Contribute
Register

macOS Catalina to be Available this October

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant word for word what I submitted in #32 above. Nothing really to add to that from my side only that the direction, on the world stage, that Apple has sucessfully followed for decades now is not and never has been exclusively determined by Steve Jobs or Tim Cook. Any successful manger knows the importance that market forces and shareholder sentiments play in the overall descision making process in guiding a company to the path of succes and then manage in keeping it there. The opinions of a handful of hackers will never determine which hardware will finally find it's way into Apple's products. Should all the hackers worldwide club together and grab any Apple shares that might be available then it will still not buy them any significant say and influence over Apples longer term direction. The only path open to get the hardware into the computers you use daily is to follow Steve Jobs's example and build, what you perceive to be your the dream machine, in your own garage yourself. That option is however not for me therefore I throw in the towel, merrily continue hacking and on top of that use equipment readily available that satisfies my needs, even using other platforms if required.

Greetings

Henties
You said Jim Cook so I wonder who is that.

You said Jim Cook so I wonder who is that.
Now I get it, a spelling mistake on the name, should of cause be Tim Cook.

Greetings

Henties

So catalina no longer Supports Open GL ? CL ? I thought it will be just deprecating but still keep working?

@tabarus,

As far as I know Open GL is depreciated in MacOS Mojave (10.14.X) and completely removed in MacOS Catalina (10.15.X)

Cheers
Jay

@tabarus,

As far as I know Open GL is depreciated in MacOS Mojave (10.14.X) and completely removed in MacOS Catalina (10.15.X)

Cheers
Jay
Open GL is still working on Catalina beta 8. My inquisitiveness compelled me to upgrade a spare Mojave 10.14.6 installation and I can confirm that Open GL is still enabled in beta 8 of Catalina. I tested it, among others, with my X-Plane 11.36 flight sim, which is also still only, Open GL enabled. It works like a dream with Catalina beta 8. The next upgrade of X-Plane 11 may well support Metal/Vulcan as well. I am not so sure though whether Apple will indeed remove Open GL from Catalina GM and later, soon. Open GL may just remain deprecated but functional for a while still. The direct upgrade to Catalina beta 8 dev, without a USB install stick, completed without any problems whatsoever.

While running it, some niggly problems surfaced though:

Could not mount External USB drives, USB-2 as well as USB 3-drives were affected. I solved it by moving my USBPorts.kext from /L/E to Clover .../other. Bingo this particular problem resolved.

Could not use my Apple gb. USB ethernet adapter on a micro-USB-3 port. An Apple 100 mb. USB adapter connected to the same micro-USB port via a micro to USB adapter however proved to be working.

No big deal because it is used as a secondary adapter to isolate my DANTE network from my switched Gigabit backbone, thereby preserving the full bandwidth for my run of the mill activities via my onboard gb. ethernet controller.

Lastly, the installation rendered my control centre, with which I control devices on my distributed network, on an as and when required basis, useless. It turned out that the upgrade removed some mods I applied to the /etc/sudoers configuration file. After adding my mods back to the new /etc/sudoers file everything was working again.

I am actually surprised how well Catalina, in its present beta incarnation is actually performing, more agile than Mojave for sure, which is surprising considering that beta software usually includes debug code which is dragded along when running and usually slowing things down. I still expect a considerable performance boost once the debug code has been removed from Catalina.

Catalina is cluttered with a lot of gimmicks which I do no need, will however have a peek at it every now and then when upgrades/updates are available, just to see how things are developing down the line, who knows I might one day decide to use it as my main platform but presently certainly not, am quite happy with Mojave particularly it's stability/reliability/security as well as performance.

Greetings

Henties

Open GL is still working on Catalina beta 8. My inquisitiveness compelled me to upgrade a spare Mojave 10.14.6 installation and I can confirm that Open GL is still enabled in beta 8 of Catalina. I tested it, among others, with my X-Plane 11.36 flight sim, which is also still only, Open GL enabled. It works like a dream with Catalina beta 8. The next upgrade of X-Plane 11 may well support Metal/Vulcan as well. I am not so sure though whether Apple will indeed remove Open GL from Catalina GM and later, soon. Open GL may just remain deprecated but functional for a while still. The direct upgrade to Catalina beta 8 dev, without a USB install stick, completed without any problems whatsoever.

