyone has found a working .kext that works for the 201 based chips? I've flashed mine to match the various vendor id's (verified with the flash tool), but in Ubuntu and OSX the device shows up as a generic Renesas USB device.

Also curious to know if anyone has found a working .kext that works for the 201 based chips? I've flashed mine to match the various vendor id's (verified with the flash tool), but in Ubuntu and OSX the device shows up as a generic Renesas USB device.

I gave up trying to rebrand my card. I'm now using GenericUSBXHCI.kext and works beautifully.

Anyone using this card should give it a try.

Cheers!

So, Now We can to change Subsystem Vendor ID and Subsystem Device ID for Your
NEC/RENESAS USB3 Controller on chip (uPD720200 & uPD720200a)

for uPD720201/uPD720202 - check my post attachment #36

All latest original MAC drivers, before locked for us, will be available from Vendors by Your choice:
CalDigit MAC Driver or
LaCie MAC Driver or
Oyen Digital MAC Driver or
Sonnet MAC Driver
and etc...

The MAC Drivers locked in differences Subsystem Vendor ID / Subsystem Device ID

Controllers on chip Nec/RENESAS has similar main vendor is NEC forever - Vendor ID: 1033 / Device ID: 0194​

Sonnet - Subsystem Vendor ID: 16B8 / Subsystem Device ID: 5701
(This driver in System Info Showing PCI Cards Driver Installed: Yes and SXHCD.kext loaded fine and working immediately with all cards, support full speed USB 3.0 only with Drives without external power or low power required).
This driver more stable when original LaCie kext without any patches and Perfect working in full USB 3.0 mode with best Performance and speed.

NOW it's The Best Driver for flashing Subsystem ID method, Perfect working without any patches!!!

LaCie - Subsystem Vendor ID: 059F / Subsystem Device ID: 0194
(This driver in System Info Showing PCI Cards Driver Installed: Yes and PXHCD.kext loaded fine and working immediately with all cards, but only with USB 2.0 Devices, original driver is locked, and supporting full speed USB 3.0 only with LaCie Drives) - Need patched last PXHCD.kext 1.0.11 for unlocking all usb drives, in patched kext may be issues with performance or stability.

CalDigit
- Subsystem Vendor ID: 2188 / Subsystem Device ID: 0194 for PCI Express Card (Desktop) and Device ID: 0195 for ExpressCard (NoteBook)
(This driver in System Info Showing PCI Cards Driver Installed: Yes and CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext loaded fine, but only 1 or 2 of 10 cards working immediately with all USB Devices, other cards with unknown reasons don't want find any USB Devices) - Need more research for supporting uPD720200 / uPD720200a cards. Try it with uPD720201/uPD720202 cards - Post #36

Oyen Digital - Subsystem Vendor ID: 0DC4 / Subsystem Device ID: 0194
(This driver in System Info Showing PCI Cards Driver Installed: Yes and mXHCD.kext loaded fine, but most cards with unknown reasons don't want find any USB Devices) - Need more research for supporting cards. Try it with uPD720201/uPD720202 cards - Post #46

Intel - Subsystem Vendor ID: 8086 / Subsystem Device ID: 1E31
(This driver in System Info Showing PCI Cards Driver Installed: Yes and only patched AppleUSBXHCI.kext loaded fine and mostly working immediately, but may be issues with performance or stability on non Intel Cards) - Need patched plugin AppleUSBXHCI.kext inside of IOUSBFamily.kext from native OS 10.8.2 for supporting non Intel chipset. More info...
And Now GenericUSBXHCI Project - Source

Renesas
- Subsystem Vendor ID: 1912 / Subsystem Device ID: 0015
(Just original ID's by Renesas Vendor for NEC/RENESAS USB3 Cards)

In Attachment ORIGINAL Latest Firmware for NEC chip uPD720200 & uPD720200a and Tool for Flashing it with any Subsystem Vendor ID / Subsystem Device ID by Your Choice.

