Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i updated first with the plain software update and got stuck at PCI Configuration Begin... reinstalled with combo update and installed the two kexts ACPI and the IO from 10.6.7 as described earlier and everything seems to be okay....... except.... it goes to sleep and doesn't want to come back awake. shoot.

I tried the update, but it failed during initial installation. I followed the instructions from tonymac's blog and downloaded the full update combo package. The installation made it all the way up to "Moving items into place.." then had a kernel panic before finishing.

The first reboot with -v flag failed part way through and entered an automatic reboot. I threw in the -v flag once again and this time it made it to the desktop. I had the dock visible and the items in the menu bar minus the menu bar itself. I kept getting warnings about "Finder quit unexpectedly. Ignore or Send Report".

I tried getting back into the update combo package that was on the desktop through the terminal, but I was getting permission denied errors. My hack-fu is a bit rusty being with windows systems for so long.

I had to re-install from the retail dvd through the 10.6.7 update, multibeast, bridgehelper, and tony's nvidia update to get back to where I was before the attempt. Now I'm a bit leery to try again.

Update:
Success!

I tried again. First thing I did was delete the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext.
Then I touched the Extensions folder.
Used MultiBeast 3.7.3 System Utilities to repair permissions.

*At this point I should have rebooted as posted by others that ran into the issue of not completing the combo update. I found out that the reboot will clear the kext out of the cache - deleting it without reboot leaves it loaded in the system.*

I ran the 10.6.8 update again. This time it made it past "Moving items into place..." and proceeded to panic at "Registering Components...". However, when I rebooted this time, I was able to make it to the Desktop with Finder fully functional. I ran MultiBeast again reinstalling sound options, system utilities, bootloader and 64 bit. Then I installed the new Nvidia driver package and rebooted again.

Everything is functional now as far as I can tell. Not sure if it's actually smoother or quicker, but it sure feels that way. Now I'm wondering if I should try the update again just in case something is missing. The installer experienced a KP just before finishing.

loulou123 said:
Got the same here (core i3-2100 + Giada mini-itx motherboard). I found that which works perfectly well for me, from insanelymac (Kyle_C @ May 24 2011, 03:11 PM):
[...]
* use iBoot to install SL retail (Note: I guess it works from a 10.6.7 too)
* remove ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext (to prevent a KP during OS update), touch /System/Library/Extensions, and reboot (Note: in my case I reboot with iboot 3.1.0)
* update to 10.6.8, but don't reboot
[... keep going with standard stuff, multibeast etc...]

I don't know how you knew to kill the ACPI_SMC kext, but it's the only thing that's allowed me to get past the 10.6.8 combo update kernel panic!

in my case, after my retail SL install, I couldn't find the kext you mentioned - it was buried inside (show package contents) the IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext
Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents
/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/
So I just removed the whole IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext, then rebooted, then attempted the 10.6.8 update.

I don't know why/how that kext causes problems with the combo updater. Is it a problem that I don't have that kext in S/L/E anymore? My system is booting/running fine afaik...

I do have the constant problem of Multibeast (even the latest 3.7.3) always saying "install failed" right at the end. Seems to get everything, though... Also tends to cause the installer app to crash while picking options...

Mobo: Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 rev 1.1
CPU: Intel i3-2100
GFX: nvidia 7600GT

Update went uneventfully here. Video and network came up fine, audio is external via USB. Best of luck to everyone with their update.

Also, I should note that my shutdown times improved greatly after this update. It used to take about 30 seconds for the computer to power down or restart. Now it takes only a few seconds. Still can't come out of sleep mode, so the system is set to never sleep.

GA H61M-USB3-B3 with i5 2400 fully working now.

for a kp free installation on this setup, I started with an already working install of snow (10.6.7 with Bridge Helper). then did a fresh install to a different hard drive with 10.6.3 but don't run multibeast yet. Once you watch the osx intro vid on your new install and set your system up, reboot to your other hard drive's working installation. Then, run the 10.6.8 update, but select your fresh install drive as the destination. I found that this is the only way i could complete the update without kernel panics...(updating from the fresh install drive was kp every time) Once the update finishes, reboot to your newly updated drive...and since it's sandy bridge native in 10.6.8 (if you've got chimera installed already for your working drive...hopefully you do), you should be able to toggle to your new installation from the bootloader and boot with no problems. The DSDT in the database only has minimal edits, so to get audio working...i took the easy way out and downloaded DSDT auto patcher from kexts.com. Run DSDT auto patcher to get your dsdt.aml on the desktop...then, run Multibeast with DSDT installation, add IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector. and since the auto patched dsdt file has the audio patch taken care of, you should be good to go for the 889 kexts (may need to delete vanilla appleHDA kext in s/l/e first). Then for ethernet, i used kext utility and the AtherosL1cEthernet.kext

Still rockin the old school 8400gs, so i didn't run into any problems with gfx.

Good luck everyone!

Everything went fine for me the following were the steps I took

1. Downloaded the 10.6.8 update from the apple webpage
2. Ran permission repair
3. Installed the update
4. Repaired permissions again
5. Rebooted everything loaded fine but didn't have sound
6. Ran multibeast checked off system utilities, AppleHDA Rollback
7. Rebooted
8. Everything seems to be working 100%

Used the stand-alone combo updater on my base install of Mac OS X v10.6.7 (ext HDD).

Tested the following using Chimera 1.4.1 Bootloader + custom DSDT + GE=no:

• Quartz Extreme: Works!
    [/*:m:34bqygdp]
  • Built-in Sound: Broken!
  • Sound Out (2 ch): Broken!
  • USB: Works!
  • Firewire 400: Works!
  • Ethernet: Works!
  • iPod Touch Sync: Works![/*:m:34bqygdp]

The new AppleHDA.kext doesn't work with either Legacy889aHDA.kext or ALC8xxHDA.kext. I tried rolling back to v1.9.9f12 (the one in my 10.6.7 installation); it doesn't work either. Only rolling back to v1.7.9a4 (the one that comes with Multibeast) solved the problem.

:( *sigh* I bought my motherboard even though it was already obsolete, because up until now, the ALC889a codec didn't need the rollback. I think I'll delay updating my working installation to see if another solution that doesn't need a rollback comes up.

Are there any issues I should be aware of when using the older AppleHDA.kext with the newer Mac OS? If it doesn't matter, maybe I'll go ahead and install it anyway.

got pk when updating from software update, then pk when booting after failed installation, now im stuck there :D

in verbose mode i got: missing mach_kernel error, can someone upload that file for me, plox <3

Hi,

I've done 10.6.8 update and after reboot, impossible to have usb ports available (and so keyboard and mouse don't work and I can't open a session...)

I try with a ps/2 keyboard and mouse, the same problem.

Please, help

thanks

Project 2501 said:
I tried rolling back to v1.9.9f12 (the one in my 10.6.7 installation); it doesn't work either.

Strange. That one works for me.

Cheers - Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back