Contribute
Register

macOS Catalina to be Available this October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have any idea what’s going to be required to get Sidecar working on a Hackintosh? I discovered with the beta that my MacBook Pro is too old and not supported but I don’t know if that’s a hardware issue or just arbitrary. Would be great to get it working on my new Hackintosh!

Do we have any idea what’s going to be required to get Sidecar working on a Hackintosh? I discovered with the beta that my MacBook Pro is too old and not supported but I don’t know if that’s a hardware issue or just arbitrary. Would be great to get it working on my new Hackintosh!
From Macrumors.com site:

Compatibility

Apple hasn't provided specific details on which Macs are compatible with Sidecar, but macOS Catalina's code suggests it is limited to newer Macs. Sidecar works with the following machines:

Many older machines are blacklisted from taking advantage of Sidecar, but some older Macs can use the feature via a Terminal command provided by developer Steve Troughton-Smith. There are few details on this method, but those interested can check out our original article on compatibility.

Could not mount External USB drives, USB-2 as well as USB 3-drives were affected. I solved it by moving my USBPorts.kext from /L/E to Clover .../other. Bingo this particular problem resolved.

Hi there.

I wonder if this might be the new code-signing checks /security in Catalina poking through. USBPorts.kext might fail security when out in the open - L/E - but work fine if 'hidden' from the OS in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

Good to learn :thumbup:

@Henties, @Gigamaxx,

Thats really good to know ... thanks for the the confirmation ...
Whats the score on 32 bit Apps in Catalina ? .. do they still work or does everything now have to be 64 Bit ?

I haven't tested any of the Catalina beta's this time as have had too much work on over the last few months.

Cheers
Jay
Unable to provide any feedback on 32 bit apps in Catalina beta 8, sorry. Have weened my Mojave system I use daily from 32 bit apps already some time ago. Wasn't difficult at all. The apps I wrote myself were easy to convert, with all other apps I use being available in 64 bit versions from my suppliers. I did encounter a small problem with WOL, I used to use, but I found another one that was compiled as a 64 bit app. I am modern now, to say the least. Today I used X-Plane 11 and "pilotted" a Cessna 172 SP across Europe for many hours with landings galore, all on Catalina beta 8. No problems whatsoever, openCL/GL performance is like a dream considering that X-Plane 11 can at this stage only run in an openCL/GL mode. Down the line, soon, that will change. Cannot wait for that to happen. For "Losedows" Vulcan will be the graphics environment of choice. With all these futuristic developments on the go for me it certainly is not a surprise at all that nVidia is not putting any serious effort into Metal development because Metal as well as Vulcan at present is still in a state of "flux" with nobody knowing which of these technologies will finally be adopted by the "masses". The graphical environment, the way we got used to over the years, is in the process of being drastically changed, interesting and "expensive" times ahead indeed.

Greetings

Henties

Last edited:
Unable to provide any feedback on 32 bit apps in Catalina beta 8, sorry. Have weened my Mojave system I use daily from 32 bit apps already some time ago. Wasn't difficult at all. The apps I wrote myself were easy to convert, with all other apps I use being available in 64 bit versions from my suppliers.

@Henties,

Thank for the update .... I got a few 32bit apps that I use daily that at the moment have no 64 bit versions, some are in development ... it's ok as I'm in no hurry to upgrade to Catalina, perfectly happy with Mojave for the time being.

It will probably get forced up on me when Apple update FCPX to only work with Catalina ..

Cheers
Jay

Hi there.

I wonder if this might be the new code-signing checks /security in Catalina poking through. USBPorts.kext might fail security when out in the open - L/E - but work fine if 'hidden' from the OS in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

Good to learn :thumbup:
I entirely agree with your analysis on this particular aspect.

Greetings

Henties

@Henties,

Thank for the update .... I got a few 32bit apps that I use daily that at the moment have no 64 bit versions, some are in development ... it's ok as I'm in no hurry to upgrade to Catalina, perfectly happy with Mojave for the time being.

It will probably get forced up on me when Apple update FCPX to only work with Catalina ..

Cheers
Jay
Jay that is my concern as well. FCPX plays a major role in my general "workflow" however I hope it does not come to that that Apple forces us to transition to Catalina, when indeed Mojave is providing what I require and need, I do not want and need the extra gimmicks of Catalina. That is the reason why I keep a close watch in preserving my Mojave runtime environment as well as all the CCC backups I maintain for that beaut called Mojave 10.14.6 18G95 :)

Greetings

Henties

Catalina will do a house cleaning on your system before it start the installation. Any customized setting file/or modified file in system space and 32 bits apps will be saved into a folder for you. Some of the system files are even renamed with filename_previous and kept in the system space, no idea why, there's quite a lots of them, and it make the system look uncleaned, recommending fresh install Catalina is way to go. Even apple own app fcpx trial stop working with the beta, go figure!

Jay that is my concern as well. FCPX plays a major role in my general "workflow" however I hope it does not come to that that Apple forces us to transition to Catalina, when indeed Mojave is providing what I require and need

@Henties,

Apple will be pushing a heavily updated FCPX on the new Mac Pro when it finally releases later this year. It is possible that they might release a New Mac Pro specific version of FCPX but if not it will probably mean that FCPX min OS requirement will move from High Sierra to Catalina.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see ....

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey

totally agree... major software packages that I use would be obsolete, and very EXPENSIVE to replace... some are unreplacable since they are out of production but I have massive data in databases that can't be migrated to another product..

as time marches on I will likely have to run a VM with mojave just to keep these records alive

the thing is.... 'THEY' and you know the fruit company for which I speak.. quietly obsoletes the OS in many subtle and not so subtle ways

iPhotos for example.. I am still using El Cap as a daily driver, but iPhotos can't work with images and videos shot with modern iPhones.. it doest have the HEIC codecs.. etc

safari starts getting less and then no updates... leaving it worse un-secure, and then... can't connect eventually to some website due to obsolete code and security certificates

I know people that still have snow leopard going in production due to its stability but are cut off from the world more every year as there are no browser options available

I have a G4 mac mini that is still great fun, but again, cut off from the world

If I can ever get my machine to run Mojave (and apple fixes the latest supplementals 10.14.6 snafus) it will likely by my daily for years on this W3680.. the processor is more than I need... wont upgrade until I have to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back