Contribute
Register

MacPro 1,1, GeForce 630gt, Chameleon & Multiple Displays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac Pro 2,1
CPU
2x Xeon 5355
Graphics
MSI GeForce GT630
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My specs:

MacPro 1,1 (with 2,1 Firmware hack)
x5355 x 2
16GB RAM
MSI Nvidia GeForce 630GT =http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N630GT-MD2GD3.html

My problem:
Recently installed mountain lion using Jabbawok's chameleon boot loader method.
Working absolutely perfect APART from 1 thing:

I can only use 1 display.

I read that my card shouldn't need the GraphicsEnabler=Yes, however, it does not work if I change it to GraphicsEnabler=No
it will boot etc, but when OS X loads, the screen is black.

So, I put GraphicsEnabler=Yes and it works, but only with 1 display (works individually on both the DVI and VGA outputs)

I have all the latest Nvidia drivers and updated OS X to 10.8.4

Why is my card not working straight out of the box? Anyone know? What do I need to do in order to get multiple displays?

Would really appreciate any help with this. Thanks in advance

Looks like that card is working with Dual link DVI-I (in theory it should not work at all with 10.8)

Mac OSX 10.8 should be properly supported with DVI-D - you will need monitor support for this also on each of the two you wish to use.

Do you have access to another card with DVI-D and HDMI that you can try?

Adrian B

Looks like that card is working with Dual link DVI-I (in theory it should work at all with 10.8)

Mac OSX 10.8 should be properly supported with DVI-D - you will need monitor support for this also on each of the two you wish to use.

Do you have access to another card with DVI-D and HDMI that you can try?

Adrian B

Hi there, thanks for replying. I don't have another card that I can try (apart from the 7300GT which certainly does NOT work with ML) hopefully I will be getting a gt120 soon. But the weird thing is, before I used chameleon to boot ML, I used another method with a patched EFI boot and a patched installer to install ML on my system, which actually works pretty well (apart from any app relying on an apple ID) and my card worked PERFECT, even before I even installed the Nvidia drivers ML still made that card work.

So why does it not work now when booting from Chameleon? Is there a DSDT mod that I need to apply? or something in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist ?

The honest answer is that I don't know how it was working before - its beyond my understanding, however I have seen some people using 10.7 and having DVI-D and VGA working simultaneously, the community view was that the VGA and DVI connection shared the same output path or something - I don't really remember, it has been a few months now since I have seen that happening.

Adrian B

You really should not be using VGA at all with ML. I know your gonna say VGA works fine, that doesn't mean you _should_ use it though. Get a card with 2 DVI/DP/HDMI and it should be fine.

Are you using a DSDT?
What SMBIOS are your using?
Did you run Multibeast and if so what did you install?

I also run a similar setup but do not use the mentioned guides as they are bad and his DSDT was also bad.

You really should not be using VGA at all with ML. I know your gonna say VGA works fine, that doesn't mean you _should_ use it though. Get a card with 2 DVI/DP/HDMI and it should be fine.

Are you using a DSDT?
What SMBIOS are your using?
Did you run Multibeast and if so what did you install?

I also run a similar setup but do not use the mentioned guides as they are bad and his DSDT was also bad.

Hi thanks for you help, I really appreciate it. I was using the DSDT he used but I have found no real benefit in doing so, so I removed it and nothing's changed. I didn't use Multibeast and the SMBIOS is the one in the Jabbawok guide:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro2,1</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>SMsystemboard</key>
<string>Mac-F4208DC8</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP21.88Z.007F.B06.0707021348</string>
<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1026</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>00000000001</string>

</dict>
</plist>

Obviously putting my serial number.

As I am pretty new to using these guides and chameleon, may I ask for some help? Perhaps you can tell me your method?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back