The NEW Original Firmware Version 4.0.2.1.0.3 pour NEC uPD720200a only - 10/05/13
Perfect working with latest original Sonnet USB 3.0 Driver (Mac) 1.0.9b1 - 25/02/13

Instructions:

Download Attachment and unpack IT.
2. Now We have to make boot USB with Free DOS under Windows using Rufus.
3. Run rufus_v1.0.7f.exe in fat 32 /Quick Format / Create a DOS bootable disk.
Open Flash folder and copy all the contents to the USB Bootable drive you just made. Open CFG.INI file from USB drive in notepad.
Change FFFF to desired
SubSystemVendor ID and SubSystem ID (Device ID) from Vendor List.txt
Code:
[SubSystemVendorID]
FFFF
[SubSystemID]
FFFF

Save
CFG.INI
Insert Your NEC USB 3.0 Card with empty usb ports.
Restart, enter the Bios or rEFIt and choose your bootable usb drive.
5. Under Free DOS Type in the command below exactly.
Code:
D200FW36.EXE /srom ?

It's detect your chip
uPD720200 or uPD720200a and rev. 3 or 4 ....
If your detected chip will be uPD720200 rev. 3 Type in the command below exactly.
Code:
D200FW36.EXE /srom 0 /writeall F303408.MEM CFG.INI
If your detected chip will be uPD720200a rev.4 Type in the command below exactly.
Code:
D200FW36.EXE /srom 0 /writeall F402003.MEM CFG.INI
8. Reboot to MAC OS and now you can install driver from Vendor then you
desire flash before with SubSystemVendor ID and SubSystem ID (Device ID).
You Can change
FFFF to desired in CFG.INI again and Flash again many times as you wish.

Please post hear new information and ADD LIST THE NEW Subsystem Vendor ID and Subsystem Device ID...

Hi DZLK,

I would like to thank you for making and updating the thread. I was able to flash my USB3 controller with NEC chip to become "CalDigit card" and use fresh CalDigit drivers from Nov 2013 to make the card work under OSX 10.8.5.

Tried with a Renessas card

it reports uPD720200A Rev4 chipset.

Tried the firmware change. It seems it works. It reports that the rom is erased and rewritten.

but the Vendor ID and the Subsystem ID is not changed....

Tried with the new firmware and with the one at the first post.

Also genericUSB driver doesnt work with mine....

Hello.
Check My Post #47 all in 1 for uPD720200a step by step
The Best driver for uPD720200a is Sonnet USB 3.0 Driver (Mac) 1.0.9b1
and the best Firmware Version 4.0.2.1.0.3 pour NEC uPD720200a

Yes, I know, and I did every step but the card is recognized BUT it doesn't detect anything when connected.

Will try today again step by step and see how it goes. Thanks for the reply.

BUT it doesn't detect anything when connected
This issues by beta driver from Sonnet 1.0.9b1, it's have missed timeout for recognize connected unit.
I hope they fix it bug.

I wrote about this in my post #47 at last string.
7. Now plug in your device to USB 3.0 port and reboot Mac OS X with connected unit.
You must connect all of your unit to USB 3.0 before you turn on MAC and Mac OS X will get start booting.

UPDATE:
I Just find, what Sonnet post at Jan-02-2014 System Installer Patch for PCI Cards and over..
There is a bug in the Apple ExpressCard driver that prevents ExpressCards from initializing in the MBP. We have reported it to Apple and expect Apple to fix it in a future release. In the meantime, we have a patcher for you.

Download the System Installer System Installer Patch

When you get to the installation type, click to Customize, deselect everything but leave IOPCIFamily, and click Install. Restart and all should be well. When Apple updates the ExpressCard Driver, it will overwrite the old driver with the Sonnet patch, so there will never be a need to uninstall.

Thank you, guys, for such a good work!
I have NECXG PCIe USB 3 card with chip marked D720201 / 701 / 1333PV016G. It shows like Renesas Vendor 1912, Device 0014, Revision 3. Got it very cheap on eBay.
Flashed it with tool posted here. Sonnet at first worked only with devices present on moment of boot, but not plugged later. I've tried all of vendors, but found nothing better. And after all tries with all drivers installed, including patched LaCie, I flashed to Sonnet again.
Hopefully, now it works with hot-plugged devices too !

Edit: Nevermind! I am an idiot and my problem was simply a suddenly-dead USB flash drive which coincided with when I was flashing my PCIe card. Sorry if I alarmed anyone!

Thanks BTW for this thread--should be very helpful to get my no-name PCIe controller working on my OS X virtual machine (under ESXi)

Brilliant guide! Many thanks, works excellent... :)

Flashing the PCIE card:
82715-usb3-flashing.jpg

The result! :headbang:
82714-ga-g41mt-d3v-usb3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back