Contribute
Register

macOS Catalina to be Available this October

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hardware installed in iMac or normal PC are the same. If Apple releases the OS system like Microsoft, then no one would buy Windows system anymore
So only the system makes apple devices so expensive, because it does not release it, so they have to agree what is installed in the device and with whom they do business (NVIDIA or AMD). This is known that Nvidia graphics card better than Amd but that is the strategy of Apple, they do what they wants and not what customers want :silent::rolleyes:

Apple, they do what they wants and not what customers want :silent::rolleyes:
I beg to differ, Apple's strategy is determined by merely one aspect and that is what they perceive to be best for the company and it's longevity, fullstop. To me that sounds more than reasonable.

So far they have not been doing too badly either, considering their humble beginnings in a backyard garage, then near bankruptcy, until Steve Jobs came back to "rescue" the company and now Jim Cook to continue what Steve Jobs had always been dreaming about for Apple. If Steve Jobs were in a position to judge Jim Cooks's leadership at Apple, he would be giving "full marks+" to his more than worthy successor.

I personally would never revert back to Windows fulltime to once again enjoy the so called "hardware freedom" what many seem to be missing in Apple's offerings, nevertheless I am still maintaining Win 10 installations in a multi-boot arrangement. However Windows just does not fit into my concept of distributed computing with distributed filesystems on top of that. It totally lacks the kind of security that I require in my kind of environment, and besides, it is totally unmanageable. What I do with a combination of macOS and Linux based "computing boxes/devices, including surveillance cameras" most people are just dreaming about. My computing environment seems complex for the uninitiated but it is indeed extremely cost effective to set up with total software independence on any original equipment supplier. Cost of ownership also remains negligible unlike from what one could expect from an equivalent "losedows" based setup.

Windows stability and security, or rather the lack of it, has over the decades always been a thorn in my flesh, with the registry being the "spinal cord" that controls everything and being the most exploited entity by people with malicious intent. Such a vulnerable "central artery system" just does not exist in the operating systems of the devices deployed by me for mission critical processes.

I wonder if anybody would be willing to be taken on a "joyride" to Mars or the Moon, in a spacecraft if they knew that it was being controlled by Windows as the operating system, just waiting for the
"BSD" to pop up, as it still does, or better still the message "A problem was encountered please try again" pops up and one does not even know what to try again :) I re-christianed "windows" to "losedows" long time ago and it will never be elevated to a "win" situation by me again.

Greetings

Henties

I beg to differ, Apple's strategy is determined by merely one aspect and that is what they perceive to be best for the company and it's longevity, fullstop. To me that sounds more than reasonable.

So far they have not been doing too badly either, considering their humble beginnings in a backyard garage, then near bankruptcy, until Steve Jobs came back to "rescue" the company and now Jim Cook to continue what Steve Jobs had always been dreaming about for Apple. If Steve Jobs were in a position to judge Jim Cooks's leadership at Apple, he would be giving "full marks+" to his more than worthy successor.

I personally would never revert back to Windows fulltime to once again enjoy the so called "hardware freedom" what many seem to be missing in Apple's offerings, nevertheless I am still maintaining Win 10 installations in a multi-boot arrangement. However Windows just does not fit into my concept of distributed computing with distributed filesystems on top of that. It totally lacks the kind of security that I require in my kind of environment, and besides, it is totally unmanageable. What I do with a combination of macOS and Linux based "computing boxes/devices, including surveillance cameras" most people are just dreaming about. My computing environment seems complex for the uninitiated but it is indeed extremely cost effective to set up with total software independence on any original equipment supplier. Cost of ownership also remains negligible unlike from what one could expect from an equivalent "losedows" based setup.

Windows stability and security, or rather the lack of it, has over the decades always been a thorn in my flesh, with the registry being the "spinal cord" that controls everything and being the most exploited entity by people with malicious intent. Such a vulnerable "central artery system" just does not exist in the operating systems of the devices deployed by me for mission critical processes.

I wonder if anybody would be willing to be taken on a "joyride" to Mars or the Moon, in a spacecraft if they knew that it was being controlled by Windows as the operating system, just waiting for the
"BSD" to pop up, as it still does, or better still the message "A problem was encountered please try again" pops up and one does not even know what to try again :) I re-christianed "windows" to "losedows" long time ago and it will never be elevated to a "win" situation by me again.

Greetings

Henties
Didn’t you mean Tim Cook or Tim/Apple?

Didn’t you mean Tim Cook or Tim/Apple?
I meant word for word what I submitted in #32 above. Nothing really to add to that from my side only that the direction, on the world stage, that Apple has sucessfully followed for decades now is not and never has been exclusively determined by Steve Jobs or Tim Cook. Any successful manger knows the importance that market forces and shareholder sentiments play in the overall descision making process in guiding a company to the path of succes and then manage in keeping it there. The opinions of a handful of hackers will never determine which hardware will finally find it's way into Apple's products. Should all the hackers worldwide club together and grab any Apple shares that might be available then it will still not buy them any significant say and influence over Apples longer term direction. The only path open to get the hardware into the computers you use daily is to follow Steve Jobs's example and build, what you perceive to be your the dream machine, in your own garage yourself. That option is however not for me therefore I throw in the towel, merrily continue hacking and on top of that use equipment readily available that satisfies my needs, even using other platforms if required.