While running it, some niggly problems surfaced though:

Could not mount External USB drives, USB-2 as well as USB 3-drives were affected. I solved it by moving my USBPorts.kext from /L/E to Clover .../other. Bingo this particular problem resolved.

Could not use my Apple gb. USB ethernet adapter on a micro-USB-3 port. An Apple 100 mb. USB adapter connected to the same micro-USB port via a micro to USB adapter however proved to be working.

No big deal because it is used as a secondary adapter to isolate my DANTE network from my switched Gigabit backbone, thereby preserving the full bandwidth for my run of the mill activities via my onboard gb. ethernet controller.

Lastly, the installation rendered my control centre, with which I control devices on my distributed network, on an as and when required basis, useless. It turned out that the upgrade removed some mods I applied to the /etc/sudoers configuration file. After adding my mods back to the new /etc/sudoers file everything was working again.

I am actually surprised how well Catalina, in its present beta incarnation is actually performing, more agile than Mojave for sure, which is surprising considering that beta software usually includes debug code which is dragded along when running and usually slowing things down. I still expect a considerable performance boost once the debug code has been removed from Catalina.

Catalina is cluttered with a lot of gimmicks which I do no need, will however have a peek at it every now and then when upgrades/updates are available, just to see how things are developing down the line, who knows I might one day decide to use it as my main platform but presently certainly not, am quite happy with Mojave particularly it's stability/reliability/security as well as performance.

Greetings

Henties

OpenGL works in Catalina. It you need a Metal II capable video card to use it. So if you have older cards, the OpenGL won’t work even if you try swapping out the support Kexts.

We could swap out older Kexts in High Sierra and Mojave but Catalina makes this troublesome for now. There may be a way to self sign the Kexts to pass security checks but that hasn’t worked so far as I know. The system Kexts are read only for now.

OpenGL works in Catalina. It you need a Metal II capable video card to use it. So if you have older cards, the OpenGL won’t work even if you try swapping out the support Kexts.

We could swap out older Kexts in High Sierra and Mojave but Catalina makes this troublesome for now. There may be a way to self sign the Kexts to pass security checks but that hasn’t worked so far as I know. The system Kexts are read only for now.
Sorry but for the life of me I do not understand what you are trying to tell me in your message as quoted above.

Greetings

Henties

Sorry but for the life of me I do not understand what you are trying to tell me in your message as quoted above.

Greetings

Henties

OpenCL and OpenGl work on Catalina. But you need a Metal capable card. So a card that is not metal capable like Nvidia fermi or AMD HD6000 series won't work. They need to be metal capable for the openCL/GL to work.

OpenCL and OpenGl work on Catalina. But you need a Metal capable card. So a card that is not metal capable like Nvidia fermi or AMD HD6000 series won't work. They need to be metal capable for the openCL/GL to work.
Thanks for clarifying. In my original post I was referring to my first ever encounter with a version of Catalina which happened to be at development stage beta 8, at that particular juncture. From my signature it is aparent that I only use RX 580 graphics hardware, consequently the requirement for openCL/GL to work has been met. So everything seems still to be fine with the environments I have created with respect to Catalina.

Greetings

Henties

Open GL is still working on Catalina beta 8.

OpenCL and OpenGl work on Catalina. But you need a Metal capable card.

@Henties, @Gigamaxx,

Thats really good to know ... thanks for the the confirmation ...
Whats the score on 32 bit Apps in Catalina ? .. do they still work or does everything now have to be 64 Bit ?

I haven't tested any of the Catalina beta's this time as have had too much work on over the last few months.

Cheers
Jay

@Henties, @Gigamaxx,

Thats really good to know ... thanks for the the confirmation ...
Whats the score on 32 bit Apps in Catalina ? .. do they still work or does everything now have to be 64 Bit ?

I haven't tested any of the Catalina beta's this time as have had too much work on over the last few months.

Cheers
Jay

One of my buddies was telling me there is an app or something that will put a 64 bit wrapper on a 32 bit app to make it work in Catalina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back