Contribute
Register

macOS Native CPU/IGPU Power Management

one reading is really strange, wonder if it's related to PM ?
Different OS, different hardware, IPG won't be the same.
If your concern is utilization graph on the bottom report, not PM problem; contact Intel IPG.

Off topic

Expected, no display connectors

Yes, native behavior

Are you interested in maximum resources when running FCP? If yes, there is no conflict.

Thank you for the response. So just to confirm, even though I no longer see igpu@2 > agpm in ioreg, I still get native power management?

What is not clear?
Post #1:
6. Install XCPM ssdt
  • Remove EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched/SSDT.aml (ssdtPRgen ssdt, if installed)
  • Download: ssdt_xcpm.zip (click link, click View Raw)
  • Install Downloads/SSDT-XCPM.aml
    • Clover: EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched/SSDT-XCPM.aml

For users that see an incorrect frequency range, the fix is noted

macOS/XCPM: plugintype=1 is required. The guide disables the Clover setting and injects the property with the attached ssdt.

Look closely, note when Cinebench/GPU starts and when it ends and when Cinebench/CPU starts. Benchmarking, by design, stresses the CPU and/or GPU. I don't run benchmark tools without native PM enabled.

Thanks again for clarifying that to me. I copied the SSDT-XCPM.aml file to the folder like you said. Things mostly work butI still have wonkiness with my CPU and GPU a lot. Looking at the instructions again, I realize I don't know if I set up GPU PM, and for the life of me I don't know how to set the preliminary requirement of x86PlatformPlugin/PluginType=1.

Attached is my config.plist, and my current patches/drivers/kexts I'm happy to provide any other info you'll need. Can someone help out?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 4.44.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 4.44.59 PM.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 4.41.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 4.41.34 PM.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 4.41.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 4.41.04 PM.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 93
  • config.plist
    6.4 KB · Views: 160
  • RitzBitz00's AppleIntelInfo.kext output .txt
    13.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Benchmarking.png
    Benchmarking.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Idle.png
    Idle.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Ritzbitz's iMac.ioreg
    5.8 MB · Views: 68
  • Post-Benchmark Idle.png
    Post-Benchmark Idle.png
    281.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Do not post files to third parties, attach files to your post.
See Post #1/Problem Reporting; attach all requested files
Apologies, I've updated post #825 with attached information. I struggled a bit with getting the output of AppleIntelInfo.kext, but you can follow the difficulty in the log. I was not able to change the X axis value of the intel power gadget chart so I had to split it into 3 captures.

Last edited:
Why?
Why are the IPGs different?
I don't know. The preferences menu had y axis settings and sample size settings, but that doesn't change the width of the graph for some reason.

I got the Intel power gadget tool a year ago, and got it from inteI's website. Maybe it changed in a newer version?

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to be difficult. I appreciate that you're willing to look over all my diagnostics. It's possible though that my issue begins in the prerequisites. How do I check that x86PlatformPlugin/PluginType is set to 1?

Could it be that I don't need the power management workaround and that it works oob? Did a clean install on Mojave and the CPU power management seems to function according to the Intel Power Gadget graph. When idle around 1Ghz and when under load goes up and down. No X86PLatformplugin or Clover settings loaded/installed. I'm on i7-7700K with RX560

Update to the latest IPG
ssdt sets x86PlatformPlugin/PluginType/1, working
View attachment 365721
I've updated to the latest version of IPG, 3.5.5. The maximum update time is 1000ms, so even though I can change the speed, a 5 minute sample still would not fit in one view. Screenshot included to show that thats the case.

Thanks for checking the IOregistry for me! If there's anything more I can provide, please let me know.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 5.21.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 5.21.45 PM.png
    618.4 KB · Views: 124
Back