Greetings

Henties

I've always been amazed that most of the Apple I motherboards designed and built by Woz still boot up today, 43 years later. Here's what he had to say about building the Apple One back in 1976.
And when Wozniak and Jobs first built Apple, “every single Apple project — computers, hard disks, everything — I had never designed those things ever in my life,” Wozniak said. “I had had no training in them, but I was so good at taking the little parts — like pieces of wood to build a building — that I could architect something that was perfect. And really better than the people that were used to doing it would do.”

And while some education and training is important, according to Wozniak, what’s more crucial is to be able to think creatively.

″[A] person who knows how to take the little elements and build on them, and write the book of how you actually put them into play, a person who comes up with the ability to write the book, I think is better than someone who knows how to do it from past experience,” Wozniak said.

Wozniak says it was because of his relative inexperience that he didn’t have “normal” expectations, and that gave him a competitive edge. As a result the disks and computers he designed used a fraction of the chips others did at the time.

“If I had had experience, I would have designed things with 50 chips instead of eight chips,” Wozniak said.

Last edited:
I've always been amazed that most of the Apple I motherboards designed and built by Woz still boot up today, 53 years later. Here's what he had to say about building the Apple One back in 1976.

I feel that old components were just made to last forever. Back in the days, people bought Sony Trinitron TVs and handed them down like family heirlooms. Nowadays, you'll be lucky if that shiny new Samsung TV lasts 5 years.

I feel that old components were just made to last forever. Back in the days, people bought Sony Trinitron TVs and handed them down like family heirlooms. Nowadays, you'll be lucky if that shiny new Samsung TV lasts 5 years.
I know what you mean. A relative of mine worked as a Colorist in Hollywood for about 35 years. He used mainly those 40-50,000 dollar Sony reference monitors instead of anything LCD based and no 4K monitors. They had to take really good care of them to keep them running but they last a really long time. Let's hope the new XDR monitors can hold their own.

he loss of OpenGL
So catalina no longer Supports Open GL ? CL ? I thought it will be just deprecating but still keep working?

related:

Apps built using OpenGL and OpenCL will continue to run in macOS 10.14, but these legacy technologies are deprecated in macOS 10.14. Games and graphics-intensive apps that use OpenGL should now adopt Metal.

Last edited:
I've always been amazed that most of the Apple I motherboards designed and built by Woz still boot up today, 43 years later. Here's what he had to say about building the Apple One back in 1976.
Your post down memory lane has awakened nostalgia which normally I do not experience when pondering about the past, but this one did, and pardon me but I will want to tell you why:
Many many moons ago, early 80's when my son was about 12, I bought him an Apple 2e, with all the books that I could lay my hands on. Two years later my son had successfully modified the floppy storage system so that its capacity increased from 180 kB to 360 KB using assembly language - Motorola - that was exceptionally well documented in the Apple 2e handbooks of the time.
In other words he doubled the storage capacity and that without any hardware modifications whatsoever inside the box. He discovered that the floppies at the time were indeed capable to handle data on both sides after he decided to sacrifice one floppy and cut out the backside of the floppy the same way that the top side was sporting when you purchased a new floppy. He then inserted that floppy reversed, formatted the thing and voila he could now store 360 KB on one storage medium.

In the end that proved to be not good enough.

After further tinkering inside the box he discovered that the read write head was indeed a double sided version, fully wired but not implemented software wise. Back to the books digging into the assembly language and voila some time later he managed to successfully modify the stock standard assembly code to read and write on both sides without the need to turn the floppy around when one side was full. He implemented writing and reading in a kind of "interlaced" way, similar to the process that PAL TV's were/are working. Even sectors on one side and odd sectors on the other side of the floppy.

I then encouraged him to publish what he had accomplished in a computer magazine he was subscribed to at the time. I think it was PC-Mag he published it in with an editor Dvorak, or so I think, being on the PC-Mag staff. Some weeks/months later PC-Mag's Dvorak contacted us to inquire whether it would be in order if he provided my son's contact details to Steve Jobs as he was interested to talk to him about the code he published in PC-Mag.
Again a considerable time later a letter arrived from Steve Jobs offering to purchase the code for
US$ 500.00 if I would sign an enclosed document in which I agreed to forfeit any copyright claims on behalf of my, who was a minor at the time. I signed, stupid as I was, my son received his US$ 500.00, bought himself the smartest racing bike that money could buy and that was the end of the story. If I had been a bit wiser at the time my son could today be one of Apple's major shareholders.

That concludes my story with Apple other than that Apple released the first Macintosh with storage medium that was double sided oob.

Hoping I have not bored you too much but it ties in with Steve Wozniak's modus operandi at the time always searching for better ways, often or rather mostly aquired from others, to improve his own creations.

Greetings

Henties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back