Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klaus said:
Project 2501 said:
I tried rolling back to v1.9.9f12 (the one in my 10.6.7 installation); it doesn't work either.

Strange. That one works for me.

Cheers - Klaus

Do you know if there are any compatibility issues using an older AppleHDA.kext with a newer OS?

Could someone post a step-by-step on the following from Tony's message for me please?

2. AUDIO: Apple has altered AppleHDA to break support for Realtek 889a- you will need to use AppleHDA Rollback through MultiBeast.

I've ticked Rollback & System Utilities in Multibeast, rebooted and still no audio after 10.6.8 update.

Everything else OK on Gigabyte P55A UD3.

Many thanks,

Steve

Here's the update for my Z68 box. This is a new box for lion. Basic OSX with no additional software installed.

1. Ran combo update with no problem.
2. Rebooted
3. Sits a grey apple screen for 1 min, 10 sec with no spinning wheel. Thought install was hosed, then bam, desktop appears.
4. No network, reinstalled Kext using Multibeast.
5. No sound, installed appleHDA rollback using Multibeast.
6. Rebooted with same long wait at apple grey screen until desktop appears.

Before update, I waited maybe 15 to 20 sec at grey apple screen.
Everything else seems to be fine.

i want to restore full USB functionality, but i cant use multibeast cause my mouse doesnt respond,
Can someone give me the kexts that i need?
thnx

Seems that no matter what I do I cannot get rid of the:

"No GUID is available. Contact Support for assistance."

Message when signing into the App Store.

Tried removing the network plist, changing the network settings, removing everything, re-booting, adding it, re-installing the drivers.

So I'm back at 10.6.7 for the time being :)

10.6.8 hosed my system as well. I tried installing using the combo update and software update, both with same result. My system would boot to the gray apple logo screen and stick there forever. There is no spinning wheel just a gray apple logo. I will go back to 10.6.7 for now.

jsuaggie said:
10.6.8 hosed my system as well. I tried installing using the combo update and software update, both with same result. My system would boot to the gray apple logo screen and stick there forever. There is no spinning wheel just a gray apple logo. I will go back to 10.6.7 for now.

Have you tried a NON-DSDT install yet? I built my first ground up Hack with the exact board you have, used nothing but EasyBeast, NVEnabler, LnX2Macs Realteck NIC drivers, with voodoo 0.2.1 audio drivers, and it was flawless to 10.6.7. Haven't updated that build yet (co-worker has it atm), but plan to try this weekend, or later this week.

Give it a go if you have a good cloned copy for saving your bacon should it not work. :)

I used the exact same method as i did for my iDell install, worked like a charm :thumbup:

~~Grave

Hey Folks,

I wanted to post a step-by-step solution that may help most people that are having issues with the 10.6.8 update. I had the sames issues (sitting at the white Apple screen after install of the update) and after reading through the various posts in this thread, I was able to pull together a workable solution outlined below:

1. PLEASE make a backup of your working 10.6.7 install using either time machine or clone copy.

2. You will need to make a copy of a few kexts from your working 10.6.7 and put them on your desktop. Below is the list of the ones you will need (for this example, I’m listing kexts for my specific graphics card family which is the ATI5000 because I now have the ATI 5770. You may need to copy a different set of kexts if you are having trouble with video after install):

a. AppleACPIPlatform.kext
b. IOPCIFamily.kext
c. ATI5000Controller.kext
d. ATIFramebuffer.kext
e. ATISupport.kext

3. Make sure you have a copy of kextbeast or some other kext installer. kextbeast is really easy to use and it will work with the kexts that you have copied to your desktop.

4. Download the combo update for 10.6.8. DO NOT USE SOFTWARE UPDATE.

5. Install the 10.6.8 combo update. DO NOT REBOOT.

6. Run kextbeast to reinstall your working kexts that you copied to the desktop.

7. Run multibeast. You will need to reenable UserDSDT (This is if you are using a DSDT file as I am. Make sure your DSDT file is on your desktop) and System Utilities. You will need to install your sound drivers again (ALC8xxHDA and AppleHDA Rollback). Select any other options you want/need. (I just reinstalled everything from the standard template. But you should only need the sound drivers.)

8. Reboot

9. Once you come back up, you will be at 10.6.8 with everything working as before.

My system setup is as follows:

Asus Sabertooth X58
Intel Core i7 960 3.2 Ghz
6 GB of DDR3 1333 RAM
1 TB SATA Seagate Drive (Windows 7 installed)
1 TB SATA Seagate Drive (Mac OS x 10.6.8 installed)
XFX ATI 5770 1 GB RAM Graphics Card

I've done it this way:

1. Install MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.dmg
2. Reboot
3. AppleHDA.kext via AppleHDARollback w/ Multibeast to get sound working

All works fine, sytem boots faster and the overall usage seems to be smoother and improved, likewise that also can be noticed on my MBP.

System is:
GA-P35-DQ6
C2D e8500
ASUS EAH6850
DSDT via Auto-Patcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back