Register

macOS 12.6.6 "Could not load Bluetooth preference pane."

Motherboard
Honor MagicBook X15
CPU
i5-10210U
Graphics
UHD 620
Greetings. As you can see in the attached image when I try to open Bluetooth preferences, it says "Could not load the Bluetooth preference pane.", and "System Report" is unable to load Bluetooth information. Bluetooth sometimes works, and when it doesn't, this happens.

1686593548786.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    27.3 MB · Views: 57
You need to look in the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and rename all of the kexts so they end with .kext not .pkgf

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 21.05.20.png All kexts wrongly named!

You have USBMap.kext, USBToolBox.kext and UTBMap.kext in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder. But only USBMap.kext and USBToolBox.kext enabled and present in your config.plist. You don't need these two kexts to get your USB ports working, USBMap.kext will work on its own. When using UTBMap.kext you need to include USBToolBox.kext or the UTBMap.kext won't load.

Due to the misnaming of the kexts I can't inspect the contents of your USBMap.kext or UTBMap.kext to see which USB ports are being activated and which connector type is being used for each port.

First of all, thank you for your reply.
You need to look in the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and rename all of the kexts so they end with .kext not .pkgf
Actually, they end with ".kext":
Ekran Resmi 2023-06-13 00.09.39.png

I guess it ends with ".pkgf" because I zipped the folder to be able to be uploaded.
You have USBMap.kext, USBToolBox.kext and UTBMap.kext in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder. But only USBMap.kext and USBToolBox.kext enabled and present in your config.plist. You don't need these two kexts to get your USB ports working, USBMap.kext will work on its own. When using UTBMap.kext you need to include USBToolBox.kext or the UTBMap.kext won't load.
I just checked the "EFI" file I added to my post and in the "config.plist", just the "USBMap.kext" was enabled. But sorry for making the file contents confusing. I updated the file and added it again.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    27.3 MB · Views: 30
"I guess it ends with ".pkgf" because I zipped the folder to be able to be uploaded"

I don't think so. The new EFI zip still has *.kext.pkgf files instead of *.kext, but the *.efi files are still *.efi.

Your screengrab is from OpenCore Configurator just showing that the kexts are named as they should be in the config.plist.

"I guess it ends with ".pkgf" because I zipped the folder to be able to be uploaded"

I don't think so. The new EFI zip still has *.kext.pkgf files instead of *.kext, but the *.efi files are still *.efi.

Your screengrab is from OpenCore Configurator just showing that the kexts are named as they should be in the config.plist.

I checked the file information of the files in the "Kexts" folder individually, and I assure you, their file extensions are ".kext". I don't know why just the kexts are changed. And if their extensions weren't .kext, it wouldn't boot into macOS.

I checked the file information of the files in the "Kexts" folder individually, and I assure you, their file extensions are ".kext". I don't know why just the kexts are changed. And if their extensions weren't .kext, it wouldn't boot into macOS.

Fair enough. That's a good argument. :thumbup:

However I downloaded your Zip EFI and when extracted the kexts certainly have the *.pkgf appended to them.

This would lead me to suspect two possibilities:

1) You have more than one EFI partition in your system.

2) You are using some unusual archiving software and it is being very selective in files it adds *.pkgf to. Why would it do that? Not something I've ever seen before!

So, anyway, how many SSDs or HDDs do you have in your system? Any other operating systems?

Thank you for replying.

1) You have more than one EFI partition in your system.
These are the partitions in my system:

1686668248437.png

2) You are using some unusual archiving software and it is being very selective in files it adds *.pkgf to. Why would it do that? Not something I've ever seen before!
I don't know if that is the reason but I used WinRAR to zip the EFI folder. My system specs:

Honor MagicBook X15: Intel Core i5 10210U, Intel UHD Graphics 620, Realtek® ALC256 Codec, Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz, Western Digital SN730 512GB NVMe SSD, 2400MHz 8GB (4x2) Samsung RAM.

Windows 11 & macOS Monterey (12.6.6) with OpenCore 0.8.8 (single disk, w/o BootCamp).

Last edited:
Thank you for replying.

These are the partitions in my system:

View attachment 567753

I don't know if that is the reason but I used WinRAR to zip the EFI folder. My system specs:

Honor MagicBook X15: Intel Core i5 10210U, Intel UHD Graphics 620, Realtek® ALC256 Codec, Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz, Western Digital SN730 512GB NVMe SSD, 2400MHz 8GB (4x2) Samsung RAM.

Windows 11 & macOS Monterey (12.6.6) with OpenCore 0.8.8 (single disk, w/o BootCamp).

Okay, the SSD looks fine, although I do not see the Windows partition.

It is not recommended you use WinRAR to compress your files, but if you are using Windows to create it, understandable. Perhaps using PeaZip or some other utility might help correct the strange naming?

Have you tried without the IntelBTPatcher.kext?

All you should need in Monterey is the IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext and BlueToolFixup.kext.

Check you have activated both in the config.plist and set Misc/Security/SecureBootModel to "Disabled".

:)

Okay, the SSD looks fine, although I do not see the Windows partition.
I think the "SYSTEM" partition in this picture is the partition of Windows:

1686674873408.png

These are my volumes:

1686673923953.png

It is not recommended you use WinRAR to compress your files, but if you are using Windows to create it, understandable. Perhaps using PeaZip or some other utility might help correct the strange naming?
I zipped the file in Windows.

Have you tried without the IntelBTPatcher.kext?
I am gonna try right now.

All you should need in Monterey is the IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext and BlueToolFixup.kext.
In the "IntelBluetoothFirmware" section of OpenIntelWireless' website, it writes that:

What additional steps should I do to make Bluetooth work on macOS Monterey and newer​

1. Install IntelBTPatcher.kext (Depends on Lilu v1.6.2 or newer)
  2. Make sure IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext v2.2.0 or newer is used.
  3. Remove/Exclude IntelBluetoothInjector.kext for macOS Monterey and newer from the Bootloader's config
  4. Install BlueToolFixup.kext from acidanthera/BrcmPatchRAM

Check you have activated both in the config.plist and set Misc/Security/SecureBootModel to "Disabled".
"SecureBootModel" was selected as default.

In the "IntelBluetoothFirmware" section of OpenIntelWireless' website, it writes that:

Yes, it does. However I am suggesting that you try without. I have not needed to use the kext with my own Intel Bluetooth. It is worth testing. If it makes no difference, then at least we know. :thumbup:

"SecureBootModel" was selected as default.

I suggest trying "Disabled" because the security level might be blocking the kexts from loading. Again, I need this in my build.

You can always run kextstat from a Terminal window to double-check.

:)

Back