Contribute
Register

Macpro 5,1 cold-boots on wake from sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspected that one of my DSDT patches was incorrect, so I tried removing all of my manual DSDT patches (restoring the DSDT to a freshly-extracted "bare-bones" DSDT with only errors fixed and only the LPCB._DSM patch). I then applied the CLOVER patches via CLOVER config.plist. The system still cold-boots on wake.

I uninstalled the NVidia web driver (reverting to the native High Sierra drivers), but the system still cold-boots on wake.

I'll continue to look for solutions, but this is looking more and more like something I have to live with for this motherboard.

Removed VoodooHDA and installed Lilu/AppleALC (layout-id = 1). Sound is better, but wake behavior remains the same.

@pastrychef - I figured out why I needed FixRegions enabled as a CLOVER ACPI fix. I corrected the problem and no longer need this setting and my system boots fine without it. I still haven't solved the wake topic of this thread, but wanted to let you know that FixRegions is no longer necessary. I'll leave this as a puzzle for the advanced hackintosher:

Why did I need the CLOVER FixRegions fix enabled in my config.plist (when it should not have been necessary) and what did I do to fix this so that FixRegions is not necessary?

I used DosDude's Mojave patcher to allow me to upgrade to Mojave 10.14.4. Wake from sleep behavior is different in Mojave than High Sierra. Now, in Mojave, sleeping and then waking from sleep results in BIOS CMOS checksum error. BIOS is corrupt. I'm not certain, but I believe this indicates that there is an incorrectly applied shutdown and/or sleep DSDT patch. Note that shutdown works without issues.

After upgrading CLOVER to r4920 (from r4910), the CMOS checksum error is fixed. Now, the sleep/wake behavior in Mojave 10.14.4 is the same as it was in High Sierra 10.13.6: System appears to sleep (power LED flashing slowly), but wake (by clicking mouse button) causes the system to cold-boot instead of to resume from sleep.

After the Mojave 10.14.4 upgrade from High Sierra 10.13.6 (using DosDude's Mojave Patcher), everything except wake works perfectly. My system runs Mojave 10.14.4 very well (with an Nvidia GeForce 9800GT, dual-DVI displays, graphics acceleration). In fact, I think it's better than it was with High Sierra 10.13.6. However, wake behavior remains unchanged in Mojave. Still hoping to fix wake from sleep.

EDIT: Upgraded to Mojave 10.14.5 - wake behavior remains unchanged. Other than that, system is perfect.

Last edited:
I have seen others fix the "reboot on wake" problem by installing CLOVER boot loader driver EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. I am using CLOVER in legacy boot mode. Is there an equivalent driver (equivalent to EmuVariableUefi-64.efi) for legacy boot mode (to be installed in the CLOVER/drivers64 folder)?

I have seen others fix the "reboot on wake" problem by installing CLOVER boot loader driver EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. I am using CLOVER in legacy boot mode. Is there an equivalent driver (equivalent to EmuVariableUefi-64.efi) for legacy boot mode (to be installed in the CLOVER/drivers64 folder)?
I saw Slice's explanation of the origins of AptioMemoryFix in another forum and now understand that EmuVariable driver does not need to be added to CLOVER legacy.

I just read on another forum that S3 Suspend State with the H55 chipset causes BIOS corruption (even with RTC fix enabled in CLOVER config.plist). This seems to be what is happening on my system (and what causes a reboot on wake). Does anyone have a solution for this?

EDIT: I changed S3 to S1 suspend state in BIOS. Now on sleep, displays go black and fans stay running (which I think is expected behavior for S1). I will continue running with this configuration until an S3 fix is found.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back